Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Dehumidifier instead of a tumble dryer?

(8 Posts)
Cornettoninja Tue 22-May-18 17:53:55

We're looking at houses to rent and one we like only has a washer/dryer (the horror!).

We could possibly squeeze a dryer in somewhere and I don't mind buying one but I'm sure I've seen people in her extol the virtues of dehumidifiers for getting clothes dry and wondered if it's quickish and less hassle then trying to shoe horn in a bulky dryer?

I really use our dryer at the moment if the weathers shite and don't want to have to wait for a load to wash and dry whilst I've got piles sitting every where. I tend to do two or three loads in a day once or twice a week at the moment.

Cornettoninja Tue 22-May-18 17:54:49

Not sure if it's drier??? Sorry to any pendants driven demented if that's wrong grin

CMOTDibbler Tue 22-May-18 17:56:36

Dehums are brilliant. I have a big airer from Lakeland (the sort with wings), and everything that can go on a hanger does as you get more air flow. I can get two loads in the airer easily

BackToTheFuschia7 Tue 22-May-18 17:57:11

We have both but I’d really miss the tumble dryer. The dehumidifier means you have washing hanging around on a clothes horse, I’d rather pop them in the dryer than have mess/ clutter around the house.

Millipedewithherfeetup Tue 22-May-18 17:59:37

I would opt for a tumble dryer... you will still have to have a space to put the airer and the dehumidifier.. I've seen a few people mention about putting the dryer under the stairs (condenser not vented) would that be an option ?

Cornettoninja Tue 22-May-18 18:02:06

I do love the tumblr dryer - sorry any environmentalists, I very rarely fly though! - it's amazing for getting off cat hair and fluff off dark clothes.

I thought I might be able to live with a washer dryer for a few select bits and alternative for the rest.

Cornettoninja Tue 22-May-18 18:04:50

Definitely no space under the stairs, it's in the living room anyway so I wouldn't want it there.

I can definitely find the room (I'd have it in the bedroom if it came to it) but dp keeps pulling faces whenever I run through the options because he wants it in the garage (with no door from the house) which would be a pretty much unusable for me with a clingy toddler in tow.

Thought I'd explore the options with the wisdom of mumsnet!

DrDreReturns Tue 22-May-18 18:07:01

We use a dehumidifier but we have space to leave clothes out on a clothes horse. You also have the hassle of putting your clothes on the clothes horse after they've been washed. However it is kinder to your clothes than a tumble dryer - they aren't directly heated and they aren't tossed around whilst drying.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: