Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Reusable pads fail, what am I doing wrong?!

(33 Posts)
fattygettingthin Mon 21-May-18 16:34:16

So this Is my first full cycle using reusable bamboo pads, they are definitely more comfortable, but I've just had a massive issue!

Changed the pad at about 2pm just before I went out and I've just had to go to boots to get a pack of always night time pads as I've soaked the reusable one to my jeans, just about to go and buy some more jeans because I can't go on my anniversary date with blood soaked jeans! It's like it hasn't held anything! I've had to use 2 huge pads to feel like I've got some decent protection.

Is it my ridiculously heavy period? Or the pad? I'd like to use reusable ones to stop the plastic in the environment but not if this is going to happen!!

BertieBotts Mon 21-May-18 16:36:12

Did you put a booster in it? Are your periods normally heavy? How long would it usually take you to go through a disposable pad?

Annoying to spend out more money, but possibly consider using a menstrual cup instead - they hold lots more blood and are still reusable.

YerAuntFanny Mon 21-May-18 16:36:25

Which pads are you using?

fattygettingthin Mon 21-May-18 17:18:32

They're these ones and they're crap. I didn't know I needed a booster :/ oops!

Lostmyemailaddress Mon 21-May-18 17:20:54

Did you wash them before using and if so what did you use?
They work in the same way as reusable nappies the more you wash the more absorbent they are..

Branleuse Mon 21-May-18 17:24:17

oh ive got those. Theyre my least favourite. I think you might be better having something with a cotton top layer as it will absorb quicker than fleece, although fleece has a more dry feel once its soaked in, but in my experience, fleece layer works well for cloth nappies but not always as well for cloth pads as blood doesnt absorb as quick as wee

fattygettingthin Mon 21-May-18 17:24:57

Yeah I put them in the wash, no fabric conditioner and a high temperature. I will persevere! I think it might just be me tbh as I've had to change again as I've soaked the night pads I put on earlier. The cramps are really bad today. When we move I'll ask the GP to refer for gynaecology I think. I don't have a gp currently

BertieBotts Mon 21-May-18 18:02:04

Aah it might be the brand which is the problem - I've noticed Amazon seems to be flooded (if you'll pardon the pun!) now with Chinese manufacturers selling shoddy products. You'd think the "Amazon's Choice" banner would be a protection against these things and it did used to be but now it seems they slap that banner on any old random item which will make them the most profit. I can't see who the seller is on that item but you can normally check if you follow through to "Sold by XXX" - they'll have either a Chinese address or a Chinese name with a European address.

Take extra care when ordering from a company based outside of the EU because they often totally ignore any laws about misleading info in ads meaning they might say it meets certain safety standards it does not. Not really an issue for pads - there are no standards which apply to these anyway - but if you did get a cup it's relevant. Sometimes these companies just seem to make totally crap products.

You don't always need boosters, but some brands are designed to be used with inserts, you add as many as you need, whereas some are standalone.

BertieBotts Mon 21-May-18 18:02:44

Oh and having hundreds of keywords in the title is a dead giveaway! The good quality products tend not to have this.

Aph413 Mon 21-May-18 18:10:33

They don't look the best quality and as others have said are probably to be used with a booster. Personally I ordered all of mine from sellers on etsy. 1 or 2 from a seller to try them and find my favourite style shape etc. I recommend doing that if you can

YerAuntFanny Mon 21-May-18 18:13:01

Ah yes the Chinese cheapies, I don't get on with anything fleece topped or pull backed. Too much movement and not quick enough to absorb plus the rectangle shape doesn't fit me well.

I have a huge stash and my go to pads are the wahm ones, cost around £6.50 for a pad in my chosen fabrics, shape, absorbance and length.

My favourites are by pretty period as they are wider at the front and back to catch any excess. I've recommended then a few times on here but I'm not affiliated in any way other than a satisfied customer!

DumptonPark Mon 21-May-18 18:17:27

Oh bollocks I've just got some Chinese cheapies from Wish after I saw them mentioned on another thread. I use a mooncup too so hopefully they'll be good enough hmm

Osopolar Mon 21-May-18 18:20:14

I would go for Minivivi if I were you. Super absorbent and really comfy. More expensive but as with most things you get what you pay for. Ignore the fact that they say contipads, I use them for periods and they are fab smile

www.babipur.co.uk/reusable-menstrual-cups-pads/mini-vivi-conti-pads-prints.html

ToadOfSadness Mon 21-May-18 18:44:43

Angel Padz are worth a look
www.angelpadz.co.uk

Branleuse Mon 21-May-18 18:48:59

i think theyre fine as a stash builder.

My most absorbant ones are from honour my flow, who I believe do a mumsnet discount?

I also really love my hiccups and juice ones. They look really easy to make too

fattygettingthin Mon 21-May-18 21:40:40

I've put on 2 more night time towels and they're already soaked. My thighs and stomach are hurting so much 😢does this need a gp appointment?

smilingelizabeth Tue 22-May-18 15:05:13

It depends on what's normal for you. You can get tranexamic acid from the doctors or from over the counter in Boots. Makes my periods bearable and much lighter. If you can't find any then ibuprofen helps a bit.

InMemoryOfSleep Tue 22-May-18 15:09:52

Sounds miserable OP, is this normal for you? It might be worth popping to your GP in the morning if not. Regarding the pads, I find cotton much more absorbent and comfy than bamboo; faves are Cheeky Wipes and TotsBots’ Bloom & Nora. They’re not cheap, but I find them super absorbent and they’ve lasted me really well.

Branleuse Tue 22-May-18 15:54:03

i think bleeding that heavily might be worth a trip to the doctor to look into it x

MrsPear Tue 22-May-18 16:01:13

I think you need better pads. I use ones by earth wise girls. If I use a disposable pad then Naturacare is a good non plastic non smelly one.

But I would see a gp as you do seem very heavy

fattygettingthin Tue 22-May-18 16:02:36

I had a ruptured Fallopian tube. Had surgery this morning.

fattygettingthin Tue 22-May-18 16:03:05

As in 1am this morning.

InMemoryOfSleep Tue 22-May-18 16:06:01

Oh no OP! Did you end up going to A&E? Glad you are sorted, I hope you’re not in too much pain flowers

fattygettingthin Tue 22-May-18 16:09:10

Yeah I started another thread for advice as thought it was a bit much to ring 999 and so I rang 111 and they sent an ambulance. Bit of a mental night!

MyGuideJools Tue 22-May-18 16:09:32

bloody hell fattygettingthin What a shock! no wonder you were in such pain.
I wish you a speedy recovery flowers

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: