Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Do you know BSL? Can you help me?

(10 Posts)
GinaCarbonara Sun 20-May-18 18:21:59

I'm having trouble signing some things with my right hand, I can't seem to move my pinky and ring finger independently (I can't use the three middle fingers to sign three for example, and I can't sign 'which' properly either.

I can do it perfectly with my left (non dominant) hand- what do you think I should do?

Is it ok to make some signs with your non dominant hand, or can I use another sign for three/third like either the first or last three fingers?

Or do you know any finger stretches I can do?!

YoucancallmeVal Sun 20-May-18 18:31:49

I don't think your fluency would be great if you were switching, though if you were using 'which' as an isolated sign it would be ok. Can you not get your little finger out at all? I'd think the combination of clenched fist, thumb out, approximation of little finger would be ok, esp if you use a lip pattern.

ToDuk Sun 20-May-18 18:36:23

Yea I think an approximation will be fine. When little kids are starting to sign they use all kinds of clumsy little variations but generally people can understand.

GummyGoddess Sun 20-May-18 18:38:42

We were told to pick a dominant hand and stick to it, but if you're OK with most signs then you should be understood.

GinaCarbonara Sun 20-May-18 18:47:14

I can get my pinky out a little, but because I can't use my thumb to hold the other fingers it just looks like a mangled claw. On my left hand I can do it perfectly straight and with ease, I have no idea what's happened to the right hand!

Do you think I can use the ASL version of 3? Or maybe if I just keep practising it will loosen up and stop hurting so much?

Thanks for your help! I don't have anyone to practise with in real life so it's a big help.

CatchingBabies Sun 20-May-18 18:58:49

You will be fine switching hands and will be understood, left handed signers use their left hand also. Additionally many of the deaf people I know switch hands sometimes or sign 2 handed signs with 1, they are usually holding a drink etc.

YoucancallmeVal Sun 20-May-18 20:02:52

Yes re 3 though make sure you keep your hand upright or it's a bsl 8! If necessary clarify by pointing to them as if counting.

ToDuk Sun 20-May-18 21:25:49

I wouldn't try switching to the ASL version. Not everyone would know it.

UpstartCrow Sun 20-May-18 21:27:56

It would be better to switch to your left hand and make a clear sign.

GinaCarbonara Mon 21-May-18 11:10:53

Okay, thanks everyone! I'll carry on and see if using my left hand is an issue with fluency.

Thanks for all your help

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: