Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Tattoo question please!

(27 Posts)
LoudestRoar Mon 21-May-18 09:50:02

Booked in at the weekend to get my first ever tattoo. It's going to be on my foot, and I've bought some numbing cream. It won't affect the tattoo quality all, would it? Thanks!

Goingalonenow Mon 21-May-18 09:56:33

Is it emla? It won't have any effect on the quality, no. Give it 15 minutes to work but to be honest you'll go numb after the outline anyway!

LoudestRoar Mon 21-May-18 10:26:16

It is Emla smile phew, didn't want to ruin it before they even started...

TheDrinksAreOnMe Mon 21-May-18 10:32:38

I would say ask the tattooist beforehand. Some hate it!!
I am a fan of Dr Numb though, I was fine without for 10 tatts until my backpiece holyshit

LoudestRoar Mon 21-May-18 10:37:20

I'll put it on as soon as I arrive and ask them before I do. Getting excited now!

TheDrinksAreOnMe Mon 21-May-18 10:39:56

Is it not worth contacting them before the day?

Thisimmortalcurl Mon 21-May-18 10:41:41

I would Phone and ask them and put it on at least an hour before your appointment and wrap with clingfilm to get the best numbness effect . I used it with some off mine and it really helped initially for shortish sessions ( less than 2 hours )

amysaurus87 Mon 21-May-18 10:42:50

I'd definetly ask your tattoist first as a lot of them don't like it. My first tattoo was my lower leg/ankle area and I asked about numbing cream, was told it wears off after a while so not worth it.

I've never used it but I would have for the ones I have on the inside of my ankles, that pain was intense!

SilverHairedCat Mon 21-May-18 10:43:20

Phone now and ask. I do know tattooists who refuse to work on anyone who has used numbing creams and won't refund deposits if you show up with it.

By way of example, I watched my tattooist friend (licensed shop, not a scratcher!) working on a chap who is diabetic. They stopped every 15 mins so the client could check his bloods. The client said he found the pain really bad so they stopped for the day. Tattooist friend is clear on not putting people beyond what their body can handle and will not permit numbing creams so he can keep an eye on them ie going into shock.

amusedbush Mon 21-May-18 11:26:05

My tattooist hates emla and says it does affect the quality. Certainly the areas of my (large) chest tattoo where I used it are a bit patchy compared with areas that I didn't. No issues with aftercare which would have caused the difference in quality either.

I will also say that it wears off after than than an hour and the pain was excruciating, perhaps because there had been no build up to get my adrenaline going? It just wore off and BAM, awful pain.

I've never used it since.

MistAmougstElephants Mon 21-May-18 11:32:01

I wouldn't bother, have some sugary sweets with you to munch on and a sweet drink. Take an ibuprofen half an hr before you go.

LoudestRoar Mon 21-May-18 14:33:51

Thanks all. I'll ask them. I've been asking them quite a few question, and didn't want to keep bugging them :-), hence asking here first. It's a small design, so if not, I'll just from and bare it...

TheDrinksAreOnMe Mon 21-May-18 23:51:18

Dr numb lasts hours, it’s the only one my tattooist would permit.
I had my outline done on my back and regretted not trying it. I struggled and didn’t think I could have it completed!
I went for the Dr Numb , less impressed with myself and thought it wouldn’t work. I was so wrong! Bliss!!

However I did miss a bit and the shock of the pain is beyond unreal. And I’m pretty good with pain!

LoudestRoar Sat 26-May-18 21:40:27

I got it done today! No numbing cream used. She would have been happy for me to, but I forgot to apply an hour before. It was painful in parts, but not unbearable. I absolutely love it though!

SureIusedtobetaller Sat 26-May-18 21:43:29

But yet no picture?!grin

LoudestRoar Sat 26-May-18 22:32:08

My London Marathon tattoo...

MistAmougstElephants Sun 27-May-18 00:09:58

Nice! Well done OP.

LifeBeginsAtGin Sun 27-May-18 03:05:59

Well that's erm... unusual.

LoudestRoar Sun 27-May-18 08:10:22

It's obviously not going to be to everyone's taste, but what tattoo ever is? It's very personal to me, and I love it.

notmypropername Sun 27-May-18 08:13:48

I love it! Unusual but very personal! X

BettyBettyBetty Sun 27-May-18 09:49:22

Awesome tattoo!

BettyBettyBetty Sun 27-May-18 09:49:50

Honestly @lifebeginsatgin why comment at all?!

Lilithmoon Sun 27-May-18 10:13:50

Love it OP 😊

NoStraightEdges Sun 27-May-18 10:20:33

That's cool!

LoudestRoar Sun 27-May-18 11:16:43

Thanks all..

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: