Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

How super bad is a lot of processed food?

(15 Posts)
duchessofsussex Mon 21-May-18 07:50:05

My FIL is 90 and lives alone 100 miles from us. We are the nearest relatives. He has a few mobility issues but has a lovely cleaner who visits a few times a week and also does his shopping with him.

He has been unwell so my DH has gone down to see him. He is suffering shortness of breath but the doctors can find nothing wrong with him.

Going through what he needs food wise DH has told me he eats a lots of tinned soup and ready meals. Seems he eats a lot of processed foods.

What impact is this likely to be having on his health and what can we do to help remedy it? He is a poor cook at the best of times and his mobility makes it hard for him to stand or keep his balance so I also worry about his safety in the kitchen

He does not accept help easily so I am really unsure what, if anything, we can do.

statetrooperstacey Mon 21-May-18 07:52:18

Multi vitamin and not much else. Be pleased he is still eating. I think at 90 he is doing well to still be able to live alone. Look into Wiltshire foods? flowers

gobbynorthernbird Mon 21-May-18 07:56:18

At 90 there's probably a bigger risk of him injuring himself cooking, than whatever a few ready meals could do. It's the lesser of two evils, IMO.

BrownTurkey Mon 21-May-18 07:58:47

Try Wiltshire Farm foods but try not to worry. He may have a small appetite now and will like his favourites.

duchessofsussex Mon 21-May-18 07:58:48

I am pleased he is eating but I guess I am wondering if his shortness of breath has something to do with his diet. He has had bloods done and everything is fine which suggests it probably isn't.

The only other thing it might be is anxiety. MIL died in August last year and it is possible this is only just hitting home.

It is a worry when he is so far away.

EssentialHummus Mon 21-May-18 07:59:10

I’d look into something like Wiltshire Farm Foods (?), probably things like that that are geared towards people needing ready meals rather than using them for convenience iyswim.

Bluntness100 Mon 21-May-18 07:59:58

I think as he will be unable to cook himself freshly cooked meals from scratch, I would not be concerned about this. He's eating, he's managing. Unless you're going to hire a Private chef there is little to be done.

To be honest, he's 90 and lives alone, so he's not doing badly on it.

CMOTDibbler Mon 21-May-18 08:12:13

At 90, as long as he has some fruit juice so he doesn't get scurvy, and has some source of iron, the most important thing is that he gets to eat whatever he fancies.

duchessofsussex Mon 21-May-18 08:30:17

He does eat a lot of oranges so I guess that is good!

duchessofsussex Mon 21-May-18 08:36:03

Wiltshire Farm Food looks great and they deliver to his area. Will pass that on to DH to look at with him. FIL is good with technology so ordering online shouldn't be an issue.

penguinsnpandas Mon 21-May-18 08:39:43

If he's eating fruit as well I wouldn't be concerned. It maybe the cleaner if she already helps shop would be willing to do a few more hours and cook for him (and maybe her and/or a friend of his so he's got company) something like a roast dinner once a week.

mayhew Mon 21-May-18 08:59:01

When I was a nurse, a man of 108 was admitted. When asked about his diet he said he lived on a drink of milk, raw egg and whisky! The doctor said he advised adding a daily multivitamin with iron but to carry on as he wished.

duchessofsussex Mon 21-May-18 09:15:28

Gosh Mayhew That is brilliant!

To be honest of FIL was fine i wouldn't be worrying about what he ate. It is just that he seems to be feeling unwell and is worrying himself about it so i am trying to think of things that might help. His cleaner/helper was ill a few weeks back and i think it threw him as he didn't have his usual lifeline. If we can put some things in place he can fall back on it might help him not to worry so much.

I feel quite sure he is experiencing anxiety attacks but obviously i am not a doctor and i haven't even seen him. It just reminds me of the way i felt when i have had anxiety attacks in the past.

FinallyHere Mon 21-May-18 20:37:02

We tried Wiltshire Farm Foods for my mother who found them tasteless and unappetising.

Another similar service with very tasty food is https://www.cookfood.net

Hope you find what works.

Shampooeeee Mon 21-May-18 20:40:02

I also came to recommend Cook! I think it’s the next best thing to home cooking.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: