Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Applying for a job without all the listed experience

(20 Posts)
feral Wed 16-May-18 19:32:00

I've seen a school job I want to apply for.

Thing is it asks for school office experience and SIMS experience - I don't have either.

Would I be wasting my time applying?

Believeitornot Wed 16-May-18 19:36:18

Worst that happens is that they say no....

blaaake Wed 16-May-18 19:36:58

Go for it. Might not get many applicants.

PurpleDaisies Wed 16-May-18 19:37:52

What role is it?

lookingforbutterflies Wed 16-May-18 19:38:11

No, definitely apply. I'm a senior leader in a school and if you have most of the qualities in the person spec, go for it.

Applications for admin jobs last time we recruited (part time, school hours) were in the main, terrible and had less than 10! We recruited from outside of education so the person didn't have SIMS experience.

feral Wed 16-May-18 20:01:45

It's an admin office job. I do have all the other skills.

I'd love it!

It suggests going for a visit so I guess I'd better do that first?

TroubledLichen Wed 16-May-18 20:05:19

I read somewhere that men are very likely to apply for a job when they meet most but not all of the spec but women almost never apply unless they can tick every single box. So I say do it and definitely apply! If it’s a school job then they are often quite competitive but you never know. Worst case scenario is you don’t hear back.

Singlenotsingle Wed 16-May-18 20:08:30

Men tend to have more self confidence than women and are quite prepared to blag it. Try. What have you got to lose?

C0untDucku1a Wed 16-May-18 20:09:57

Fake it til you make it. Sims isnt complicated.

icklekid Wed 16-May-18 20:10:22

You can definitely learn how to use sims and if you have experience using other database software explain your it literate and confident you would be able to pick it up quickly. Our office staff have been working there for 20+ years and some of them only know very basic features. I wouldn't let it stop you!

BrieAndChilli Wed 16-May-18 20:10:23

I went for a temp job that desired Sage experience. The agency put me forward as I had other skills/experience. Fast forward a few months, I easily picked up the sage knowledge I needed and they have asked me to become permenant!

lookingforbutterflies Wed 16-May-18 20:18:08

Go for a visit and be likeable! Ask lots of questions and (genuinely) compliment the school.

feral Wed 16-May-18 20:25:28

Food advice thank you.

I will go for it and sell myself as best I can smile

feral Wed 16-May-18 20:30:25

Good advice obviously or good.

(Note to self to triple spell check application!)

feral Wed 16-May-18 20:30:35

Argh

Surfingwhippet Wed 16-May-18 20:38:42

Sims isn't complicated. The hardest bit is creating your own reports and even that isn't that bad

Passportto Wed 16-May-18 20:38:54

Schools can be odd over this. If it's a standard primary school office job and you're reasonably competent with a computer you'll learn everything you need to know about SIMS in an afternoon and yet (often because the leadership don't understand it) schools ask for SIMS experience like it's a big deal.

If you'll be responsible for producing performance data in a secondary, it's a bit more complex.

IME school admin jobs get 100s of applicants so the shortlisting can be very harsh just to whittle it down to a manageable number. That said, no-one who doesn't already work in a school will have the required experience so unless it's better paid than other comparable jobs in the area, why would those with the experience apply unless they're desperate to get away from their current job? (a warning sign IMO).

So, I'd do an excellent application detailing all the ways you do meet the criteria, any work or volunteering you have done with children, demonstrate an understanding of safeguarding (Google) and details of all the software systems you have used and how quickly you've picked them up, but most of all get your application checked and double checked for spelling and grammatical errors.

Often when faced with 100s of applications, the smallest error can result in the no pile, simply because you have to use something to differentiate between all the "OK" applications. Also, you'd be amazed just how poor lots of applications are. Make sure yours isn't one of them.

Oh yes and absolutely do visit. Again schools are odd like this, when else do you get the opportunity to visit before application? But lots of schools won't consider shortlisting someone who hasn't taken the time to visit. They want to believe you want to work at their school, not that you're looking for any job that fits in with your DC. Go well briefed on any special circumstances or recent achievements for their school.

Gook luck

feral Wed 16-May-18 22:03:51

Passportto, thank you.

The job is in a primary.

I understand school jobs are in demand but I'm not necessarily looking for a job that fits in with DC, I already have that. It's more I'm looking for something that doesn't hire me rigid like my current job where I'm on my own most of the time. (I thought I'd like that but it's so lonely!)

OK deep breath, I can do it smile

lookingforbutterflies Wed 16-May-18 22:12:13

Good luck OP!

feral Mon 21-May-18 23:08:55

I applied for the job but didn't get an interview.

Which is probably as well as I was on salary calculator today and the monthly take home was nearly £1k less than my current salary as am on more hours and about £3 an hour higher rate. I had decided to worry about that if offered the job. It's moot now!

The only thing I don't have is Sims and experience in a school which I will never have if I never get a job in one.

It still smarts though, getting a rejection, 😩

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: