Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Weird deeds and covenants

(78 Posts)
Uniquack Fri 18-May-18 19:08:47

I'd really like to hear some of the weird covenants people have on their deeds. Some of them are quite weird and wonderful.

As for me, my house had two parking spaces. According to the deeds, my NDN owned the parking space right in front of my front door. The only way they would lose the rights over the space was if I decided to resurface the parking area and they refused to pay half - then it would become mine.

Please share grin.

FuzzyCustard Fri 18-May-18 19:19:12

In my last house I wasn't allowed to keep pigs or to have a fairground carousel. (Victorian property if that makes any difference).
Current rural newish house - no chickens.

Phase84 Fri 18-May-18 19:20:58

No pigs, poultry or pigeons in ours....

Moltenpink Fri 18-May-18 19:22:39

My last house was built in 1890. I had to ask a sheep farmer’s permission to make any changes to my bay window.

Iwantacampervan Fri 18-May-18 19:22:44

Our houses were built in the 1960s on land that once belonged to the local estate (many years before) - we have to pay for the upkeep of the chapel if the estate runs out of money.
Otherwise no fences in front garden or caravans (far more boring).

EssentialHummus Fri 18-May-18 19:23:10

Not allowed to brew alcohol here winegin

Mymycherrypie Fri 18-May-18 19:24:39

We have our neighbour the right to access our garden on the condition he gives us the right to access our front door

WeAreGerbil Fri 18-May-18 19:26:34

My servants weren't allowed to hang washing out of my front windows!

AwkwardSquad Fri 18-May-18 19:27:09

Not allowed to sell fried fish from the premises.

Uniquack Fri 18-May-18 19:36:07

These are so funny grin. Keep them coming!

@FuzzyCustard - I bet that really gets you down - who doesn't like a nice fairground carousel in their back garden grin.

Blueroses99 Fri 18-May-18 19:39:31

Not allowed to turn my property into a ‘bottle shop’ or commercial laundry. (Why those specifically?!) Not allowed to have any sleeping accommodation in the front garden.

stayhomeclub Fri 18-May-18 19:41:46

Not allowed pigs or chickens.

The garden must be lawned apart from flower beds of a specified width.

RumAppleGinger Fri 18-May-18 19:44:53

I looked at my deeds recently as I want to change the colour of the woodwork and doors. I am allowed to do that but am not allowed bees or a speedboat.

MalcolmsBrokenWalrusMoneybox Fri 18-May-18 19:51:19

No bees AND no speedboat?! Time to move, Rum.

SingleMinded Fri 18-May-18 19:52:16

I am not allowed to mine clay tiles. Gutted.

nomoremrsniceguy Fri 18-May-18 19:55:19

I'm not allowed to hang washing in the front garden. Lowers the tone I imagine.

Uniquack Fri 18-May-18 19:58:08

I am not allowed to mine clay tiles. Gutted.

😂😂😂😂

GummyGoddess Fri 18-May-18 19:59:53

No parking in the road, no caravans, no white vans. Not allowed to alter the appearance of the outside of the house in anyway either, not that it's stopped anybody from doing so.

Spam88 Fri 18-May-18 20:01:45

I'm not allowed to grow vegetables in my front garden.

mineofuselessinformation Fri 18-May-18 20:06:41

No satellite dishes on the front of the house, no commercial vehicles and no parking on the road....
Most people ignore one or several.

SurfnTerfFantasticmissfoxy Fri 18-May-18 20:07:06

I am not permitted to disturb the graves of generations of pet dogs belonging to the owners of the original estate . Perfectly understandable - except no one thought to record where it actually IS and there are no grave markers or anything. Every time I plant tatties I'm convinced I'm going to unearth Fido 😏

Imchlibob Fri 18-May-18 20:09:30

I am not allowed to dig a mine for minerals or physical resources of any kind. I only own the topsoil and foundations and stuff above ground. Anything deeper than that I may not touch.

CountFosco Fri 18-May-18 20:13:40

We're not allowed to run a fish and chip shop from this property.

kelper Fri 18-May-18 20:16:56

My mum lives in a converted Wesleyan Chapel, she's not allowed to gamble, make alcohol or hold boxing fights in the house!

graysor Fri 18-May-18 20:21:02

No campervans to be parked on the front drive was one at my parents’ old house

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: