Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Why do people put so many kisses on their messages?

(75 Posts)
PintOfMineralWater Wed 16-May-18 01:47:23

Text conversation with a friend:

Me: Hey, where do you want to meet today?
Her: Park? xx
Me: OK sounds good, what time?
Her: after baby's nap so 2pm? xxxx
Her: will meet you by the swings. xxx
Me: Great, see you then.
Her: OK xxx
Her: will text if I'm nap time goes over xxxx

Before someone says it (because it's MN) I'm not angry, or offended, and yes I do have other things to worry about! But just wondering ... why? Is it a reflex thing? And to people who do it: do I look stand-offish for not putting xxx at the end of all my replies?!

EmpressOfSpartacus Wed 16-May-18 02:13:19

I only do xx for family & the odd really close friend. I've noticed some people even doing it on MN nowadays, which always looks a bit weird.

Leopoldstotch Wed 16-May-18 02:16:35

I had an ex like that and it drove me insane. Told him I'd rather not put kisses at the end of every message and received an essay about how hurt he was 🙄 I don't get it either, I think for most It's a reflex

Leopoldstotch Wed 16-May-18 02:17:33

Also I agree that it looks odd when people put kisses on their posts on here

ChickenOrEgg6 Wed 16-May-18 02:20:55

I did, but that's because I only ever text my now ex h and my mum. When my mum passed I only texted my (now ex) h.
So I could easily have done this without even realising, but it would've been odd for me to be texting you in the first place tbh!
I think it's just a habit.

Topseyt Wed 16-May-18 02:29:21

I've never had anyone do it, that I can think of. I don't do it either and find it weird, especially if I see it on here.

vampirethriller Wed 16-May-18 06:48:50

My sisters never put kisses but my brothers will put 2-3 in texts to me. Never thought much about it. Usually I send what I've been sent! Friends I'll put one. Ex and I still talk every day and he puts one. I've almost put them on Facebook before stopping myself. Force of habit

cheesecheesecheeseplease Wed 16-May-18 06:56:07

Dunno huny xxxx

Purplerunner Wed 16-May-18 06:58:58

cheese grin

ScreamingValenta Wed 16-May-18 07:01:07

It's very odd. Perhaps people think it gives an endearing quality to their texts; but it's meaningless.

Rainboho Wed 16-May-18 07:05:36

I use kisses as a ‘this conversation is now over, see ya!’ signal, or my DM would text me constantly!

EmpressOfSpartacus Wed 16-May-18 07:22:04

Some people have xx in their usernames too. I'm never sure whether it's kisses or chromosomes.

MadMags Wed 16-May-18 07:31:33

I do think it’s gotten to the stage where not putting xx at the end of your text looks cold.

I don’t care though!

It doesn’t bother me too much but the people who do it on here should be hung, drawn, and quartered for it!

Zoflorabore Wed 16-May-18 07:34:25

I have a friend who is a bit odd who told me when she was drunk that if she "only" puts one kiss at the end of text messages then she is pissed off with you, otherwise it's 2 grin

Some people actually think these things through in detail.

Boooommm Wed 16-May-18 07:35:53

I do to some friends. None of my family do. I am still a bit mortified because by mistake I did an X at the end of a work email yesterday.
I do with friends out of habit and because I want it to sound friendly

MissWilmottsGhost Wed 16-May-18 07:35:54

Like rain I use them at the end of the conversation.

Perhaps your friend is hinting that she is busy and to stop texting wink

xx

Sillybilly1234 Wed 16-May-18 07:40:31

My daughter explained that in youth speak certain numbers mean different things.

She got a message from someone who didn't use a x and she burst into tears.

She was mystified why I couldn't see why it was such a big deal.

I don't use them so I guess I am a cold person. I'm not going to change now.

SprayingMonsters Wed 16-May-18 07:42:13

I think it is a habit

Xxx

PintOfMineralWater Wed 16-May-18 07:43:44

I only ever put them on a birthday card or something, but I seem to be in a minority these days!

And yy to using them on MN. I assume the poster is drunk or has lost their way from netmums.

Lweji Wed 16-May-18 07:44:37

I'm never sure whether it's kisses or chromosomes.

grin That's the kind of thing I'd wonder about.

FleurDelacoeur Wed 16-May-18 07:47:48

Habit. Some people have fallen into the habit of doing it on every text /email and can't get out of the habit of doing it.

DH gets texts from his PA with xxx on the end as she always does it. Then gets mortified because she's unprofessional and you don't add xxx on the end of a text to your boss. But she's been putting xxx on texts to her husband/kids for 10 years and just can't break the habit.

LorelaiVictoriaGilmore Wed 16-May-18 07:52:01

Everyone else does it... so now it looks unfriendly if you don't reciprocate. I secretly hate it.

Scribblegirl Wed 16-May-18 07:54:09

I put kisses on the end for two reasons -

1. End of conversation - in instant messenger they can indicate ‘right, that’s sorted, I’m closing WhatsApp now’

2. If I’m consoling or being very loving. Eg
Me: How’s it going lovely?
Her: Pretty shit, I had a call from X today
Me: oh dear - what does he want?
Her: Courtsey call to tell me he’s seeing someone else
Me: Oh honey, I’m so sorry sad xxx
Her: Yeah, pretty shit
Me: Cocktails on Friday?
Her: yes please!

BusterGonad Wed 16-May-18 07:55:54

I always do X for my (girl) friends but not to people I don't really know well or to my husbands mates.

SpectacularAardvark Wed 16-May-18 08:00:03

My method is to just mirror what the other person does, eg. they do two xx's, I do two back. If I have to instigate communication, I don't do one and see what happens, it's quite interesting.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: