Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

My friend is wearing a long white dress to my wedding....

(106 Posts)
MaidenMotherCrone Sun 20-May-18 10:00:25

and it doesn’t bother me at all. Why would it? I know this is a MN no no so obviously I shouldn’t be heregrin.

It’s made me think of all the things I do quite happily that fall short of MN approval but can’t bring myself to talk about here grinAnyone care to share theirs so I know I’m not alone in not caring what anyone thinks feeling suitably ashamed.

Snewname Sun 20-May-18 10:02:18

Well it's certainly odd, even if it doesn't bother you. Did she tell you to give you a chance to object, or did she present it as a fait accompli?

wtf2018 Sun 20-May-18 10:02:30

Well my dad walked me down the aisle in jeans and I was happy (white wedding and all otherwise)

It will be the guests not the bride who has the problem though

Awwlookatmybabyspider Sun 20-May-18 10:04:32

She's going to be getting the WTF faces not you

restingbemusedface Sun 20-May-18 10:05:46

I’m asking for cash gifts. I keep looking out for a thread about my wedding.

MaidenMotherCrone Sun 20-May-18 10:09:09

She said she’s found a dress and feels fabulous in it. Surely that’s more important than anything else.

DoryNow Sun 20-May-18 10:09:15

I use a loo brush quite happily, my loo is perfectly clean, we change ghe brush regularly & none of us have yet died of typhus or similar.
grin

MaidenMotherCrone Sun 20-May-18 10:10:53

Luckily for me (and her) all my friends and family really couldn’t give two hoots about things like that.

formerbabe Sun 20-May-18 10:15:35

She said she’s found a dress and feels fabulous in it. Surely that’s more important than anything else

Well yes, in this narcissistic, superficial, social media world we now live in, that really is the most important thing EVER.

Cheto Sun 20-May-18 10:16:52

That's just odd hmm

MaidenMotherCrone Sun 20-May-18 10:19:09

Well she’s non of the things you’ve described confused

HeddaGarbled Sun 20-May-18 10:22:59

Well there's something wrong with her if she thinks it's OK to wear a long white dress to someone else's wedding.

Lilifer Sun 20-May-18 10:23:20

gringrinthis is hilarious OP ! People on here seem to be actually getting annoyed at you for not getting annoyed! Only on MN!

My best friend wore a white trousers suit to me wedding. Could I give two flying fucks?

I could not! smile

formerbabe Sun 20-May-18 10:23:25

Well she’s non of the things you’ve described

I never said she was. You said that the most important thing is the fact that she has a dress she feels fabulous in. I'm just saying that its an interesting state of affairs that that is more important nowadays than politeness and etiquette.

WeeMadArthur Sun 20-May-18 10:24:54

I don’t understand why she would even consider trying on a long white dress to wear to a wedding in the first place.

ToastyFingers Sun 20-May-18 10:25:10

The photos will look odd though, unless she's right at the back then a second white dress will pull focus.

Lilifer Sun 20-May-18 10:25:11

It's not impolite to wear white to a wedding any more than it's impolite for the bride to wear red lilac cream or any other bloody colour she chooses on the day.

happypoobum Sun 20-May-18 10:26:48

I seriously doubt everyone there will think it's OK.

All anyone will ever say about your wedding is, "Oh do you remember X wore a long white dress"

If you don't care though then yeah, so what.

Tobuyornot99 Sun 20-May-18 10:30:15

I have no right to be on MN either OP.
I get on with MIL and think she's wonderful
I smoke
I let my child eat wotsits for breakfast in the car if she's refused anything else
I dont care about the royal wedding....the list goes on

ImAGoofyGoober Sun 20-May-18 10:31:03

One of our friends turned up dressed entirely in white. White suit, white hat, white shoes, we thought he looked fab!

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g Sun 20-May-18 10:31:06

Gosh, so many people determined to make this into a big deal. Very few long white dresses look like a bridal gown. Presumably your friend has an idea of what your dress will look like. If you were going for a very casual wedding with a non-traditional dress, maybe this would be an issue. Even then, though, surely the one thing you can count on at a wedding is that all the guests will have met the bride before? How could there be any confusion between her and another guest who happens to be wearing white? This baffles me.

SuburbanRhonda Sun 20-May-18 10:31:47

So this a stealth boast about how cool you are not to mind about it?

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 20-May-18 10:32:00

That’s weird.

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g Sun 20-May-18 10:32:19

How incredibly depressing to think of going to the wedding of a loved one and all you can talk about afterwards is what one of the other guests was wearing.

wtf2018 Sun 20-May-18 10:35:01

Ah OP I see your problem. You don't fit in with the etiquette of MN full stop. Sorry thankswink

How very dare you start a thread about it!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: