Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

That horrible moment when you realise what you actually look like!

(94 Posts)
PepperSteaks Mon 21-May-18 22:57:44

One of our baby groups have just posted some candid pictures of last weeks session. My God! I can’t believe I go around looking like a Wallace and Gromit character come to life. I feel a fool for thinking I look OK. Why do people share pictures when one person looks utterly awful? Why not show me a small mercy and trim me out sad

OdileDeCaray Mon 21-May-18 23:05:55

It depends if you look like Piella or Lady Tottingham!

Thespringsthething Mon 21-May-18 23:08:39

My looks have definitely faded and my face sunk a lot in the past few years, mostly I tend to go around believing I look better than I do and it's always painful when a bad photo highlights the issues. That said, we are all our worst critics. I don't care if others look less than ok, I just want to look my 'best self' in any photo, I'm guessing the photo taker picked the one she looked brill in and threw you under the photo bus!

kathrynwithak Mon 21-May-18 23:22:19

Those that judge!

Viago Mon 21-May-18 23:27:38

Oh god it's awful. I live every day deluded that I look ok and tbh I think I'd rather stay that way!

N0tLinked1n Mon 21-May-18 23:34:40

Yes i look like mr bean in photos. In my head im nigella.

PositivelyPERF Mon 21-May-18 23:38:30

You see, I don’t understand it. I look in the mirror and although I don’t bother with makeup, I look ok for my age. BUT! I take a selfie photo or video and I look like a saggy shallow skinned old woman. WTF is going on? Is the mirror magic or is the camera a judgemental prick?!

Singlenotsingle Mon 21-May-18 23:39:34

I thought I looked like Wonderwoman. Actually, in a photo my Dil posted over the weekend, I look more like Mrs Blobby!

Embarrassed89 Mon 21-May-18 23:41:47

I relate to this so much!! Also I went for a much needed eye test recently (hadn’t been in many years) and found I needed glasses, since wearing them my skin looks 20 x worse my pores and craters from acne are huge sad I miss being blissfully unaware of how I really look sad

HotNoodle Tue 22-May-18 00:03:07

Yes I experienced this horrific revelation earlier today!
I'm fatter than I realised, so short I look like someone knocked me on the chest with a mallett , more chins than I realised and the list if horrors goes on
I went out thinking I looked ok in my new summer dress. I feel ashamed for being do delusional now!

ILoveMyDressingGown Tue 22-May-18 00:06:33

When I see a shit photo of myself I tell myself:
It must be down to the poor lighting and the shadows (or lack of them) accentuating my wide nose and big chin.

It must be the camera's white balance being slightly off either giving me that deathly cold, bluish tint that makes me look as though I've just been dug up or that super warm orange tint that makes me look like an extra from Charlie's Chocolate Factory.

The lens causes distortion so if I'm too close then it makes my nose appear longer and my chin jut out really far or if I'm too far away then it flattens my face and makes it look more round, like a flying saucer.

It's not me that's aging and funny looking, it's the camera. I'm beautiful. grinstar

Melfish Tue 22-May-18 00:11:32

Oh god yes. I used to be reasonably photogenic. Now I look like a red faced hamster with a birds nest on my head. My neck is about 100 shades lighter than my face, WTF is that about?
thank god for the crop function on the phone camera.

Jozxyqk Tue 22-May-18 00:20:56

Ah, see I've known for decades that I'm not photogenic. I look absolutely shocking in every photo of me for the last 20 years, seriously. It doesn't necessarily mean it's a true reflection of real life - allegedly I'm not too bad in the flesh. On film, though... dull & often blemished skin, I look fatter, with either a maniacal rictus grin or chronic resting bitch face, & dreadful hair.

Some people look better on camera, others look worse. I console myself that logically, that must mean I'm ok-looking in RL. Probably! blushgrin

FissionChips Tue 22-May-18 00:23:46

My mother never had photos taken, only portraits, the artist was under strict instruction to shave 2 stone or so off .
It made her happy, try it grin

Redcherries Tue 22-May-18 07:25:40

I always look hideous in candid photos and at least a size 16. I’m a 10 to 12 and at nearly 40 still get a lot of unwelcome male attention and welcome from Dh . My Dh, dd and bf tell me a look totally different in photos to a ridiculous level. I think it’s something to do with my skin tone and I have a slightly weak chin.

I avoid the camera.

Firenight Tue 22-May-18 07:28:20

Blame the photographer - bad photos should be deleted, not shared across social media.

MallyDeets Tue 22-May-18 07:31:35

I look relatively ok in candid shots

However if I know the photo is being taken I look like I’ve taken a load of ecstasy and I’m in the middle of a stroke. Just awful

N0tLinked1n Tue 22-May-18 07:33:05

The photographer is usually me! So I will blame the camera!

FloweringSynchronicity Tue 22-May-18 07:36:10

We compare ourselves with celebs who have had their photos taken in carefully lit situations. Then the pics are photoshopped. If they're on the red carpet, the flash will have diffusers on.

Let's be kind to ourselves smile

N0tLinked1n Tue 22-May-18 07:38:35

And they were good looking to start with 😣
But yeh i tell myself that nobody else is going to see my picture and thing 'wow compared to a young julia roberts this is awful'

Kernowgal Tue 22-May-18 07:38:42

MallyDeets gringrin

I had some passport photos done recently and in the photos I had jowls. JOWLS. I looked like someone's aged mother (I'm 41). Awful.

Kernowgal Tue 22-May-18 07:41:21

I also don't understand why so many retailers have such terrible lighting/mirrors in their changing rooms. I won't buy the clothes if I think I look awful in them. Downlighting flatters nobody.

Cacofonix Tue 22-May-18 07:42:16

Ah yes! I also understand your pain OP. I had my passport photos renewed last year. Suddenly I had turned from a hot young thing into my actual grandmother. How the hell?

PepperSteaks Tue 22-May-18 07:43:06

I wasn’t comparing myself to celebrities. Just to the other ladies in the picture, who are all similar age to me 😳

GummyGoddess Tue 22-May-18 07:44:01

I think the worst is when someone says what a flattering photo it is of you and you look hideous! I wonder what I actually look like if that's me looking good.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: