Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Does anyone else hate their body?

(48 Posts)
losenotloose Sun 20-May-18 10:35:16

I hate mine. I think of it like a dirty secret hiding under my clothes. I'm tall and not overweight so people sometimes say "you've got a great figure" but I know what's lurking underneath. I've got loose skin and stretch marks on my stomach which I know will never go, saggy tits, stretch marks on my thighs, bum, cellulite etc.

I love the summer weather but it makes me feel insecure and worthless when I see so many perfect bodies on display. Apologies for the self absorbed, shallow post but sadly it really affects my enjoyment of life. I'm so glad I haven't got daughters. Does anyone else feel like this??

TheHulksPurplePanties Sun 20-May-18 10:38:07

All the time. But I'm medium height and chubby, so I don't even get great figure comments.

YoucancallmeVal Sun 20-May-18 10:39:29

Yes. Completely get it.
I'm a size 12-14. I see myself as being morbidly obese. I have real issues with it, although am very aware it's not healthy at all.

Frosty66612 Sun 20-May-18 10:40:37

I like parts of my body (I think I have great boobs and a nice waist). Hate my bum, hips, thighs and bingo wings though. They can make me feel really self conscious on warm days where I want to wear less

Waitingonasmiley42 Sun 20-May-18 10:41:48

Yes! Now a size 12 and know I look chunky/I'm overweight. Underneath there's stretch marks and loose skin. sad

losenotloose Sun 20-May-18 10:43:04

The great figure comments aren't necessarily a good thing though because it makes me feel as though I have to hide the truth if that makes sense?

itsbetterthanabox Sun 20-May-18 10:43:44

I don't hate my body no.
Try not to focus on it. Think about other things. Keep busy. Look in the mirror less.
You are worth much more than your appearance.

gamerwidow Sun 20-May-18 10:44:07

How much is it affecting your enjoyment of life? Do you think you could be depressed? I only ask because my mums first symptoms of depression were extreme unhappiness about the size of her nose. Sometimes we focus on external things as displacement when we’re unhappy inside.
Everyone has things they dislike about their body but it shouldn’t be ruining your ability to enjoy life.
You are you, be proud of you. There is more to you then some minor bodily imperfections.

Bobbiepin Sun 20-May-18 10:44:21

Yes. It's played a massive part in making me miserable after having a baby. My stomach is huge and everything else (apart from my boobs) is bigger and wobbly. I didn't expect to be in perfect shape after giving birth but I was totally unprepared for how much I could hate myself.

Middleoftheroad Sun 20-May-18 10:45:01

Yes. I'm short with a massive C-section iverhang. When I lost lots of weight it looked worse.

I can buy the best supportive swim suit in the world, but once it hits water it accenctuates my dispropirionate pouch and clings to it for dear life.

That's my main issue - but there are many others (usual stretch marks, cellulite etc. But can live with those. The extreme overhang feels really quite freakish. Think my baggy body style programmes).

It's all relative though. I laugh at the Bridget Jones big knickers scenes as I'd kill to have a stomach even that supposedly fat!

Middleoftheroad Sun 20-May-18 10:45:41

This is 12 years after twins so the pouch aint going anywhere either.

losenotloose Sun 20-May-18 10:48:07

I've got a good life and I don't think I'm depressed but I would say since I was a young girl my self esteem has been tied up with my appearance. It's not good but the pressure from society is definitely there. I felt the same after having dc. Shocked by the effect on my body. That was 12 years ago!

RedPandaMama Sun 20-May-18 10:50:41

Hi, me!

I used to get lots of compliments before I had DD about how I had a lovely curvy figure. I did, I guess, I'm tall and a size 14 really suited me and I used to work out a lot so was quite toned and a flattish stomach. I'm now more like an 18 and desperately trying to lose it, although I'm not fixating on my weight any more. I grew up constantly being forcibly weighed by my mum and being told I was fat and useless and it really ruined how I thought about myself. Only with the help of a very supportive DP have I started realising I'm not all that bad.

So for now, I hate that I'm fat but I'm working on it, I know there's a nice shape underneath, I'm not loving the stretchmarks all the way from my bellybutton to my mid thighs, but they will fade and they are a reminder of the change my body made to produce my daughter. I hate that I have a double chin at the moment but that will go when the weight does, I'm excited to welcome back jawlines and cheekbones.

But I HATE my boobs and always have done, that will never change until I get my reduction and lift. They've never been smaller than a 34G since I was 16 and are up to a 34JJ post-baby. And theyve always looked ridiculous even on my large-ish frame, they stick out to the sides and are saggy without a bra and even worse after breastfeeding. God they make me feel like shit.

Twoweekcruise Sun 20-May-18 10:55:21

I’m with you op. My self esteem is definitely connected to my self image. I’m 5 foot 6 and a size 8-10, people are always commenting on my figure and saying how lucky I am to be so slim etc. But even though I work hard at maintaining it, I hate it. I’d never wear shorts and never, ever wear a bikini. I’m always really envious of women who have high self esteem when it comes to body image. I see women of all shapes and sizes on the beach and wish I could have that kind of confidence but all I see in my head is this perfect body image we are fed by the media ie:- young, beautiful, tight, slim and tanned bodies and I look at my corned beef skin and my ‘deflated balloon’ tummy and shudder!!

TheHulksPurplePanties Sun 20-May-18 10:56:07

The great figure comments aren't necessarily a good thing though because it makes me feel as though I have to hide the truth if that makes sense?

Sorry, didn't mean to sound flippant. Before DC I used to get them all the time and they just made me uncomfortable. There was always such a focus on how thin I was, that now that I'm no longer thin, it makes me hate myself.

NoNamesLeft86 Sun 20-May-18 10:58:38

I feel exactly the same but I'm a large lady so I think a lot of it is down to that. But also stretch marks etc

Viewofhedges Sun 20-May-18 11:01:53

I used to feel quite depressed about an imperfect body but a comment from a friend really changed my way of thinking. She just said once "I like my legs, they work really well" or something like that. Now I think a lot more about the way my body supports me, allows me to do things, and I find I mind a lot less about its shape. (That's not to say I have perfect health, because I don't, but I'm glad for what I do have.) OP you do have a fabulous, wonderful body. Only photoshopped pictures are "perfect", and they can't move.

gluteustothemaximus Sun 20-May-18 11:09:57

My boobs are saggy.

I have diastasis recti so my stomach permanently sticks out.

I did lose 3 stone, but 1 stone is back because I love chocolate and life is stressful right now.

I love my body for the 3 children I have, but I don’t feel confident anymore.

I used to have a cracking figure sad

gluteustothemaximus Sun 20-May-18 11:12:15

Viewofhedges - that’s a good view. I always try to think positive about what I do have and be grateful.

OdileDeCaray Sun 20-May-18 11:21:38

I love my body but hate my teeth and one big toe!

I am dedicated to maintaining everything though and have done from an early age.

Some women on here have been derogative and sneering at those of us who spend time on our appearance but if I didn't I would spend the same amount of time on dwelling on parts that weren't looking good!

You can improve your skin on your body by finding the right moisturiser and just the act of massaging it in is loving your body and making you feel better about yourself.

The one thing I have noticed is in today's world everyone is so hung up on their own appearance they haven't got time to look at anyone else!

LifeBeginsAtGin Sun 20-May-18 11:30:55

I think everyone hates some part of their body but there's little you can do about it.

Accentuate your good bits.

Bobbiepin Sun 20-May-18 11:43:06

@viewofhedges that's a great way of thinking about things but it is harder when my fitness & strength has disappeared since childbirth. I used to be able to squat 75kg & run 6 miles in less than an hour. Now I get out of breath carrying DD up the stairs. I think that hurts more than anything else.

losenotloose Sun 20-May-18 12:19:51

It's sad that so many of us feel like this. What makes me feel really bad us that there's nothing I can do about it! If I thought diet and exercise would fix it I'd work out every day but there's nothing you can do for loose skin and stretch marks.

I do try and appreciate what I've got but warm weather brings out the worst in me.

1BubblebathAddict Sun 20-May-18 12:25:13

I dislike my body...I have cellulite all over my thighs. I have stretch marks but I'm not too bothered as they're from having kiddies. I have a pouch from my C-section which I try not to focus too much on.

I have a small gap at the side of my teeth which I hate. My Mum had a fear of dentists when I was young so I didn't get braces until I was an adult. But my parents used to tell me I would never get a boyfriend because of how bad my teeth were. They are straight now but my confidence has certainly been knocked sad x

lovetheway Sun 20-May-18 12:41:21

I really hate my body at the moment sad. I am fat because I'm ill and on steroids so the fat is in weird places. I have a great fat round face as well.

Scleroderma has also changed my facial features, and my hair is thinning AGAIN. I want a whole body transplant.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: