Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

DD (5) has been prescribed Movicol. How bad is this going to get?!

(181 Posts)
Collectorofcookbooks Mon 21-May-18 13:44:23

Been to the docs today and begged for help. DT1 (5) has been soiling her pants and refusing to poo. This has been going on for six months, they diagnosed encopresis - they have previously prescribed lactulose but now enough is enough - she's refusing to eat and her tummy is rock hard.

She has faecal impaction, the poor love.

He's prescribed Movicol and has given me a schedule of when it's to be taken. He says that we should wait until next week to start this schedule as it could get very messy whilst she is cleared out...so she shouldn't be at school but there are 2 issues with this!

One is that she's clearly suffering now and i think it needs to be sorted sooner rather than later.

The other is that we're off on holiday next week, our only holiday this year, with child-free friends - is that really the right time to do it?

Should I keep her off school for the rest of the week and do it now? She's off today and tomorrow anyway as she threw up yesterday. School have been nothing but supportive, and I work for myself so can take the hit and work evenings if needs be.

Just how bad can it be? Surely we'd be better doing this at home?

alwaysthepessimist Mon 21-May-18 13:48:00

Get it done now, if she is suffering she needs it sorted sooner rather than later. I have a 5yo DD and she has been constipated (not this bad though) a couple of times and that was bad enough. Hope your DD is feeling better soon and you get to enjoy your holiday flowers

NeepNeepNeep Mon 21-May-18 13:48:02

It's a no brainer. Keep her off school and do it now. She has a legitimate and urgent need to be off school. They will understand. You will need to stay near a toilet!

macnab Mon 21-May-18 13:50:27

God yes, I'd start it immediately. I wouldn't leave my child in so much discomfort for that long. She's only little, she'll not miss that much school - and probably can't concentrate properly when she's so constipated anyway.

We used movicol for our DS for about 6 years! (as directed by GP, it's not something they can become dependent on) It does work, but at the start you have to get loads of it into them which can be difficult. We relaxed our 'not too much squash' rule as it was the only way to get the required amount into him. We gave it in small drinks otherwise it took too long and he didn't finish it etc.

Good luck, post again if you've any more questions I feel like I'm an eminent professor in children's bowel movements grin

MismatchedPJs Mon 21-May-18 13:51:40

If she's throwing up she can't wait a week, bless her. She might throw up later in the week if you don't do it soon anyway, and you'll end up losing most of the week anyway. Hope she is more comfortable soon.

MismatchedPJs Mon 21-May-18 13:52:49

And YY to squash! We let DC have it quite concentrated with movicol too.

macnab Mon 21-May-18 13:53:24

Also, yes home is the only place to be for this process I think. And it could get quite messy as she might have leakage that she won't be aware of (constipation like that can stretch the colon so they don't feel anything coming out) So have plenty of clean pants on hand and maybe some bepanthen or similar, I remember my DS ended up with a really sore bottom from all the pooing/cleaning routine.

Imaginationiseverything Mon 21-May-18 13:55:18

Hi

My DD had this when she was 8 .Im no Dr but I think it's terrible advice for them to say wait a week it actually took four days for the movicol too work and at that point she had stopped eating and was also struggling too wee so please start asap.

It wasn't as bad as we expected when she did go no tummy pain just frequent watery stools after she had passed what can only be described as a tennis ball type poo! (Sorry for tmi)We put her in pull ups just too be on the safe side as we were on holiday .

I hope your dd is feeling better soon movicol is great stuff very gentle but effective .

Spidergirl999 Mon 21-May-18 13:56:52

Ahh bless her. My eldest DD has movical for a good few years until graduallly growing out of her toilet problems around age 7. Lots of time sat with her holding hands on the loo !

Now my youngest is also on it but he’s in nappies. Keeps him regular but is very messy and seems to always leak everywhere. Easier on the toilet! Good luck x

Imaginationiseverything Mon 21-May-18 13:59:26

Also forgot too add not sure if your dr mentioned but after she is ok make sure too keep her on a maintenance dose for a few months after as it's very likely to happen again .We kept her on 1 sachet a day for about a year .We also got the chocolate adult version online and just give half a sachet which is equivalent to 1 child's dose as she hated the taste of the children's version .

Graphista Mon 21-May-18 14:01:14

The vomiting is likely because the body has to excavate somehow! So if you delayed, she'd probably be sick again anyway and have to be kept home anyway!

Plus she is suffering, in pain and probably feeling rotten.

Encopresis is just a fancy way of saying her bums leaking cos she's constipated and they don't know why.

Is she small enough that pull up pants would fit? That might make her feel less worried about making a mess - you could even show her adult incontinence pants to tell her that sometimes adults have the same nightmare! And reassure her nobody outside your home needs to know. It would also mean less stress and clean up for you.

Yes to some kind of bum lotion too as even just lots of wiping can make it sore.

Poor little thing hope it works and she's feeling better soon.

IHopeYouStepOnALegoPiece Mon 21-May-18 14:02:17

I would absolutely do it now but what is your school run length?I nannied a little boy who needed movicol in v similar circumstances (we kept him off for 5 school days) and although day 1&2 were manageable, 3&4 would’ve been incredibly difficult if we had a school run that was any longer then 5 minutes as he had no idea when he was going to soil himself. School were fab and he stayed in the office whilst I rounded up the other 2 so if he did have an accident, he didn’t have to do it in front of his school friends but if that isn’t an option it’s something worth thinking about if anyone can help pick up/Drop off other DC

Blueuxbridge Mon 21-May-18 14:04:24

We’ve been through this and I would start it now. Try 4 sachets mixed in half water and half juice daily. We struggled on with lactulose and sodium picosulphate for months but the movicol was brilliant at regulating the bowels and worked within 2 weeks. I also had to put my DS on the loo with the iPad after breakfast, lunch and tea regardless of how he felt about it and the routine worked well. Good luck OP. It is a horrible thing to get on top of. But also fairly common too.

macnab Mon 21-May-18 14:43:57

The sachets we used were "plain" so no flavour. We found this best, there actually is a taste of it so not completely plain but when mixed with cordial there's no funny taste at all.

Sharkwithknees Mon 21-May-18 14:46:26

I'd do it now! My DD suffered for months until she was put on a high dose of movicol, think it was up to 8 sachets a day for a few days! But the relief was immediate once to dose was upped.

HLBug Mon 21-May-18 14:52:22

Start now. It took 10 days for full "disimpaction" for my son - 10 days of poo.

gryffen Mon 21-May-18 14:55:22

Hiya

Yeah start now and keep her off school as the max dose for Impaction is 8 packets to be drunk within a time frame and it will need to be repeated for a few days.

I've had a fissure due to gallbladder removal and painkillers and the pain was excruitating when going to loo so keep some ibuprofen in case it happens when straining.

Keep her feet raised too when on loo and lean forward, helps position the colon for maximum evacuation.

I've used laxido (same kind as Movicol) and it does work, warm bottle to belly and just be patient.

If in ANY doubt then call GP.

Good luck.

Justgivemesomepeace Mon 21-May-18 15:00:03

Start now. My ds has suffered from compaction and it's awful. I found the only thing he would take it in is oranage squash, small drinks and count to 20, see who wins. It has a weird salty taste. It took at least a day to get him moving properly. He was on it for about 18 months.

Collectorofcookbooks Mon 21-May-18 15:03:38

Thanks all, really appreciate your replies.

I just had to go to school to pick up DT2 who has thrown up - honestly, this week is turning into a car crash - and saw the head, so spoke to her about doing it this week and keeping DT1 off. She's fine with it and agrees it needs to be sorted. They are lovely!

Our small village pharmacy had to order in the Movicol, so just waiting for them to call and say they've got it.

I've also sorted for a friend to do school run Thursday / Friday for DT2 if she's well enough to go.

Do you think DT1 will be ok to fly on Sunday? We're only going within Europe. I guess if we're prepared (she doesn't mind going back into nappies, she's so distressed by pooing her pants) then it won't be too bad... if we manage to get some into her tomorrow, then day 3 is Thursday...hopefully there will be an improvement by the weekend?

Yes, they are putting her on a maintenance dose afterwards for 3 months. Thanks for the tips about making her go to the loo - it might be time to deploy Mummy's kindle...

Collectorofcookbooks Mon 21-May-18 15:05:31

PS the schedule they have given us is:

Day 1 - 2 sachets
Day 2 - 4
Day 3 - 4
Day 4 - 6
Day 5 - 6
Day 6 - 8
Day 7 - 8

Does that sounds about right?? Or should I go straight onto 4 sachets?

ISeeTheLight Mon 21-May-18 15:06:36

Can't help with the flying I'm afraid, but DD takes movicol for chronic constipation (linked to cow's milk protein allergy). It's got a bit of an orange taste - we give it in a bit of Fanta (judge away) which is the only way she drinks it. Thought I'd share in case your DD doesn't like the taste.

NeepNeepNeep Mon 21-May-18 15:18:05

Can you travel to a bigger pharmacy to get started this afternoon?

Have you seen this?

www.eric.org.uk/pdf-a-parents-guide-to-disimpaction

NeepNeepNeep Mon 21-May-18 15:20:32

You can also put Movicol in jelly (e.g. sugar free sachets) which also helps get in the extra fluid they need for it to work.

macnab Mon 21-May-18 15:25:45

I'd definitely start on the 4 sachets. Thing is, you need to keep going with it even if you think 'enough' has come out. Then reduce back and keep her on 2 sachets a day until she can be re-assessed.

macnab Mon 21-May-18 15:27:37

In fact, follow the info on that link that Neep posted, increase the dosage each day rather than keeping her on the same one for two days running.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: