Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What horror films for 10 year old?

(168 Posts)
hattiesmumm Wed 16-May-18 16:17:04

Me and my dc have started watching a film together when youngest is in bed. They absolutely love horror films, but nothing has scared them yet! They are after the scare 🤦🏻‍♀️🙈 we’ve watched Annabelle, IT and the others. The others was rubbish and we turned it off near the end 🙈.

Please don’t judge.

Wolfiefan Wed 16-May-18 16:18:18

Erm none. Choose something appropriate for a 10 year old.

Atalune Wed 16-May-18 16:20:23

Please don’t be such an idiot!

You might think- oh he’s fine nothing phases him, then boom a weird noise in the night triggers endless crappy nights sleep and anxiety for everyone.

His brain is still so underdeveloped. Please don’t fill it with shit.

PiggeryPorcombe Wed 16-May-18 16:20:23

hmm

PsychoPumpkin Wed 16-May-18 16:21:07

Seriously?!

WhatisaNarwhal Wed 16-May-18 16:22:20

You know that exposing children to inappropriate media is a safeguarding/social services matter don’t you....

Happyandshiney Wed 16-May-18 16:23:30

Er, no horror films for ten year olds and I’m absolutely going to judge.

Both IT and Annabelle are rated 15. Ten year olds don’t need that stuff in their heads.

WizardOfToss Wed 16-May-18 16:24:15

Oh please. As if.

WindyBee Wed 16-May-18 16:24:41

Absolute pisstaker.

rubyroot Wed 16-May-18 16:24:48

I'm thinking this is some sot of joke- trolling?

TheCrowFromBelow Wed 16-May-18 16:25:04

Horror films are 15 for a reason.

There are plenty of decent films that are more age appropriate.
Goosebumps was great.

thetriangleisarealinstrument Wed 16-May-18 16:25:20

I found 'Sphere' really scary at that age... its a sci fi and i think its only a 12 or a pg...

I loved horror films at that age too!
id go for films that have scares but no 'adult' themes... other than theatrical death and gore which is not too realistic. So maybe something like 'Mama' which is scary and about a ghost but doesnt have any adult themes beyond that... also quite exaggerated.
'The Woman In Black' is quite scary... but similar to 'The Others' (which I actually find terrifying just because of the concept of it!)

'The Haunting' is only a 12 I think... its not great but has some jumps in.
'Insidious' would probably be okay for a child who likes horror to watch as its quite ott and theatrical... not realistic or harrowing psychologically.

thetriangleisarealinstrument Wed 16-May-18 16:29:23

and many of these films which are a 15 in the UK are rated pg13 in america..... I honestly think it depends on the child as to what its okay for them to watch. Obviously with horror you do have to be very careful and vet the films before hand over their themes.
There are many horror films which are only rated a 12 in the uk
The Others is one of them so I dont really know why people are having a massive go at the OP here....?

WizardOfToss Wed 16-May-18 16:31:23

Gordon Bennett, don’t be engaging with it!

Grobagsforever Wed 16-May-18 16:32:41

Troll

That1950sMum Wed 16-May-18 16:33:17

Not even a good effort.

I'm not biting.

IHaveBrilloHair Wed 16-May-18 16:34:36

Oh, I was going to suggest a couple of films but perhaps it is not a good ideaconfused

recklessruby Wed 16-May-18 16:36:05

None. Unless you want to sleep with the lights on and in a chair in their room for years.
If this is fake how about the exorcism of Emily rose or the exorcist? I mean that in a joke way of course shock

thetriangleisarealinstrument Wed 16-May-18 16:36:36

wizardoftoss the op could certainly be genuine... some kids do like to be scared and the op is asking for advice over more age appropriate scary films. Think thats fair enough.
I remember watching the Exorcist at a sleepover at that age and thinking it was amazing. So I can imagine a 10 year old thinking horror films are great.

My advice about themes stands though because some horror films rely on themes which no child should be subjected to in order to be scary. A bit of jumping out on people, ghosts and some over the top blood is fine... but you do need to vet for twisted concepts because you wont automatically be able to tell from the rating.
Personally I think the concept of 'The Others' is far more terrifying than 'Annabelle' which is just ridiculous nonsense about a haunted doll.

formerbabe Wed 16-May-18 16:38:46

Have you watched Creeped Out on CBBC op? My ten year old really enjoys it. No way would I allow him to watch actual horror films.

MiddleClassProblem Wed 16-May-18 16:40:00

Jaws was only bumped to 12 from PG a few years ago.

Arachnophobia is a pg.

Then you have made for kids horror Mobster House (they will be to old for).

There are horror films out there that are lower rating but keep in mind they might not let on when the are actually scared and be putting on a bit of a front.

IHaveBrilloHair Wed 16-May-18 16:43:12

When Dd was young, there was a show on CITV called, "Scary Sleepover".
There were quite creepy things in "Raven", on CBBC too.
Dd adored them, she loved being scared, in an appropriate way of course, she's been watching Dr who since she was about 3.
Some children enjoy it.

MedicinalGin Wed 16-May-18 16:43:32

You want to willingly scare your kid? So they perhaps can’t sleep and keep you up at night?

Um, whatevs.

(Rod for own back, much?!)

IHaveBrilloHair Wed 16-May-18 16:46:14

The films I was going to suggest were Jaws and Gremlins, Arachnophobia a good one too, and Jurassic Park.

No one's saying let them loose to watch Saw. (Which btw is v clever, the first one and Dd loved it but we watched it together recently and she's almost 17 now)

thetriangleisarealinstrument Wed 16-May-18 16:47:51

Poltergeist is another good one... plenty of jump scares and ott thrills but no real adult themes.
The Birds.
The Mummy.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: