Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Violently sick 2 year old with temperature of 39.7

(11 Posts)
Piffpaffpoof Wed 23-May-18 04:28:39

As the title says and I cannot get her to take any calpol. Not sure how to handle it, should it be getting the calpol down her no matter what? Her body feels on fire and I’m quite concerned.

Birdsgottafly Wed 23-May-18 04:43:12

Yes get the Calpol into her, anyway you can.

Scrambledheads Wed 23-May-18 05:15:53

Nurse here. The temp is the body's natural reaction to the bug that's causing the sickness and actually helps fight the illness. I know it's scary, but try a cool flannel or removing layers/clothing as calpol is sugary and will probably be vomited up anyway. Concentrate on getting small amounts of fluids (calpol syringe) into her regularly.
If she becomes confused/difficult to rouse/floppy or develops a rash that doesn't disappear when pressed, or she does not have a wet nappy for more than 6 hours, then I would recommend a & e.
I hope she's better soon. Make sure you look after yourself too.

Piffpaffpoof Wed 23-May-18 05:40:00

Thank you both very much. I will try the calpol little by little. She has dozed back off now with just a nappy on but is still very hot. I’m hoping she will sleep a lot of it off.

PurpleWithRed Wed 23-May-18 06:20:24

This is from the NICE website about fever in the under 5's [https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg160/ifp/chapter/Measuring-your-childs-fever]:

if your child is older than 6 months the height of their temperature alone is not the most useful indicator of whether they are seriously ill

You should not use paracetamol or ibuprofen simply to lower your child's temperature or to try to prevent a febrile convulsion (a fit, or seizure, caused by fever) because studies have shown that paracetamol and ibuprofen do not reduce the risk of convulsions. However, it is okay to give your child one of these medicines if they have a fever and they are distressed or unwell.

Paracetamol and ibuprofen should not be given at the same time. If you give your child one of these medicines and they are still distressed before the next dose of this medicine is due, you may want to consider using the other. Only use these medicines for as long as your child feels unwell or distressed, and ask your healthcare professional if you need more information. Always check the instructions on the medicine bottle or packet.

Your healthcare professional should advise you:

to offer your child regular drinks (if you are breastfeeding then breast milk is best)

to look for signs that your child may be dehydrated (dry mouth, no tears, sunken eyes, sunken fontanelle – the soft spot on a baby's head)

to encourage your child to drink more fluids if they are dehydrated, and seek further advice if you are worried

how to look for and identify a non-blanching rash (a rash that does not disappear with pressure) that could be a sign of meningitis

to check on your child during the night

to keep your child away from school or nursery while they have a fever, and notify them of your child's absence.

Fever is a natural and healthy response to infection, so do not try to reduce your child's fever by over or under dressing them, or by sponging them with water.

That said, you do need to be watching out for dehydration - hence the small constant sips/syringes of water.

huha Wed 23-May-18 06:28:52

Strip her and cool flannel. Don't force calpol if it's going to come straight back up.

Snorfig Wed 23-May-18 07:00:35

We’ve had a pukey feverish 2yo for 36h now. Calpol comes up after an hour or so. She’s drinking water (I’m giving her a tiny bit in a cup so she can’t overdo it) and making wet nappies. When they were tiny we used to do paracetamol suppositories but you can’t get them anywhere now. Sending a hug x

Saturdayselling Wed 23-May-18 07:09:31

Hey OP, scrambled said to get liquids into your child using the calpol syringe not small bits of calpol. Easy to be confused when you're shattered!

knockknockknock Wed 23-May-18 07:50:24

Try ice lollies if you have any.

Pangolinqueen Wed 23-May-18 11:46:36

Thank you everyone. We haven’t moved off the sofa today, I have just taken her temp again and it’s 39.8. She has just fallen asleep on me. I can’t get her to eat or drink anything. Ice lollies is a good idea but even those which she would normally never refuse won’t tempt her.

Montsti Wed 23-May-18 12:23:37

I live abroad and we use suppositories for these situations (and whenever mine were babies/toddlers as so much easier to administer) can you get hold of them? We can get them over the counter. At least they won’t spit them back up and, once the temperature is lower then they should be able to take in some liquid.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: