Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Just found out my 2 front teeth are broken!!! Horrors. Implants?

(38 Posts)
PrivatePike Mon 21-May-18 17:14:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PrivatePike Mon 21-May-18 17:15:01

Knittedfairies Mon 21-May-18 17:55:43

Ouch! You poor thing; are you on the dentist’s NHS list?

PuzzleGood Mon 21-May-18 18:00:20

Eeek. flowers My DP has an implant. It was privately done a few years ago now and looks so realistic you would NEVER KNOW.

PrivatePike Mon 21-May-18 18:02:31

PrivatePike Mon 21-May-18 18:02:52

BigFuckingManatee Mon 21-May-18 18:08:58

That sounds like my worst fear (not literally, but I have nightmares about losing my teeth!) I feel for you flowers

MrsEricBana Mon 21-May-18 18:09:26

Oh poor you. I have an implant and it's totally fantastic. Same as a tooth. As I recall there was healing time after the tooth (back) was removed, the implant was put in the bone then I think 3 months before the final tooth was added on top. If it is near the front they give you some sort of temporary while the implant settles. Downsides - expensive and not instant. Upside - once it's done you will be good as new and no one will know. Good luck!

MikeUniformMike Mon 21-May-18 18:12:22

Poor you. Crowns might be an option if they can save the roots. Implants otherwise. You may need a partial denture between having the implants and having the new 'teeth' fitted.

PhilODox Mon 21-May-18 18:14:06

Oh gosh, you poor thing! I hope it isn't too painful. My DH has an implant, and it's been absolutely fine- the quality is really good, no-one would know it was false. He had his teeth whitened a few years ago, but times it with a replacement for his implant (it had been in since he was 17, sporting accident).
I hope it's just a one off thanks

Etymology23 Mon 21-May-18 18:16:16

Implants are expensive but I think otherwise you’ll be stuck with dentures if they can’t save the root :/

GardenGeek Mon 21-May-18 18:18:46

PrivatePike Mon 21-May-18 19:11:16

PrivatePike Mon 21-May-18 19:11:29

PrivatePike Mon 21-May-18 19:11:56

sonjadog Mon 21-May-18 19:13:52

Poor you! I lost a tooth at the front and they were able to put in a temporary tooth while they make the new one, so you might not have to be toothless for very long at all.

MikeUniformMike Mon 21-May-18 19:14:21

You might. You can shop around for implant prices but a good rapport between you and the dentist and good aftercare will help.

sonjadog Mon 21-May-18 19:14:56

Oh and yes, it is horribly expensive.

RobinHumphries Mon 21-May-18 19:24:32

You are very very unlikely to get implants on the NHS. It is a bit of a postcode lottery and different area will have different criteria but on the whole it’s not possible to get implants on the nhs

PrivatePike Mon 21-May-18 20:07:43

GardenGeek Mon 21-May-18 20:16:59

PrivatePike Mon 21-May-18 20:34:26

RobinHumphries Mon 21-May-18 20:39:23

GardenGeek I’m just telling it how it is and not trying to give the OP false hope. I’ve worked in the North, the Midlands and South West and only ever had patients receive implants on the NHS due to multiple teeth not developing or due to oral cancer causing removal of parts of the jaw. The days of the NHS funding implants due to personal injury are long gone.

Whitneyblue Mon 21-May-18 20:48:49

Sorry to jump on this thread but I'm interested in implants and whether they would be available on the NHS. DS is nearly 18 and has 5 teeth missing that weren't there from birth. He's currently got silver crowns over 4 of his baby teeth to preserve the spaces and his braces come off soon. The plan is to remove these baby teeth then place bridges in the gaps. Should I be pushing for implants instead?
DD has the same but 2 teeth missing, again she's having braces to open up the gaps between her teeth with the intention to place bridges in the spaces.
I'd rather they both have implants if possible though! DS is under our capital cities dental hospital, DD under a normal orthodontist if that matters.

RobinHumphries Mon 21-May-18 20:57:47

Whitneyblue I would say your son may be a case that may get approval, your daughter however would not

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: