Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Reusable pads and moon cup.. help!

(19 Posts)
Yukbuck Sun 20-May-18 19:56:52

Okay so I'm really trying to be more mindful of the environment. We can't stop periods (well there are pills... but I'm not on any!) So I'm trying to explore options such as the moon cup (or other varieties!) And reusable pads. Really interested to hear tips. Are reusable pads worth it? Do they leak ? Where to buy ?
Moon cups.. how to I know which one to try without spending a fortune? I want to be better for the environment but haven't got masses of money to spend in one go.
Any tips would be fab and appreciated!

greathat Sun 20-May-18 20:02:19

I love my reusable pads and moon cup! Was converted a few months ago - would never go back. I started with some cheaply reusable pads off amazon, but have since bought some expensive honouryourflow ones which are better

Yukbuck Sun 20-May-18 20:52:56

Thank you 😊 will check out that website. How did you find the ones from Amazon? Wondering whether to give them a try first.

Voice0fReason Sun 20-May-18 22:39:04

I have both a mooncup and a few washable pads and I love them all.
The mooncup does seem like a lot to spend initially but I've had mine for about 15 years now and it's still in excellent condition.

There are a few websites that compare the different cups and different ones suit different people.

This Youtube site has lots of reviews
www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSqCs8HqLbI

And this might be handy too
theecofriendlyfamily.com/what-menstrual-cup-is-right-for-you/

greathat Sun 20-May-18 22:46:26

The seller of the cheapy ones on amazon was hibaby. Came from chinA but very quick and good quality. Buy the fleece backed ones though as they move less

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01FBT2G6A?psc=1&ref=yopopp_mbpdd_title

annandale Sun 20-May-18 22:49:58

I have five washable pads which is just about enough for me if I do a wash halfway through. Ten would be more comfortable! My periods are quite short but moderate. I like the fleece backed ones.

Yukbuck Mon 21-May-18 12:57:20

This is all brilliant. Thanks all! I

LaChatte Mon 21-May-18 12:59:49

Honour you flow are brilliant (I've got ones from Amazon too, but there no where near as good).

EmpressOfSpartacus Mon 21-May-18 13:06:44

I use www.cheekywipes.com/cloth-sanitary-pad-kits/cloth-sanitary-pad-kits.html and I'm really happy with them. My first two nights are normally fairly heavy and they cope with that, and they're comfortable for running in too. I put them straight into a bucket of cold water after use & then do a cold wash at the end - works fine.

I would go back to disposables for holidays though, just for the convenience.

rosetintedview Mon 21-May-18 13:14:03

Ooh following. I've had a moo cup for a couple of years but quite fancy washable pads for catching leaks so interested to hear opinions on the best ones

Yukbuck Tue 22-May-18 08:18:18

I'm familiar with cheeky wipes (nappies!) Didn't know they did sanitary towels too! Exciting stuff. Might look at that and honour your flow and go for the cheapest package

ofcoursehesthefuckingfarmer Tue 22-May-18 08:22:17

I use honour your flow pads alongside a mooncup. I love them, no more sweaty bits, no more rustling and no more thrush! Plus the benefits for the environment too.

Yukbuck Tue 22-May-18 08:24:09

Do the pads slide around a bit would you say?

NannyR Tue 22-May-18 08:24:23

Earthwise girls website has a good selection of different brands. I really like the imse vimse ones. They stay put, don't leak and are a long shape but not bulky.

SwayingInTime Tue 22-May-18 08:30:04

I use imse vimse pads for night time but have never found ones I like for day so will check out these recommendations. Anyone using the knickers? I still don’t really understand how they work!

I like Meluna cups best, I use normal texture, extra large, no stem at all (an ‘advanced’ choice grin) but that video by pp should help you.

SugarButterFlour Tue 22-May-18 08:30:57

Another Honour Your Flow fan. I have other makes, but they're nowhere near as good. HYF do a range of sizes, including night ones which are fab. No sliding.
Tried a mooncup, but didn't get on with it - although think that's a consequence of having two kids.
Period pains have also significantly reduced since switching.

HemanOrSheRa Tue 22-May-18 08:36:40

I use honour your flow pads. They do not slide or move at all, I find. They are really soft and cushy so no more sore bits, itching or thrush after my period. I ALWAYS suffer if I have to use disposables for any reason.

If you are on FB then follow the honour your flow page - she posts regular offers.

EmpressOfSpartacus Tue 22-May-18 09:07:49

Do the pads slide around a bit would you say?

The Cheeky ones do, occasionally, in which case I turn them the other way round & that fixes it. I don't think I'd get on with a mooncup.

summerisonitway Tue 22-May-18 09:20:30

I use cheeky wipes pads. I actually find them much more reliable leakage-wise than disposables. They are also much better for my skin and don't irritate at all. I actually find them quite comfy to wear. The only time I really struggle with them slipping is if I am in the car for a long time for some reason.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: