Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Why does every food bloat me?!?

(20 Posts)
llmb Tue 22-May-18 08:21:26

I know wheat and dairy are the main culprit so I don’t eat a lot of those. I wake up and my stomach is relatively flat (as much as it can be without being at the gym 24/7) but as soon as I have anything it bloats and as I’m quite slim I look pregnant as just the front is bloated not all round if you get what I mean?

IV tried having Skyr yoghurt today with flax seeds, chia seed and blue berries but twang and out it comes (yes I know skyr is dairy) what’s wrong with me?! What can I eat that’s healthy for breakfast (small appetite for breakfast) that won’t wony bloat me?

Thank you for bothering to read!

ShowMeTheElf Tue 22-May-18 08:27:19

If wheat ad dairy are the main culprits cut them out completely for a fortnight and see how you do.
If you are still eating things which you know are triggers it will be impossible to recognise any other issues.

specialsubject Tue 22-May-18 08:41:35

go see a doctor. bloating after eating that doesnt go in a few days needs checking.

llmb Tue 22-May-18 10:36:32

Doctors aren’t interested though.... they just say IBS which I don’t have as I don’t have any toileting problems....

StUmbrageinSkelt Tue 22-May-18 10:38:12

Dietician, particularly one expert in fodmap.

Dowser Tue 22-May-18 10:44:33

I might be worth looking at your blood group diet just as a guideline to see if something else is triggering it

Do you take a probiotic.
Maybe having kefir instead of skyr may be better
I really can’t have lactose. I can tolerate some gluten but mustn’t go overboard

llmb Tue 22-May-18 11:01:54

I can’t afford a dietician blush

I have no idea of my blood group... presumably you need that to try that diet? Would doctor surgery give me that information?

I’m struggling to lose half a stone that appeared end of last year, I never put on weight and I can’t shift it despite keeping active and low calorie..

MontalbanoFan Tue 22-May-18 11:02:16

Chia seeds play havoc with my digestion - something to do with how they swell up in the stomach and intestines. Even a small pinch of them is enough to bloat me out for a couple of days. Nasty little things shock .

ProzacAndWine Tue 22-May-18 11:11:13

Could you maybe be having a reaction to the FODMAP stuff? ("Fermentable Oligosaccharides, Disaccharides, Monosaccharides, and Polyols, which are short chain carbohydrates and sugar alcohols that are poorly absorbed by the body, resulting in abdominal pain and bloating" www.medicinenet.com/low_fodmap_diet_list_of_foods_to_eat_and_avoid/article.htm ) I think those are a common source for issues with IBS, and trying to have a low (or at least lower) FODMAP diet could prove useful?

llmb Tue 22-May-18 13:50:51

I don’t eat a lot of the food that is on the foods to avoid.... I only have been eating skyr yoghurt for breakfast for the last week. Iv only been having it as I was making a smoothie with banana, almond milk , nut butter, flax seed, chia seed and 3 dates but on another thread about weight loss everyone said I shouldn’t eat smoothies as I’m trying to lose weight. Doesn’t leave a lot of options as I don’t like that sour bread thing and can’t stomach eggs for breakfast..

ShowMeTheElf Tue 22-May-18 15:42:38

So you are trying to low carb and avoid wheat and dairy and lose weight all at once?
Honestly, if you can get to the root of the bloating issue you'll feel better straight away, so concentrate ion that. Put yourself on to a very simple low allergen diet for a fortnight then reintroduce one item at a time, 2 days at a time. Within month you should have a clear idea of what your bloating triggers are, then you =can make a low carb or low calorie diet around your own health limitations.
Good luck..

shutthedoorbob Tue 22-May-18 15:45:38

I'm the same op. Start of the day I look skinny then after breakfast I look 6 months pregnant. Today I only ate mango for breakfast and even that made me bloated 🤮

llmb Tue 22-May-18 16:38:44

I don’t low carb for a diet, I just low carb as it bloats me and gives me tummy ache so I hardly ever eat bread, pasta, pizza etc.. and the wheat is in those carbs... I limit the amount of dairy as i know it bloats and gives me tummy ache if I have too much.... trying to lose weight is a new thing to me...:

specialsubject Tue 22-May-18 22:21:07

it may be nothing to do with your digestion.

it is an ovarian cancer flag. I really really hope not but get checked to rule it out. as you said you look pregnant I am assuming you are female.

llmb Wed 23-May-18 05:53:57

Iv been checked for that before special and was completely clear. I had an abdo scan earlier this year (different problem) and was completely clear aswell. Yes I’m female

RussianBluee Wed 23-May-18 06:40:35

German rye bread and peanut butter doesnt bloat me but has calories.

MumOfDiamonds Wed 23-May-18 06:44:21

This was me and every now and then still is if I over do the dairy. I was diagnosed with coeliac in 2012, with a blood test and an endoscope after my iron plummeted. I'd had symptoms for about 4 years prior my diagnoses.

llmb Wed 23-May-18 06:47:08

I don’t have any other gastric problems though, toileting all fine and regular?

llmb Wed 23-May-18 06:53:00

Have just had a small glass of warm water.... now my belly feels like Iv drunk 2 litres in one go?

specialsubject Wed 23-May-18 08:37:32

oh good, relieved to hear that.

still needs a doctor to listen!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: