Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Have just seen a teeny tiny little mouse...

(31 Posts)
GoodAfternoonSeattle Mon 21-May-18 23:14:12

For the second time today.

The first time he ran through the living room while I was on the phone, wiggled his fat little bottom under the door and disappeared into the cupboard under the stairs.

Just sat on the sofa in the kitchen with a wee wine and saw him take a casual stroll under the washing machine. DH saw him too so I’m not seeing things 🐭 (DH is raging at the nerve of him. “Strutted around the kitchen like he owned the place”)

I hope it’s the same mouse 😕

Fuck do we do now? He seems to cause no harm. I haven’t seen any evidence of mice other than seeing him twice today.

Passingwords Mon 21-May-18 23:21:19

Oh dear there will be many, unless you have a cat and it may have escaped being dinner. For tonight-- all food locked away- mice can dislocate all of their bones and get through gaps as small as a pencil! They are also incontinent and leak mouse pee onto everything they walk on! Think I'd ring environmental health or pest control tomorrow to get rid and give advice on what you should do to block up holes in your house. Ram a towel under your bedroom door and put earplugs in and try to forget you saw/ heard them until morning

OliviaStabler Mon 21-May-18 23:25:38

Catch him / her humanely. Humane trap on top of newspaper (so mouse doesn't freeze overnight), bait the trap with chocolate, stinky soft cheese or peanut butter.

Catch mouse, release far from home. Job done.

zstar Mon 21-May-18 23:28:14

How are you so calm blushblushblushblushblushshockshockshock

Ariela Mon 21-May-18 23:28:37

Where there is 1 there are at least 10 more....

GoodAfternoonSeattle Mon 21-May-18 23:29:12

I dunno 🤷🏻‍♀️ I’m barely coping with life as it is. What’s one more problem.

UrsulaPandress Mon 21-May-18 23:30:09

We had a beautiful mouse in our last house. Just the one.

And we've had a mouse in the conservatory earlier in the year but he's gone now.

GoodAfternoonSeattle Mon 21-May-18 23:30:36

It’ll need to be traps. Humane or otherwise.

I have two toddlers I can’t put poison down I’m too scared they get hold of it

FauxFox Mon 21-May-18 23:33:30

In our last house I caught two mice on two consecutive nights in a humane trap. I set them free in a lovely wooded area about a mile away and made sure to set the second one free in the same place in case they were good buddies grin I hope they lived long and happy lives and their mouse-decendants are still populating the area! There were no more, just the two.

GoodAfternoonSeattle Mon 21-May-18 23:34:36

We live fairly rurally with fields and farmland nearby. I was hoping they might have just been passing through.

Childrenofthesun Mon 21-May-18 23:35:54

It's mouse-baby time at the moment. I have been researching traps since my lovely cat brought me a live gift while I was in bed the other night and it escaped angry. I was going to go for one of the ones that catch them alive but read that the mouse can get very distressed so I bought a spring trap that will hopefully kill the poor thing immediately. Haven't lured it out of hiding yet though.

WatchoutDSisdriving Mon 21-May-18 23:36:37

Yep humane traps. You can get them from amazon probably on prime.

We get voles usually that the cats didn’t finish off. We find chocolate in the trap in the area you last saw one usually tempts them in less than half an hour. It often works in 10-15 minutes for us. We have hen just release to the garden.

GoodAfternoonSeattle Mon 21-May-18 23:37:32

If you release them into the garden do they not just come back in??

WatchoutDSisdriving Mon 21-May-18 23:38:08

They don’t here because they only end up in the house because a cat has brought them in.

PickAChew Mon 21-May-18 23:42:23

Humane traps are far from it. At best they still come back to their family. More likely they meet an horrible death on foreign territory.

Get a good neck snapper. We keep a big cheese trap in a box under the sofa.

x2boys Mon 21-May-18 23:56:10

it's just not true that if you see one mouse there are many, I lived near a river we used to get a mouse every winter and it was just one mouse presumably it came in because it was cold it really depends on where you live

GoodAfternoonSeattle Mon 21-May-18 23:57:25

How did you know it was just one mouse?

GoodAfternoonSeattle Mon 21-May-18 23:58:06

A lot of the humane traps on amazon have reviews that say teeny tiny mice can get the bait without triggering the trap. Any recommendations??

x2boys Tue 22-May-18 00:00:14

very small flat and once we caught it there were no more.

x2boys Tue 22-May-18 00:01:25

snap traps were the only things that worked for us unfortunately.

Thewhale2903 Tue 22-May-18 00:06:46

There prob at is just one. Put down humane traps if you have young children. We have had mice in the house. My son saw it and I could see it under my son's drawers but my partner didn't believe us, then I found droppings and scratches in a candle I kept on the bottom of the fireplace grin. Also had them in our cabin at centre Parcs grin

newmumwithquestions Tue 22-May-18 06:44:23

Humane trap. And try to block any holes to stop them coming in again. (Holes round skirting etc).

It’s not necessarily the case that if you see one there are lots. We had one clever little one in the house for months. We called him Pedro. Got really brazen, used to come out when we were there and sit with us watching tv. We caught him eventually in a humane trap. I set him free several miles away. I like to think that there are mini Pedro’s running around somewhere. Once Pedro went there were no more mice.

WatchoutDSisdriving Tue 22-May-18 07:53:55

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00133QS3G/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?psc=1&tag=mumsnetforum-21&ie=UTF8

This one has done the job for us. And we tend to have voles which are teeny tiny.

WatchoutDSisdriving Tue 22-May-18 07:56:31

Very interesting, I just noted that the link I posted has had a bit added to it by mumsnet, the mumsnet forum bit at the end confused🤔

Shampaincharly Tue 22-May-18 07:57:07

If you release them they will be back in the house before you are!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: