Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

I'm still shaking and crying 30 minutes later

(141 Posts)
uokhunn Mon 21-May-18 10:20:35

Please tell me I'm not the only one that's done something like this. I left my son on the couch right at the back and sort of half laid him down so as he wouldn't fall forward. He's just cut his first tooth so he loves chewing this sippy cup lid with handles. I was in the kitchen for all of 10 seconds and I heard a weird sound when I looked out my son had somehow managed to fall forwards and the lid handle was down his throat. He was bright red and looked as though he wanted to cry but couldn't breathe. I absolutely panicked and don't even remember what happened in the period between being in the kitchen and running over to him. I genuinely thought he was going to die for a few seconds. I can't stop shaking and every time I think about it I burst into tears. I've never felt like this is my life. He's fine now but I still feel scared something's going to happen

uokhunn Mon 21-May-18 10:24:52

Also should I still take him to the doctors despite him seeming fine, I'm worried he might have hurt his throat?

wtf2018 Mon 21-May-18 10:25:11

Take him and get him checked over for your resssurance more than anything else but it will put your mind at rest checking no damage done

We've all done stuff - mine fell off the changing mat. The guilt is horrendous but I think it happens at least once to every parent

They won't be thinking your a crap parent for it. They will understand your concern thanks

ZibbidooZibbidooZibbidoo Mon 21-May-18 10:25:25

Is he ok now OP?

What sort of cup handle is it? Sounds very unsafe if the handles could fit down his throat. Please don’t leave your baby unsupervised with things in their mouth.

Slartybartfast Mon 21-May-18 10:27:25

Agree with zibbidoo.
dont leave him unattended, sorry to be stern - but there it is

Unihorn Mon 21-May-18 10:27:25

Mine rolled off my high divan bed at 3 or 4 months old and landed with a horrific bump, I can still hear it now. She hadn't been able to roll until then. I felt awful but we've all done things, don't beat yourself up.

uokhunn Mon 21-May-18 10:28:18

He seems fine now. It's a nuby sippy cup with the curved handles. You have no idea how much better that makes me feel @wtf I thought I was the only one

user1498549192 Mon 21-May-18 10:31:36

Bless you; it's awful when something like that happens. I leaned over to grab something while holding my 5 month old and he lurched forward, somersaulted out of my arms and bounced on the floor! He was absolutely fine apart from the shock but I felt guilty for weeks. We've all done something similar; don't be too hard on yourself.

Roomba Mon 21-May-18 10:33:05

Breathe! If he seems okay now that's a very good sign. Maybe get him checked if his throat looks sore at all.

We've all had OMG moments with our children. I once left the room to grab the phone for ten seconds and returned to find my son blue and choking on an apple piece. Bloody terrifying though the shaking and crying only happened afterwards when I'd got him safe. They do like to keep us in our toes and that feeling that you've failed them is horrible (do let me know when that feeling passes ever!)

wtf2018 Mon 21-May-18 10:33:40

Still go just to be certain...

I remember explaining I turned around and my baby fell off the mat and it was horrible but boy did I feel reassured once they'd checked him over

And they were very kind to me that it happens ALL the time, but obviously never turn my back again now I know...

Aprilmightbemynewname Mon 21-May-18 10:34:52

Well now you know he can move op it won't happen again..

WorraLiberty Mon 21-May-18 10:35:03

Must've been scary

But if he seems fine then I doubt he's hurt his throat.

Besides, what can the doctor do (even if you can get an appointment) except look down it, which you can do yourself?

ZibbidooZibbidooZibbidoo Mon 21-May-18 10:36:24

We have all done something like this OP! You’re definitely not alone. I once put DS in his high chair and forgot the straps. I turned to grab his dinner off the counter and he had wriggled his way down so he was dangling through the foot gap!

ZibbidooZibbidooZibbidoo Mon 21-May-18 10:37:31

I heard a Mum in the park last week saying she had forgotten to do her baby’s car seat straps and the baby almost fell out when she lifted her off the pram base.

VauxhallVectra Mon 21-May-18 10:38:59

When my DD was about 5 months old, I nipped into the supermarket to pick up a few bits. Because I didn't need much and it was all light stuff, I just carried it while pushing the buggy.

Then DD started to whinge so, without putting my few items down, I tried to pick DD up.

Big mistake.

In the middle of the supermarket, I dropped her straight onto her head and then my bits of shopping cascaded down on top of her one at a time in perfect formation. DD didn't make a sound- just looked at me like "Why the fuck did you do that you twat?"

Very quickly a gaggle of women clustered around me, basically telling me I was the devil incarnate and an unfit mother. That set DD off crying and I scarpered home. I didn't go back outside for a week.

GinandGingerBeer Mon 21-May-18 10:39:10

Honestly we’ve all cocked up at some point. It’s a horrible feeling when your baby falls off the bed! I remember it well. He’s 18 now and that’s the least of my worries 😂
Take a breath, you’ve dealt with it, he’s fine. Don’t dwell it’s done with now, give him a big cuddle and do not beat yourself up ok?

rememberthetime Mon 21-May-18 10:40:51

My son fell off the bed and split his eyebrow open - needed stitches. daughter fell down the stairs (the day after we decided to remove the stairgate as she seems fine with it).

As a new parent I honestly thought that there was no way I would get through 18 years without doing something so monumentally stupid that I would lose them or damage them beyond repair. Babies seem so fragile.

They are now 16 and 18 and despite being a clumsy and inattentive type of parent, my kids are unharmed and survived...

birdonawire1 Mon 21-May-18 10:43:24

Don’t worry, it happens to everyone.
Just check the back of his throat for any swelling and redness. If it’s ok and he’s able to drink some plain water just have a coffee and forget it. Kids are tough

ginswinger Mon 21-May-18 10:43:51

It's horrible when it happens but you're not alone. My DD roll off a bed head first on to a tiled floor at 12 months. At 21 months she escaped my cultches and a police chase ensued. I won't deny she's a bit quirky but essentially all fine.

Relax, have a cup of tea and don't beat yourself up.

rememberthetime Mon 21-May-18 10:45:43

Oh I forgot the time I failed to check the pushchair straps and he nearly tumbled out as I exited the bus.

Or the time my daughter stood up in the pushchair when my back was turned and pushed it over. She had wriggled out of the straps...

Or the time I piled enough shopping on top of the pushchair canopy to make it collapse onto one of them (I can even remember which now...) Luckily most of the shopping fell off before the full force reached them.

You can honestly laugh about stuff a few years down the line - but at the time it does seem terribly frightening and you feel like an idiot.

SossidgeRoll Mon 21-May-18 10:46:23

Yep. We've all been there! DD3 choked on a sticker (one of those sort of puffy metallic ones) that her older sister had left and I hadn't cleared. She didn't make a sound, I though she looked weird, whacked her back and it came shooting out. I was beside myself. Felt awful. I did actually go to the doc because it was sharp - and to be honest I needed some reassurance sad DD2 rolled off the bed at 5 months. I didn't know she could roll and turned to get the cream. Awful.
If it makes you feel better a friends 9month old choked on a fag butt he picked up at the park. He was fine! Bit smelly tho.

ohfourfoxache Mon 21-May-18 10:47:22

Please don’t beat yourself up thanks

Ds2 fell off the sofa yesterday; he lunged forward and managed to fall face down on the floor.

Ds1 at a similar age kicked against my stomach whilst I climbed the stairs. I had just got to the top and he pushed away so hard that he landed flat on his face (see a theme here?) in his bedroom doorway.

Things happen, and they happen to us all x

intuition Mon 21-May-18 10:47:29

We all do it. And sometimes you need to run off for 2 secs. Mine fell off beds and one became particularly adept at chucking himself out the cot!!
Don't panic, ignore the snotty perfect mothers, have a cup of tea and give him a cuddle.
Sounds like no harm done. If he can cry his throat will be fine!!

Echobelly Mon 21-May-18 10:47:47

Oh, I'm sorry that's a shock for you, it will pass! DH was out with DS (6) the other day, and DS dropped a toy in the road and almost ran under a bus to get it back, so DH was a bit shaken the rest of the day, too. These things do happen, I agree take him to the docs to reassure yourself.

BlueJava Mon 21-May-18 10:49:43

Don't be so tough on yourself, we've all been there. I dropped my DS down the stairs (he was in my arms and I slipped) at 4 months old! We took him to be checked and he was fine. He's now strapping16 yo.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: