Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Plantar fascitis pain

(36 Posts)
LockedOutOfMN Sat 19-May-18 22:49:45

I have plantar fascitis in my left foot. The pain has been terrible since the middle of last night (it woke me up and I couldn't get back to sleep with the throbbing)and it's just got worse and worse. It's the only thing I can think of.

I've done all the stretches several times, iced, and taken my usual anti inflammatory plus as many painkillers as possible and rubbed numbing ibuprofen gel onto it regularly.

Any more tips? When will it go away?

ragged Sat 19-May-18 22:51:20

Mine is milder than that, but it goes away if I go out & use it (long walk or run). Afterwards main thing for me is to keep moving instead of sitting a long spell. It's after I sit still too long it stiffens up & gets painful again.

LockedOutOfMN Sat 19-May-18 23:04:09

Thanks, ragged. I played basketball this morning and have also been for a run (30 minutes) and I've been walking around the house as like you say it hurts more if I sit down.

ragged Sat 19-May-18 23:07:11

Do you have a spiky massage ball? Mine feels better while I use mine, anyway.

LockedOutOfMN Sat 19-May-18 23:07:57

Thanks ragged. No I don't have one of them. Anything I could use round the house for a similar effect until the pharmacy opens tomorrow?

Crunchymum Sat 19-May-18 23:09:02

I have it both feet. It's fucking debilitating!!

Foothugs slipper have been great.

Trilogy18 Sat 19-May-18 23:10:04

Hi OP are you doing the stretch where you loop a towel over the ball of your feet and pull on the ends so your foot is stretched back? I found that the most helpful.

Also rolling a ball or rolling pin heel to toe and back again. A physio friend gave me a spiky ball to do this with and although I was initially sceptical I found the spiky ball really helped.

Otherwise just rest and wearing trainers around the house, it sounds as if you have overdone it a bit

Crunchymum Sat 19-May-18 23:10:08

Google online exercises.

Freeze a bottle of water and roll your foot over bottle.

Trilogy18 Sat 19-May-18 23:10:38

Cross post, yes that's the ball I used!

WhoKnowsWhereTheW1neGoes Sat 19-May-18 23:13:49

A golf ball is a good alternative to the spiky one.

LockedOutOfMN Sat 19-May-18 23:16:17

I've done a lot of stretches, I have a whole range of them from the physio and a physio band to use. Also done the ice but the pain seems completely un-numb-able today, just keeps throbbing. DS is bringing me various spherical toys and objects to use instead of a spiky massage ball. We don't have a golf ball unfortunately.

Thank you to everyone for your very kind responses.

Enko Sun 20-May-18 00:00:49

feel for you OP got this issue myself combined with a Mortons Neuroma so I am messed up almost what ever shoe I wear..

I found inserts helped a lot for my pain but ice made it worse for me. Heat took some of the pain though.

LockedOutOfMN Sun 20-May-18 00:07:16

Thanks Enko. I'll try heat.

I have orthotic inserts for my shoes but right now the pain is terrible whichever shoe I've got on.

ittakes2 Sun 20-May-18 05:55:45

Unfort it can last for quite a long time. Lots of people have ended up resolving the problem by living in trainers only for months. I literally had 6 months of physio twice a week - the only thing which finally did it was going to a chiro as my posture had gone wrong and I was putting pressure on the wrong parts of my foot triggering it. I also regularly did that exercise where your stretch it by standing on a step and dropping your foot. I also bit the bullet and wore trainers full time for a bit. Good luck.

ElfrideSwancourt Sun 20-May-18 06:02:49

Do you have any Fit Flops? I had it in both feet, and wearing Fitflops religiously was the only thing that helped- steroid injections didn't touch mine.

I even have the Fitflops slippers- now about 5 years later I can wear 'ordinary ' shoes, with orthotics in, occasionally as long as I wear Fitflops all the rest of the time.
You can get spiky balls on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009G5R6TS/ref=cmsww_rcpp_apiii_xeqaBb10AX5QR

rememberthetime Sun 20-May-18 06:50:11

Another sufferer here... both feet. Always worse after I actually use my feet. I think staying off them as much as possible to allow healing is advised.
Mine have started to improve from wearing fitflops as slippers all day everyday.
You could try strapping your foot if you have a bandage at home. Effectively forcing it into a constant stretch.

bunce Sun 20-May-18 07:13:07

I used to have terrible PF years ago, I remember almost having to crawl / hobble to the bathroom in the mornings (they were worst for me) In my job at the time i had to wear boots for 12 hours a day. Once i left that job i wore trainers. Ive never had it since.

converseandjeans Sun 20-May-18 07:17:35

I had to buy a pair of crocs to wear round the house as the arch support helped and then lived in birkenstocks and sketchers last summer. Not hugely attractive but finally cured me. Ibuprofen also good as well as the iced bottle and exercises.

Cobblersandhogwash Sun 20-May-18 10:53:45

Plantar fasciitis is horrible. I had it for six months.

Drop your heels one at the time over the edge of a step for 30 second x 6.

It can be caused by too tight calf muscles and stretching them out can help.

Cobblersandhogwash Sun 20-May-18 10:54:26

As in the tight calf muscles pull up the fascii of the foot.

ragged Sun 20-May-18 11:03:04

That heel drop exercise is funny to read about. It seems like same basic exercise that one does for achilles tendonitis.

I had bad AT last year... 2m after I started doing those exercises regularly, I got my first bout of PF. I also came to conclusion I got the AT partly due to overstretching the Achilles (which linkes to calf muscles). I don't think my body read the manual. grin

Wotrewelookinat Sun 20-May-18 11:04:10

Another sufferer here. The only things that have helped me are:
Never walking around in bare feet, always wear Crocs in the house.
Orthotic inserts, can’t walk in any shoes without these.
Foot splint that I wear when it’s flaring up, at night, but also if I’m sitting on the sofa watching tv etc. This really helped last summer after wearing sandals too much, I just bought one from Amazon.

OneWouldHopeSo Sun 20-May-18 11:10:20

Sketchers ugly shoes cured me too. I have no sign of it now and it got better really quickly. I am very careful about shoes I wear though.

Also this exercise above:. Hi OP are you doing the stretch where you loop a towel over the ball of your feet and pull on the ends so your foot is stretched back? I found that the most helpful.

LockedOutOfMN Sun 20-May-18 11:18:28

Got a spiky ball this morning from the pharmacy.

I only ever wear Skechers, with the custom orthotics in. Never wear bare feet. Full range of exercises 2 or 3 times a day and start the stretches in bed before I get up.

I used to have the boot splint to wear in bed but the physio said it wasn't doing anything.

I have been to a chiropractor before who said everything in my back is as it should be but I'll see if I can get another referral and see whether anything has changed.

Enko Sun 20-May-18 12:26:43

Within this Have anyone ever found shoes suitable for a working environment? I have to wear business like shoes for work and really struggle to find any that actually are suitable.. Crocks. berkinstocks anything open toed are not ok nor are sketchers (as too like a trainer)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: