Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Do you collect anything? What and how many do you have?

(56 Posts)
Ohmylord59789234 Tue 22-May-18 19:52:41

Just that really, I'm thinking of starting a collection of ornaments
How many items are in your collection?
How often do you buy items?
How much do you spend?
And do you think your collection will ever be complete,
Also have you ever collected anything then changed your mind and got rid of them
Just wondering, thanks

Aprilmightbemynewname Tue 22-May-18 19:54:33

Dc
grin

Ohmylord59789234 Tue 22-May-18 19:56:30

Ha I won't be collecting anymore children!

Ktay Tue 22-May-18 20:05:35

I love all sort of kitsch but restrict myself to cheesy royal memorabilia so it doesn't get out of hand. Probably have getting on for 100 items but that includes small thimbles and spoons. I rarely spend more than a fiver and more like a couple of quid (plus eBay postage) on each thing. It is amazing what they'll put a royal name on - have found Charles and Di wedding telephones, digital watches, soaps and flasks recently!

Not got rid of anything as yet...

Ktay Tue 22-May-18 20:07:48

Oh and I go through phases of buying - sometimes get sick of the sight of it so won't look on eBay for a while; also depends what I spot in the charity shop. Probably averages out at a couple of things a month?

iklboo Tue 22-May-18 20:10:05

Vintage compacts. I think I have about 40 now.

Sitranced Tue 22-May-18 20:11:38

Pressed pennies from tourist attractions from all over the world which cost about a penny! Plus a quid or so for the machine. I have about 20/30 and the collection will never be complete. My favourite one is a cent from the Statue of Liberty in NYC.

3legs Tue 22-May-18 20:13:52

Bikes. Right now I have 6 built bmx, another 8 bmx frames, 3 roads bikes, 2 mountain bikes and a few (3?) hybrids.

Ohmylord59789234 Tue 22-May-18 20:14:22

I'm worried I'll feel it's a waste of money, I can afford it, I suppose everything's a waste of money except housing/heat/food etc

RumAppleGinger Tue 22-May-18 20:16:35

Signed first editions. Generally just the books that I absolutely love and want to feel close to but if I spot one that has done quite well or won a prize I might pick it up too. I have about 20 so far.

3legs Tue 22-May-18 20:27:48

I guess part of it (in my opinion) is either the items being cheap enough that it doesn't matter if you lose the passion and get rid, or then having some sort of resale value (which is my collection). I don't think you make a conscious decision that "I collect xyz now", for me it was more of a passion that developed and gradually, before I knew it, I had a garage full of bikes!

EnglishGirlApproximately Tue 22-May-18 20:29:45

More of a scrapbook idea I had than a collection but I have a beer bottle label and a low denominator bank note from every country I’ve visited.

Ohmylord59789234 Tue 22-May-18 20:33:56

I've collected things in the past and then sold them on when the dc were little as we had no space, but have more space and time now, they will have good resale value if I did change my mind I suppose

Interesting to see all the different items people are collecting!!

CrazyHippo Tue 22-May-18 20:36:11

Snow globes from places ive been. Got about 30.. forgetting once that they contain liquid coming back through airport security was interesting.

Redtartanshoes Tue 22-May-18 20:38:48

Gin grin

Currently have 25 open bottles and about the same empty

vampirethriller Tue 22-May-18 20:40:08

Antique jelly moulds with pictures of pineapples. The older the better. No idea why, I just think they're lovely. Used to have about 20 but had to leave them when I went into a refuge, I've got six in my new collectiongrin

TroysMammy Tue 22-May-18 20:43:52

Paperweights. About 20. The last one I bought, pictured, was on a whim. The one before was for my 50th birthday. My friends clubbed together to give me money so I naturally bought one called friendship.

Ohmylord59789234 Tue 22-May-18 20:46:25

So many unusual items! I was expecting run of the mill stuff like h Samuels ornaments etc!

Like the idea of a gin collection smile

HandbagCrazy Tue 22-May-18 20:48:02

Baubles and bookmarks from every place I visit.

Bookmark collection started when I was about 5 so I have lots (from as close as my local museum and as far away as Russia). I change them randomly when reading a book and have certain ones that I like for some books more than others blush DH thinks I'm a bit nuts!

Bauble collection started when I first went on holiday for Christmas when I was early 20s. Have about 35 I think. Love going through them every year.

Sunshineintheclouds Tue 22-May-18 20:48:27

CrazyHippo

Me too!! From places I visit, people buy me them on special occasions, I pick them up if I see one I like out and about.

Love them they sit proudly in my glass cabinet grin

HandbagCrazy Tue 22-May-18 20:51:39

This also reminds me, I collect a coin in every currency for places we visit and try and buy some local booze.

DH collects sports memorabilia and car manuals 🙄

tarheelbaby Tue 22-May-18 20:59:18

diamonds grin any size is ok but I prefer the bigger ones.

CoolCarrie Tue 22-May-18 21:01:38

Russian nesting dolls, book marks, Victorian mourning jewellery and Lovers eye jewellery.
The first Russian doll was a present from friends of my parents, and I got it when I was 7. The book marks are from all over the place, mainly charity shops. The mourning and lovers eye jewellery can be expensive, especially if it’s an unusual piece,like a male eye, instead of the more usual female eye. I have 10 in total, rings, brooches, toothpick boxes and necklaces.

Eastie77 Tue 22-May-18 21:02:04

Not sure it counts but I've retained the ticket and programme from every theatre show I've ever watched. The tickets are all in a scrapbook and the programmes in a box.

QuinionsRainbow Tue 22-May-18 22:58:27

Stamps - lots! Boring, I know.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: