Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Was there a point at which you got rid of toys?

(27 Posts)
WhiteFreesias Sat 19-May-18 12:32:43

DC is 11 and although he doesn't play with toys on a regular basis he's obviously still very attached. We have had a one in, one out policy for many years. Did anyone have a major sort out and gibrid of them in one fell swoop.

I'm thinking of having a massive cull and sending most of them to women's refuge or seeing if the fostering service would like them.

TeenTimesTwo Sat 19-May-18 12:35:57

DD2 is 13. I went in to her room this morning and found all her Sleich(?) animals out of their tins and stood up. So don't rush them out of their childhood.

upsideup Sat 19-May-18 12:36:38

DD is 11 and still has lots of toys, she throws lots away everytime she fully cleans her room though.
They are her things not mine so I would never think of forcing her to get rid of anything.

YoucancallmeVal Sat 19-May-18 12:37:12

Mine is y7 now and we have had a huge pruning but somehow still seem to have tons!! She has been allowed to keep the things she loves but plays with them so little now. I'm hoping for them all to be gone within the next year.

GummyGoddess Sat 19-May-18 12:38:06

I remember getting rid of my own when ready. I wouldn't dream of removing them from dc when he's bigger.

Caramelapplecake Sat 19-May-18 12:51:00

I regularly asked my DS to go through his toy box and sort out things he no longer played with. Most board games kept as played in holiday, lego and some figure things that were in kits stayed until secondary school, Nerf guns, scooter a little longer. His favourite stuffed monkey stayed on the shelf for years - he's in the wardrobe now smile

squidgesquodge Sat 19-May-18 12:54:07

Mine are 8 & 6 and we've just had a clear out of the toddler toys. Jigsaw puzzles & orchard toys won't be missed but I'm worried that the play food, till and kitchen will be, especially during the summer holidays. The duplo and brio has gone up into the loft so I can always get that back down. We also got rid of a whole load of play figures but we have so much Playmobil that they can just use those people instead.

WhiteFreesias Sat 19-May-18 13:24:19

He has many, many toys. Sorting of toys when he is here has never gone very well in the past but now he's a bit bigger it may be a good time to involve him.

I'm not suggesting everything goes but there are a tonne of things he'd never touch again that other DC would love and it all seems like such a waste.

Teen that's my conflict, I don't want to rush him. I'm happy for him to paly with toys as long as he wants to. I think Ben 10 and cars can go.

TeenTimesTwo Sat 19-May-18 20:51:59

Have you got another place things could go to as a half way house?

e.g. Box up with him, then if not missed by him after 4 months it goes?

Anything really special to go in a keepsake box in the loft?

thenewaveragebear1983 Sun 20-May-18 09:29:31

My Dm encouraged us to sell our toys when we moved house as children (I was 10). My barbies, sylvanians etc.

I literally have never forgiven her. At the time, having £20 or whatever as cash was great, but I missed my toys. My sister and I still discuss this event. If you possibly can, I’d allow him to keep more than you think, even if that’s in the loft or garage, for a bit longer than you think he should.

Bear2014 Sun 20-May-18 09:57:42

I would probably be led by him - there might be some he would be willing to let go of no worries. If it's more of question mark could it go in the loft for a while?

GrumpyOlderBloke Sun 20-May-18 10:07:42

Be very cautious about 'ageless' toys.

Last time all three of my boys were home one of them went up into the loft and brought down the Meccano, Legotechnic and Capsella.

They spent an entire afternoon and most of an evening building a huge crane from the Meccano, accompanied by the usual bickering.

Eldest is 33.

TeenTimesTwo Sun 20-May-18 10:12:42

We have board games from when I was young, and some books, and lego, and some puzzles. It was lovely getting out 'Mr Gumpy's Outing' to read to DD2. It has gone away now, along with new favourites like 'Fix It Duck' to hopefully get out for a new generation (please not too soon though).

Iceweasel Sun 20-May-18 10:21:30

He got rid of them when he no longer played with them, they went to younger kids and charity shops. Then we moved overseas when he was 10 and he gave all his Lego to a friend. Doesn't play with any now at 12. I have asked him if he would like a Lego Technic set for Christmas or his birthday but he would rather spend the money on other things.

WhiteFreesias Sat 26-May-18 07:28:23

Good point actually, he never asks for new toys.

I don't have anywhere to keep them. The toys are all in clear plastic boxes so I need more grown up storage that I can reuse. I might suggest that he helps to edit them.

acornsandnuts Sat 26-May-18 07:31:03

I still have their Lego and board games and they’re 16 and 20

Hassled Sat 26-May-18 07:38:31

There will be a point at which he's embarrassed by toys - or at least by friends coming round and seeing toys. With my DC at least there was a sort of natural ending to toys - other than the favourite stuffed toys, which still remain. I was the one with the emotional issues about it - I've saved a ridiculous amount for the non-existent grandchildren because I couldn't bear to part with it.

Prusik Sat 26-May-18 07:41:22

I've just taken some of my childhood toys down from the loft. The Duplo is a hit. Next it'll be the brio. I'm so glad mum kept my toys

ProfYaffle Sat 26-May-18 07:43:34

Agree it's a gradual process, led by the dc. Mine are 14 and 11 now. dd1 has a few precious things, dd2 much pared back but still has lots of stuffed animals. Shopkins went a few months ago, playmobil and sylvanians are in cupboards but not actually made it out of the door yet!

unlimiteddilutingjuice Sat 26-May-18 07:47:52

I agree with teenplustwo. You need a "limbo cupboard" where things go if they aren't played with. Leave for 3 months and take the the charity shop if no one asks for them.

DinosApple Sat 26-May-18 08:18:07

Mine are 7&8 Squodge and I know exactly what you mean.

I'm eyeing up the play kitchen and food, dolls high chair and one of two dolls prams. We really need the space. And DH has definite hoarding tendancies.

I will keep the Sylvanian families, Barbie's and clothes, Lego, marble run and board games.

I wish I had space for a limbo cupboard. grin

WhiteFreesias Sun 27-May-18 13:05:07

Limbo cupboard is a good idea although it will be plastic boxes. In get him to help me sort them into categories: broken/throw away, limbo play with and a very small keep box for the loft. flowers

FrouFrouBerlioz Sun 27-May-18 13:12:39

We were moving house last year so I sent the hobbyhorse, dolls house and Sylvanian families to the charity shop. DD insisted I kept the Sylvanian hedgehogs and squirrels though. She is 22.

ErrolTheDragon Sun 27-May-18 13:19:33

* I still have their Lego and board games and they’re 16 and 20*

I should think so! DD had some of her Lego down from the loft to try out a few structures ahead of starting uni ... the 'icebreaker' on her MEng involved designing and building Lego devices. and her idea of partying (that she admits to) seem to be board games with a bit of gingrin

GeekyBlinders Sun 27-May-18 13:29:19

Seconding and thirding the previous posters who’ve suggested storing the “timeless” toys like Lego and brio and playmobil in the loft/garage for when your children have children. Quite a bit of my DPs Lego and Star Wars figures ahve come out for when DS visits the grandparents, and I remember playing with my mum’s trolls, farm and zoo animals and her Sindy dolls when I was little.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: