Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Note to the tooth fairy

(47 Posts)
Verywprried Mon 21-May-18 21:33:00

My son is just about to lose his first tooth and he has written a note to her, ready to put under the pillow. He has asked for her name and what she does with the teeth. I have no idea whether to reply and how to answer! Anyone else had notes to the tooth fairy and if so, what were the answers? I'm clueless.

Monomynous Mon 21-May-18 21:35:16

I write notes in tiny handwriting that say things like "thanks for your lovely shiny tooth, I'm going to use it to fix a hole in my roof" etc. I cut them to about 1inch square and he seems satisfied.

Verywprried Mon 21-May-18 21:42:04

Thank you, I'll try to find a pen thin enough to write a tiny note although no idea what her name is.

fruitpastille Mon 21-May-18 21:48:44

I use a silver gel pen and add swirly bits to my handwriting. You could say that the name is kept secret it make something up... Mintibelle, Toothania, Glitterwing etc etc... I only write them if they write to me about a lost tooth. Beware, they have many teeth to lose plus potential younger siblings to write to so be careful what you start!!

fruitpastille Mon 21-May-18 21:51:57

Wow, there are a lot of ideas if you Google tooth fairy letter!! In my day we were happy to get 20p grin

Verywprried Mon 21-May-18 21:54:16

That's just what I was thinking, I don't want to set myself up for years of exciting tooth fairy tales but I'll feel bad if I just ignore it. I think I'll just keep it short and sweet. Thanks

Starlight2345 Mon 21-May-18 22:00:43

My son’s tooth fairy once only left 50p as tooth wasn’t clean enough ( we were having teeth cleaning issues ) smile

hidengosqueak Mon 21-May-18 22:11:20

The tooth fairy used to leave notes only for good reasons in our house. Her name was Wilma and it was generally : dear minihiden
Sorry for the delay in tooth collection
-the fairy expressway was closed for maintenance
-the economic downturn means your only getting 5p on the enamel and 50 p on condition of your tooth
- my wings ran out of fairy dust
- I am too busy to play ' search the tooth ' either leave it in the bag or no cash !
- I'm not a fool I know you stole your sisters tooth !
Etc

BrownTurkey Mon 21-May-18 22:11:22

Oh and a tip I was given was to make sure you tell them the tooth fairy ‘shift’ is between bedtime and 9am, ‘just in case’ they wake up and she hasn’t been yet...it starts off with glittery notes and ends with ‘here’s a quid, no I don’t want your tooth’. Ah, growing up.

Brickswithstones Mon 21-May-18 22:12:16

What's wrong with leaving 50p for the tooth fairy? 50p is plenty imo.

Starlight2345 Mon 21-May-18 22:17:28

He usually got £1

fanominon Mon 21-May-18 22:20:25

Little notes left here too :-) I used a super sharpened pencil and wrote using a magnifying glass so it was neat and teeny. I always encouraged my kids to write notes to the fairy, so there was something to respond to.

Monomynous Mon 21-May-18 22:38:54

Oo I didn't think of giving them names. Ours are signed Love from TF!

SpinningBob Mon 21-May-18 22:39:55

Just a £1 coin here, exchanged in a wee small gift bag under the pillow(the kind you get little costume bracelets etc in). On the flip side- I spoke to a mum at a party recently, who said that round her way some of the kids were getting £50 PER TOOTH!! There was a thud as my jaw hit the groundshock

SneakyGremlins Mon 21-May-18 22:41:27

FIFTY QUID?

Toofle Tue 22-May-18 07:16:57

The final note received by the tooth fairy from my youngest child read "All major credit cards accepted".

Skittlesandbeer Tue 22-May-18 07:27:42

I’d go with the idea that there are many tooth fairies, you never know which one you’ll get (or what their name is). Helps later on when they notice discrepancies.

I echo pps that you’re well advised to think CAREFULLY about precedents you are setting. What if a tooth falls out and the kid isn’t staying with you? No note, no special rituals?

My biggest tip is: try and talk them into putting the teeth in a special little box, NOT under the pillow. Ours is by the kitchen window, so it’s easier for the fairy to access. That’d be downstairs, FAR away from Ms Gappy. Oh so much easier to deal with. Of course, she went shopping with Granny to find a ‘special tooth box’ and returned with one covered in teeny bells, filled with glitter. angry

We actually got a class email from the teacher last year, cos some bright spark gave their kid $50 for a tooth. You can’t mess with Tooth Futures and indexes like that. The furore lasted weeks. Difficult questions were asked.

Speaking of the tooth fairy, where do you hide your tooth stash, and what the Sam Hell do you do with them afterwards? Or do they get flushed that night maybe?

AviatorShades Tue 22-May-18 08:18:34

all major credit cards accepted - thanks, OP, I've had my first (perhaps only) belly laugh of the day grin

NommyChompers Wed 23-May-18 16:27:14

My letters give a different price on how good the condition of the tooth is - if there’s decay it’s half price as less good for building fairy castles with. It’s a motivation to brush :D (clue in my username that I do this a lot)

CD890 Wed 23-May-18 17:04:35

I'm not at this stage yet (thank god) some good tips here though, I remember my mum telling me about the first time I lost my tooth, she said my dad told me he'd rang the tooth fairy to let her know and TF said because its my first one I get £1 the rest with be 50p each!
Apparently then my brother ruined it by telling me she wasn't real... And DDad gave me a fiver in secret for being upset.
I think this might be the reason I don't want my DS to believe in any of that kind of stuff tooth fairy, easter bunny, santa. I don't want to deal with the disappointment!

Bestoftimesworstoftimes Wed 23-May-18 18:09:31

If you are in london the wellcome trust has an interesting teeth exhibition on now with some adorable sample letters - and replies (yes even one on letter headed paper 'from the desk of the tooth fairy'). Won't help for tonight though, sorry!

MumofBoysx2 Wed 23-May-18 21:02:16

Don't forget the glitter fairydust

MumofBoysx2 Wed 23-May-18 21:04:06

We usually also do a little letter in glitter gel pen, swirly handwriting, with £2. Usually say something about their toothbrushing, make a reference to how the tooth was lost etc. You can get little fairy doors which we attached to their skirting boards.

MumofBoysx2 Wed 23-May-18 21:06:49

skittlesandbeer we bought silver boxes engraved with their initials (safely tucked away!) for the teeth. Couldn't flush them - we looked at them so often as babies! Definitely draw the line at making bracelets out of them though!!! confused

GrainneWail Wed 23-May-18 22:04:49

I'm glad to see this thread as I've been wondering about keeping the teeth. I feel weird and creepy keeping them, but it hits me in my gut to throw out a piece of my child blush

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: