Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Do untreated bacterial infections always lead to sepsis?

(16 Posts)
EilaLila Mon 21-May-18 22:24:24

I’ve had sepsis before and nearly died, so naturally I’m anxious when I pick up symptoms of infections but also curious. I’m prone to UTIs and if I left one untreated, would it eventually lead to sepsis or might I just end up really ill with the infection? What factors lead to sepsis vs “just” a really bad infection?

museypants Mon 21-May-18 22:30:57

No information I'm afraid but just wanted to let you know you're not alone. I've had sepsis twice now and so have terrible health anxiety about any infection or signs of infection. It is rubbish and I hope you get some reassurance.

GingerIvy Mon 21-May-18 22:33:42

I have also had sepsis twice. It makes me quite anxious about infections as well. I wouldn't take any chances with an infection. Bladder infections can get quite ugly if untreated and gets worse.

BumpowderSneezeonAndSnot Mon 21-May-18 22:36:33

Untreated urine infections can lead to nasty kidney infections. Not sure if they always lead to sepsis but kidney infections can make you extremely poorly

dottycat123 Mon 21-May-18 22:42:00

No not all bacterial infections will lead to sepsis if untreated with antibiotics, we have an immune system response which is designed to fight any infection be that viral, bacterial or fungal.

whywhywhywhywhyyy Mon 21-May-18 22:42:25

No. Sepsis is when the infection causes a systemic response, usually by crossing into the bloodstream.

There's a few things that make it more likely you'll develop sepsis - things like if you're immunosuppressed and have no proper response to an infection, if you have an organ that perforates, if you have other illnesses like diabetes, if you're either very young or very old.

The best thing to do is to keep an eye on your symptoms. If you start seeing anything systemic (eg. rigors, sleepiness, feeling like you may die) it's A&E. The vast, vast majority of UTIs cause no wider problems, they're extremely common and often managed without antibiotics.

Judashascomeintosomemoney Mon 21-May-18 22:43:31

Well no, because unless you’re immuno suppressed the body can often overcome bacterial infections on its own. That said I wouldn’t want the medical profession, if they knew I had bacterial pneumonia say, to leave me and see if I got over it myself before giving the appropriate antibiotics.

Wellthisunexpected Mon 21-May-18 22:43:56

No. Untreated infections are often managed effectively by your immune system.

HOWEVER you are more prone to sepsis once you've had it so I wouldn't risk it. And infections can make you very poorly other than sepsis.

Coyoacan Mon 21-May-18 22:44:10

Haven't any idea about UTIs and am very much not a doctor, but we have antibodies to fight bacterial infections. I have hardly taken any antibiotics in thirty odd years.

Personally I would try google some home remedies ad try them before asking for antibiotics.

The overuse of antibiotics has made sepsis a much more virulent disease.

twattymctwatterson Mon 21-May-18 22:53:05

Your body can fight off a mild uti normally with no problem. I've had a few where I've just drunk loads of water and symptoms pass in a couple of days

EilaLila Mon 21-May-18 22:58:01

I don’t have a UTI right now but I do have cellulitis and I was debating if I should really bother the doctor. I did and I’m on antibiotics and I’m just kicking myself. I am on immunosuppressive medication also but I find it hard to figure out what does abs doesn’t need medical attention.

I’m sorry to those who’ve been through the same. flowers

whywhywhywhywhyyy Mon 21-May-18 23:03:49

I'd say yes to having antibiotics for cellulitis. Additionally, get a pen and draw an outline around the affected area now - this way you can see if it's spreading or going down.

Ledehe Mon 21-May-18 23:15:38

I would think if your immunocompromised then any infection you have May need antibiotics and you should see a GP when you have one for clarification. You won't be wasting their time. Cellulitis is particularly nasty and I have no doubt that antibiotics is right for it

colleysmill Mon 21-May-18 23:20:44

If you are taking immunosuppressants then no messing around - gp pronto.

I also take them and had a terrible experience with misdiagnosed celluitis and an inappropriate antibiotic dose (dont ask) i rapidly went downhill and narrowly avoided being admitted (touch and go at one point)

TittyGolightly Mon 21-May-18 23:27:41

One of my staff was hospitalised with sepsis earlier this year - only just in time. She thought she just had a kidney infection.

EilaLila Tue 22-May-18 20:44:17

My infection is not spreading but i desperately fear sepsis and dont understand it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: