Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Audiobooks help!

(32 Posts)
Graphista Mon 21-May-18 09:07:34

I'm out of date with current tech but I used to be good.

Been browsing options audible seems most popular.

But I'm finding the "how it works" advice not that clear?

Is it easy to use once you have it? I have a fire tablet and iPhone SE can I use it on both? If so can I be "reading" a book on tablet and then pick up where I left off on the phone? If so how does this work?

Is the catalogue of available books good? Are there free books and if so are they decent ones? I'm obviously not expecting eg current bestsellers to be available but also wondering if it's mainly dross?

The free trial thing says you get a book a month inc with subscription but is that any book? Is there a price limit?

I may have more questions but they're the ones I have for now.

aharddaysnight Mon 21-May-18 09:23:05

Well Audible works with 'credits'. Each credit can be exchanged for any book on the audible store (so it is worth choosing longer/ more expensive ones, I got the complete Sherlock Holmes at around 70 hours for one credit). The trial gives you one free credit, and then the subscription is buying a credit every month for £7.99, or similar.

Also if you are a subscriber, there are occasional free books (normally classics), and the book of the day which is on sale for less than £3. There are also sales, such as being able to choose three books for two credits from a selection. Don't expect many free books though.

There are apps for downloading on both fire devices and IOS, both I have found easy to use. If you are planning on actually reading on your tablet and listening on your phone then you will need to buy the book twice (though there often is a discount) and it works as you described. This feature is called whispersync.

I think even as a non-subscriber you should be able to see the current audible books available at:
www.audible.co.uk

I don't think I've come across any books there that couldn't be bought with one credit. I also can't think of many books (including current bestsellers) that I haven't found to be available. Often the audiobook is released at the same time as the actual book.

Graphista Mon 21-May-18 09:52:18

Thanks for replying.

How do you get credits?

If one months subscription fee = 1 credit do they roll over if you don't buy a book that month?

I like classics so that sounds good. The book of the day choices tend to be what kinda thing?

Sounds like there's a good selection will check that link out.

Graphista Mon 21-May-18 09:55:45

Oh - I'm thinking of using them to listen to as I fall asleep.

But obviously don't want to listen to ch 1 every night grin is there rewind/ff type functions?

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Mon 21-May-18 09:58:28

Credits keep rolling over until you use them, you don’t have to use them in the month that you get them. If you cancel your subscription then you do lose any outstanding credits, so make sure you use them first.

Graphista Mon 21-May-18 10:04:14

Ok good to know.

Pebblespony Mon 21-May-18 10:06:39

It has a sleep timer function if you 2ant it to turn off after a certain time.

dun1urkin Mon 21-May-18 10:10:41

I use audiobooks to sleep (and on long car journeys, and whilst sewing, and cleaning, and pretty much whenever I can!!)
The audible app has a sleep timer (15, 30 mins, end of chapter etc) and also you can use the timer on your iPhone.
I don’t know about swapping between devices though, as only listen on my phone
aharddaysnight I’ve just finished that Sherlock collection. Very enjoyable smile
I do love a very very long one grin

Graphista Mon 21-May-18 10:14:39

If there's a link to the Sherlock Holmes one I'd like it please, good long one for free plus something I've always wanted to read (I've read a couple years ago).

Re the sleep timer - but can you take the book back to the part you last remember hearing?

Particularly with mysteries (I love crime fiction) would be a nightmare to miss a crucial plot point.

dun1urkin Mon 21-May-18 10:19:32

Yes there’s a rewind function
Here’s the Sherlock Holmes collection (am on my phone, hope the link works)

mobile.audible.co.uk/pd/Crime-Thrillers/Sherlock-Holmes-The-Definitive-Collection-Audiobook/B06X1BRZYC

YetAnotherNewName1000 Mon 21-May-18 10:20:28

Yes, it's easy to navigate. You can use the slider/bar thing to go back a bit, or go back whole chapters, or just a few seconds at a time (when the kids interrupt you).

TheHatOfDoom Mon 21-May-18 10:22:31

I’ve listened via audible for years.

But recently I started listening to free audiobooks from my local library downloaded via an app called Libby.

CMOTDibbler Mon 21-May-18 10:23:22

I love Audible, and listen on different devices and they do sync. Loads of free shows, and if you own the Kindle version of a book, you can buy the Audible at a very reduced cost. So its worth looking out for books being reduced (I get the daily KindofBook email which has books reduced to free and v cheap) and getting them for the audio reduction.

BookWitch Mon 21-May-18 10:26:35

I'm a big Audible user. It's very easy to use (I am not that techie) Once it's on your device, it's yours.

I have the 24 credits for 109 pounds a year, which works out about 4 pounds per credit. You can buy for cash as well - I like the History in an hour Series, which is a brief summary of major historical events, they can be as low as 99p, so I use cash for those.

If you need tech support, they are very very helpful on the live chat.

If you don't like a book, you can send it back for a credit refund, even if you have listened to it. I'm not sure how many times they will let you do that, and I do know some people abuse it, but I have done it a couple of times. You can also gift books to other people with Audible accounts.

Love Audible.

Graphista Mon 21-May-18 12:18:40

They do seem very expensive if not purchased via the credit system. But then that's for the voice actors time I'm guessing and the better known the narrator the more expensive.

Do you have favourite less famous narrators?

Thanks for all further info I've an appointment to get ready for soon but am planning to download and play with later.

BookWitch Mon 21-May-18 12:49:57

Yes always buy with a credit for full books.

My favourite narrator is Jonathan Keeble (who does mostly historical fiction)
The narration for Americanah was excellent, as was Anna Massey reading Rebecca

aharddaysnight Mon 21-May-18 14:22:40

I don't think I particularly have a favourite actor, I rarely end up listening to the same narrator twice. I like history and thrillers and often chose my next book by looking at the bestsellers. Listen to the audio sample before you buy it.

I also do the 109 pounds a year for 24 credits. Each credit then works out at about £4.50 and any book that costs less than that I buy with cash, and any over that I use credits.

donajimena Mon 21-May-18 14:26:23

I love audible! I never thought I would as I'm a real print fan. I'm a cleaner and some of my shifts are up to 4 hours and they really make the time pass nicely.
Sorry I'm no help with the technical side of things.

Graphista Mon 21-May-18 16:33:33

I'm a huge book fan but I'm not a traditionalist. I like print books, the smell of new books etc but I got my first kindle for my 40th and LOVED it. Meant I could take a whole library in my handbag wherever I went. Meant I could have smaller handbags too grin previously I was still carrying a backpack like a student!

This is the next step.

Glad to hear there is a rewind function can anyone tell me how that works or even screenshot what it looks like or anything?

Also book/title recommendations would be great (between print and kindle I have at least 2 copies of my favourites already, seems silly to buy a 3rd).

My favourite authors are:

Classics authors mainly Victorian:
Bronte sisters
Jane Austen
Charles Dickens
Louisa May Alcott
Henry James
George Orwell
F Scott Fitzgerald
Sue grafton (RIP)
Marian Keyes
Agatha Christie
Tess Geritsen
The true Virgjnia Andrews
Kate Atkinson
Maya Angelou

I also like autobiographies by celebs I like

Accessible history, travel, politics and other non fiction. You know when you get those rare non-fiction books that are just easy to read? Like games people play, eats shoots and leaves, I once had a book that was just Oscar Wilde quotes - LOVED that, sadly lost to a house move.

So... Any recommendations/links?

Think Holmes will be my first pick as I do like my crime fiction.

Madonnasmum Mon 21-May-18 16:44:29

You'll find all of them on Audible. The selection is huge!
I tried the Sherlock Holmes but couldn't get into it, so I returned it.

FATEdestiny Mon 21-May-18 17:00:08

Attached is

- what "my library" looks like in the app
- what the dcreen looks like when listening to a book. You can see rewind, fast forward buttons. Back/forward by chapter or by 60 seconds at a time
- sleep timer

My recommendation would be Stephen Fry reading Harry Potter. I mostly listen to the whole series on a loop blush

Also - see if your local library do an studio book app. My local authority (Nottinghamshire) use an app called RBDIGITAL. All audio books are fee via that app! They have most of the best sellers on there. I just listened to the new Phillip Pulman Book of Dust (read by Michael Sheen) on there. They have all the Harry Potters, most of the big crime writers, Lord of kids books like Walliams etc. Worth looking into it.

FATEdestiny Mon 21-May-18 17:00:50

Forgot to add images

Furano Mon 21-May-18 17:04:10

@TheHatOfDoom oh my goodness I did not know about that app! That is amazing!

I always used to borrow audioboks on CD and tape from my library but didn't know you could do it digitally.

Graphista Mon 21-May-18 17:13:19

I never thought to check library! I'll call them tomorrow and ask <makes note to self to dig out library card>.

I'm agoraphobic and currently housebound so hoping they can help by phone.

Thanks very much for the screen shot.

In pic 2 does that slider at the top in orange? Let you rewind?

Magicstar1 Mon 21-May-18 17:21:07

I have Kindle Unlimited from Amazon, and have downloaded dozens of audiobooks. It costs me €8.00 per month, and I can borrow up to 10 at a time. Loads of crime, thrillers, romance etc. You can sign up for a free month and check it out.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: