Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Are there any major health risks from having Botox?

(24 Posts)
CarriedAwaay Mon 21-May-18 21:53:39

I'm getting a bit nervous as I'm booked in to have Botox on Tuesday.

I'm worried about what the long term effects could be as I'm still quite young.

I don't want to google as I know that'll probably come back saying Botox will cause certain death 🙈

twinklefeather Mon 21-May-18 21:56:24

There are reports that it affects the nervous system but I haven’t had it done so haven’t looked into it in depth. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along soon.

OdileDeCaray Mon 21-May-18 22:03:18

I had Botox for over ten years. No physical side effects but I stoppped because my then partner who didn't know I had Botox accused me of looking smug all the time!

Sounds ridiculous I know but I could kind of see what he meant.

I stopped having it with a view to only stop for a year but then decided not to have any more.

BumpowderSneezeonAndSnot Mon 21-May-18 22:04:10

I get it on the NHS so I'm assuming used locally it's safe or it wouldn't be fit for use in a medical setting

CarriedAwaay Mon 21-May-18 22:06:49

Odile sorry, this is a really silly question but do you think you still see a benefit from the 10 years of Botox? Do you now still look young for your age? I suppose it's 10 years less of frowning 😂

I'm only 29 but have seriously bad crows feet for my age. Even my eyebrow lady was giving me skin care advice after telling me my skin "is far too thin for my age".

I quite like the idea of just doing it for day a decade to slow my aging a little while others catch up a bit, if that makes sense.

BumpowderSneezeonAndSnot Mon 21-May-18 22:08:08

Not being mean but are you very thin? Thinner faces and dry skin tend towards wrinkles faster than chubbier or hydrated faces

CarriedAwaay Mon 21-May-18 22:12:28

I'm under 9 stone, 164 cm and prone to dry skin. I've tried so hard with drinking water but it isn't helping enough to soften these. It's getting to the point where I don't want to smile because my face just looks so awful. I've put Botox off for the past 5 years but I'm so down about this. I need to do something. I don't have body dysmorphia. I like the rest of me, even my other flaws. But this one really gets me down.

OdileDeCaray Mon 21-May-18 22:15:11

CarriedAwaay

I think it may have had some lasting effect but I went through a horrible break up and had a year of stress which did make my face age but now the stress of him has gone four years later I look much better.

I do wear sunglasses all year round, I think that makes a huge difference to wrinkles around the eyes.

Mine are slightly hooded but I'm part Malaysian so it's more of how they are meant to look rather than aging!

CarriedAwaay Mon 21-May-18 22:35:19

I'll definitely try the sunglasses trick. I drink 2.5 - 3 litres of water a day but it hasn't slowed things down enough sad

BettyBooJustDoinTheDoo Mon 21-May-18 23:01:47

Anything presents a risk, you have to weigh up the benefits compared to the risks and see if they are worth it for you, however if you think about it logically millions upon millions of people have used Botox for many years, not just for cosmetic reasons but for medical reasons too and is used by the NHS so I personally after doing a huge amount of reading and after several consultations with a doctor was confident that it was a safe procedure. My main concern was that I would get a droopy eyelid or a dropped brow but I was not overly worried about any long term side effects, and I am one big worrier! The real self website is excellent for Botox queries I would have a look if I was you as pretty much every question is covered by many different doctors who all give their medical opinion on the same question posted (if that makes sense!) It is very nerve wracking getting it for the first time but so long as you have done your research and have it done by a doctor/dentist you will be fine, please do not go to a beauty therapist or similar though. I am sure you will be thrilled with the results.

CarriedAwaay Mon 21-May-18 23:09:17

Thanks so much for the very informative post. I know this sounds silly but will people be likely to notice I've had it done? I don't want to tell people you see. My family would most definitely disapprove.

OdileDeCaray Mon 21-May-18 23:14:51

I would stress that you go to a reputable person. Cheap Botox is exactly that, cheap.

When done properly you will in the course of a few days just look more refreshed, no one should be able to tell you've had it done.

With me, I think it did start to look at odds simply because of my age. I'm not a filmstar or celebrity so it wouldn't be natural to not have any wrinkles at all so I'm glad I stopped when I did.

BettyBooJustDoinTheDoo Mon 21-May-18 23:20:36

Well no one has noticed on me and I told my family I was considering having it done so no doubt they were on high alert looking for a shiny frozen forehead complete with a permanently surprised expression! But that is old school Botox a good practioner will definitely go with a less is more approach, all that has happened for me is I still have eyebrow movement but I now have no forehead wrinkles and my number 1 (I only had a 1 not an 11) has completely gone, mine lasts about 4 moths.

smurfy2015 Tue 22-May-18 02:46:53

Ive had it for medical reasons as a migraine treatment, i gave up after the 2nd round as for some unknown reason i lost my swallow on left side of throat for 8 weeks - but oh what a diet lol

Im about to learn how to self catherise and when ive been doing that for a few months, i potentially may be having bladder botox for incontinence, I need to be able to self cath first in case it paralyses bladder altogether till it wears off

fun times

I have no inclination or funds to have it for cosmetic reasons

Copperbonnet Tue 22-May-18 03:47:57

I live in the US. As per the advertising regulations here Botox adverts include a long List of potential side affects.

I really do think you should do some research before going ahead.

You are planning to have a toxin injected into your face, it seems sensible to know what you are signing up for and consider your risk/benefit ratio.

I can pretty much always tell when someone has had Botox, just as I can tell who has had a nose job or breast implants.

I would never, ever mention it of course, that would be terribly rude.

user1467232073 Tue 22-May-18 03:53:54

I have considered this. However I am too scared. I worry about the potential for muscle laxity/wastage. If you are not moving your face surely the muscles reduce? I also heard about the possible long term effects. Then I look at my wrinkles and wonder what to do.

ThisIsTheFirstStep Tue 22-May-18 04:08:04

At your age, I’d do something less drastic first eg laser. You just have to look at all the Hollywood celebrities that look awful because they’ve used too much botox/fillers, and obviously they can pay for really good doctors etc.

There are lots of potential side effects. Just because you can get it, doesn’t mean it doesn’t have any problems associated with it.

Once you’ve had it a few times, it does start to look lumpy, I think very few people escape that. And if you start young then it’s hard to stop.

thatmustbenigelwiththebrie Tue 22-May-18 05:00:34

If it's so subtle people can't tell you've had it done then what's the point? And trust me, if they can tell, you won't look better, only different.

RedDwarves Tue 22-May-18 05:23:16

I can relate to the thin skin thing. I'm very pale, naturally thin and have a long/oval face shape where all of my natural collagen seems to congregate in my cheeks and nowhere else. This means I have quite apparent smile lines, but also lines under my eyes and on my forehead. I have had these since my early 20s.

There are potential side effects from Botox as there is with any other chemical or medication. The biggest risk is nerve paralysis.

Be aware that Botox isn't a short term fix. It cannot reverse the "damage" done to your skin, so to speak. It can make it appear better, short term, in much the same way that an expensive eye cream can, or fillers can make your cheeks fuller etc. but it doesn't reverse or undo what's already there.

I think you're better off embracing the skin you're in, as cliche as it sounds. Invest in a good sunscreen (the Shiseido Sun Protection Liquid is a good one as it doesn't dry your skin out, or something like the Nivea day cream with SPF30 in it for the same reason), keep drinking lots of water, minimise how much caffeine you're drinking, minimise alcohol and give up smoking (if you smoke), and get the recommended 8 hours of sleep if possible. All of these will improve the appearance of your skin even if the fine lines remain.

Ageing is inevitable. Some people appear aged earlier than others, but it's an inescapable part of life and we all end up looking relatively similar by the time we're post-menopausal.

Happinesss Tue 22-May-18 05:57:40

I have the same results BettyBooJustDoinTheDoo

CarriedAwaay Tue 22-May-18 08:57:19

Thanks everyone. Lots to think about there.

CarriedAwaay Tue 22-May-18 13:35:51

I've had a good think about it and decided I will definitely go through with it on Tuesday. I'm going to one of the more expensive clinics and it's being done by a doctor who has been carrying out these injections for over 10 years. They seem extremely professional. I've weighed up the risks but I know how much my confidence is being affected by this so I feel as though the risks are small enough that this will be a positive step for me to take. Thanks all for the advice smile

Happinesss Tue 22-May-18 13:58:45

Good luck!

Hideandgo Tue 22-May-18 14:01:18

Long term affects are an increased dependency on looking young to feel value in yourself as time forces you to get older.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: