Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Why do people leave reviews like this on Amazon?

(76 Posts)
Navy0 Tue 22-May-18 10:29:31

Why would you leave a review if you didn't even buy it?!

DianaPrincessOfThemyscira Tue 22-May-18 10:37:56

“Bought as a gift, haven’t given it yet”.

Thanks. Helpful. grin

SparklyMagpie Tue 22-May-18 10:39:19

😂😂 I have no idea!

I admit I love reading through reviews just as some can be comedy gold

This is one that would give me a little chuckle

SparklyMagpie Tue 22-May-18 10:40:17

I actually now want to read more of John's reviews...maybe find a little gem hidden somewhere

RhythmNBooze Tue 22-May-18 10:40:23

Because they're idiots grin

DGRossetti Tue 22-May-18 10:41:05

Why would you leave a review if you didn't even buy it?!

Mainly, because it costs nothing ...

MayFayner Tue 22-May-18 10:43:29

The "answers" to potential buyer's questions are often bizarre too.

I think a lot of people think they are being asked the question personally. "Sorry, I don't know" features quite heavily. Don't answer if you don't know fgs!

AvoidingDM Tue 22-May-18 10:54:20

The big question is why do Amazon not delete them?

bubbleroad Tue 22-May-18 10:56:18

I figured it was because Amazon send you an email headed something like "what did you think of...?"and people literally just reply. hmm

Meckity1 Tue 22-May-18 10:56:56

www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R2DUEGOALTH7TS/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_viewpnt?ASIN=B00DE4GWWY&tag=mumsnetforum-21&ie=UTF8#R2DUEGOALTH7TS

Ivymaud Tue 22-May-18 11:06:34

grin

Or some people miss the point of the book reviews (and think it's like eBay seller reviews) and say things like "The packaging it came in was damaged."

DGRossetti Tue 22-May-18 11:15:56

The big question is why do Amazon not delete them?

Because it would cost too much (cf. it costing nothing to post grin). (I have to admit that if all this "AI" hype can't sort out a few useless Amazon reviews, I would be less that confident it can treat cancer ....)

QuinionsRainbow Tue 22-May-18 11:18:06

* "Sorry, I don't know" features quite heavily. Don't answer if you don't know fgs!*
This one, or something similar, features on MN quite regularly, too!

WhatCanIDoNowPlease Tue 22-May-18 11:19:11

'One star because it didnt arrive in time because there was a postal strike'

'I'm giving it as a present in a month so cant comment'

DianaPrincessOfThemyscira Tue 22-May-18 11:22:31

It is because Amazon will email asking for your opinion. People will blithely follow requests to give their opinions! wink

I think my favourite was a bloke who unfavourably reviewed a Kindle. He made note of the fact he didn’t want to pay out for the backlight, and that he was most upset he not only couldn’t read in the dark, he couldn’t read in the rain!

Like - ok fella. Maybe stay inside the tent with a torch next time?!

Fabricwitch Tue 22-May-18 11:28:30

I always assume these people are computer illiterate.
Something like this has happened:
Their teenage son has left his email logged into on their computer. They don't realise and think it's their email. They open an email from Amazon and it's asking them to leave a review for something they never bought, so they politely tell Amazon this.

DextroDependant Tue 22-May-18 11:31:14

Oh the questions and answers!! They drive me nuts.

gluteustothemaximus Tue 22-May-18 11:32:53

There are some right corkers out there.

‘Great book, can’t wait to read it’

‘Not opened yet but looks lovely in the box’

‘Bought as a present, so can’t comment’

Then there’s the ones that put their life stories on there.

Amazon questions are the worst. But they are funny to read grin

Smeaton Tue 22-May-18 11:37:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheFuckfaceWhisperer Tue 22-May-18 11:43:18

I remember one person reviewing a book, something along the lines of "Good book, enjoyed the story but can only give it two stars because the pages don't stay open when you're reading it"

Zaphodsotherhead Tue 22-May-18 11:51:50

Yes, it's because Amazon send an email about three days after purchase 'perhaps you'd like to review this product.'

A lot of people are rather stupid and don't realise THEY DON'T HAVE TO REPY IMMEDIATELY! They panic and think 'oh god, Amazon want me to review it, and I haven't even looked at it yet, oh well, I'll just have to say something!'

We authors are plagued by these reviews. 1* 'looks good, haven't read it yet'. Because people don't realise that low starring reviews pull our whole average down and they don't have to review as soon as they get the email. Grrrrr....

Shattered04 Tue 22-May-18 12:18:30

Love that it's a "verified purchase" even though he apparently didn't buy it too!

The questions crack me up as well, I do think it's a certain type of naive person who feels they have to answer every email. I assume they are lucky enough to not get the volumes most of us get! The answers are always littered with "I don't know" or "Why don't you Google it?"

smoothieooo Tue 22-May-18 12:28:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mirime Tue 22-May-18 12:32:25

I love it when someone reviews their postman/whatever the delivery service is rather than the item. Saw one once, one star review because the parcel was left in the middle of their lawn.

LisaSimpsonsbff Tue 22-May-18 12:34:56

I remember a housemate and I once looking through the reviews for a super-strength mould remover we had just bought in hysterics - every single reviewer had felt the need to give an elaborate explanation of how their house had ended up with a severe black mould problem, and why it wasn't their fault. It was like they imagined they would be personally judged as a consumer of the product. No one cares! Just tell us if it works!

Reviews of pregnancy tests on Amazon also tend towards the alarmingly and unnecessarily personal.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: