Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What's your genius holiday abroad tips?

(156 Posts)
BarbraDear Tue 15-May-18 19:09:06

Going to Tenerife in June and have started to think I should be making lists soon for packing etc. My one 'can't do without' is an extension lead and just the one travel plug. Saves murder over who gets to plug their crap in.

Have also read ants don't like crossing chalk lines so I am going to take some chalk too to try it out as there's usually a few little buggers after the food.

Anyone got anything useful?

MrsHathaway Tue 15-May-18 19:17:53

DH takes an extension lead which will accommodate four UK plugs but has a direct <foreign> plug to go into the wall. Safer!

Don't pack any one person's stuff in one case when flying if you can avoid it. Spread stuff across cases so you have a few pairs of pants each in each case, etc. If you can carry prescription medication in hand luggage, do (also a toothbrush and change of clothes if possible, at least underwear).

Magic painting books are a miracle for small children.

fruitbrewhaha Tue 15-May-18 19:20:56

It's going to be jolly hot in June.
Plenty of suncream, much cheaper to buy here in the UK.

acornsandnuts Tue 15-May-18 19:22:33

Photograph your passports and any other paper documents.

Notamorningperson84 Tue 15-May-18 19:35:43

My mam takes a travel kettle and tea bags on even the shortest breaks.

I love packing cubes, there's not always much space to put your stuff so it keeps things organised while you're there.

Instead of taking bottles of makeup remover and cotton wool, I soak as many cotton pads as I'll need and put then in a ziplock bag. Takes up less space and a leak won't stain everything.

retainertrainer Tue 15-May-18 19:45:41

Not-that nail polish remover is ingenious,you’ve saved me a trip to boots to buy pre-soaked pads.

RedPandaMama Tue 15-May-18 19:46:34

@Notamorningperson84 the pre-soaking cotton pads, now THAT is genius.

I second packing cubes, particularly if you have to pack light or pack using a backpack, makes things so much easier to find!

I go through phases of liking a full face of makeup or a very natural 'look', if I'm wanting to take foundation I squirt it into a small pot about the size of one of those 10g jam jars, got it from a travel set from Primark and it's really useful. Only take the essential makeup brushes as they take up masses of space. Put shampoo and conditioner into reusable travel bottles (also Primark), much cheaper than taking those tiny travel bottles that are £1-£2 and only have a couple of uses in them and are hugely marked up.

Don't bother with two many shoes. A pair of comfortable shoes for walking, flip flops, and one pair of evening sandals.

If you're having days around the pool you'll mostly be in swimwear anyway so don't bother taking an outfit for each day, rewear a kaftan or cover up and take a couple of pairs of shorts and t-shirts.

NeedForBlossom Tue 15-May-18 19:47:07

If you want to take chocolate for the plane journey, Minstrels won't melt.

BarbraDear Tue 15-May-18 19:54:01

Will definitely photograph everything and there's not a hope in hell I'd wait til we got there to buy suncream. I actually can't believe how expensive it is on holiday to get the basics if you forget something.

Fluffyears Tue 15-May-18 19:55:40

Max factor face cloths are great. You add water to them and then you can scrub off all the sweat and suncream. They are dry and light so go really easy to pack. I take a solid shampoo bar from lush and it doubles as detergent to wash clothes. Lighter and smaller than shampoo and really lasts. Photograph documents then send them to your e-mail so you can access them easily if phone or camera is stolen. If you are carrying cash on you split it between pockets and people that way if someone gets pickpocketed they won’t take all your available cash.

Notamorningperson84 Tue 15-May-18 19:58:36

I friend of mine pays to get all of her families clothes to be washed and ironed on the last full day of the trip. Then it's just one wash for the stuff they wear on the last day and home. Everything else gets put straight away.

QueenOfMyWorld Tue 15-May-18 20:00:07

Use dental floss for an impromptu washing line,sellotape your liquids shut then do the same on Way home,pack clothes inside out so if something does spill might not see it when on

Notamorningperson84 Tue 15-May-18 20:03:17

This ones more for city trips or backpacking but Google maps has the feature where you can save an area to use offline. Great for directions when you don't have wifi/data.

I mark bars and restaurants which have good reviews on the map. It saves time deciding where to eat and there's less chance of ending up disappointed.

Macarena1990 Tue 15-May-18 20:12:39

I always spread mix our clothes up across the cases and take a small hand luggage case with enough clothes for all of us for a couple of days just in case the main luggage doesn't arrive.

Put all your hand luggage liquids into clear plastic bags beforehand to save the hectic sorting out as you go through security.

Take socks for the flight - kids will never sleep with cold feet!

We saw a family with a crawling age baby set up a travel cot next to their sun loungers once. Brilliant make shift play pen with a few toys!

Macarena1990 Tue 15-May-18 20:14:04

oh and keep all buckets, spades, mini airers, pool floats and travel plugs in your case when you have unpacked at home. They all get lost otherwise!

NeverTalksToStrangers Tue 15-May-18 20:19:55

If you have going kids who like squash take some of those small squirty packs. Squash doesn't seem to be a thing in a lot of foreign countries (France especially) and there's only so much pure fruit juice you can take.

MaybeDoctor Tue 15-May-18 20:21:39

I have a clear plastic wash-case and mostly keep it ready stocked with small bottles of my key toiletries. Also just so much easier to see at a glance what you have with you...and what you don't!

Invisimamma Tue 15-May-18 20:23:56

So many good ideas here, especially the extension cable one.

BarbraDear Tue 15-May-18 20:24:32

*NeverTalksToStrangers
If you have going kids who like squash take some of those small squirty packs. Squash doesn't seem to be a thing in a lot of foreign countries (France especially) and there's only so much pure fruit juice you can take.*

Yes! I can't believe how hard it is to get in some places so we did start taking it with us as DD loves her squash. It's so handy for taking in your bag when eating out too.

ihearttea Tue 15-May-18 20:25:36

Take talc to the beach, dust it over wet sandy feet and the sand just falls off.

Almostthere15 Tue 15-May-18 20:26:12

I would add a plug in anti insect spray. It does help in the room and is usually a euro plug anyway.

Pack a couple of surprises in the children's hand luggage to keep them occupied at the airport.

Rather than travel toiletries I tend to buy things that every family member can use (like shared shower gel so no floral scents etc) and they get used up while we're there. The exception is I look in the pound shop for sachets of shampoo and conditioner, you can get about 24 four a pound and they are so good for packing.

If you have case space I also pick up beach toys in the pound shop because they are so much cheaper than getting stung at the hotel gift shop and they are ready to go.

Check on whether you need towels at your hotel. If you don't it saves loads of space.

Take a pack of pegs, so handy for drying clothes on the balcony without them disappearing.

I pack a mini first aid kit with painkillers, antiseptic, plasters/dressings, antihistamines, rehydration salts and Imodium. My friends always laugh at me but then are hugely grateful, as it's horrid needing to go to the pharmacy when/If you're unwell.

RomaineCalm Tue 15-May-18 21:49:13

Instead of an extension lead we take a couple of these chargers - saves taking all the plugs with us and just needs one travel adapter.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01FI2PPO0/ref=ascdff_B01FI2PPO052527833/?tag=googshopuk-21&creative=22110&creativeASIN=B01FI2PPO0&linkCode=df0&hvadid=205228866603&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11788330317472714032&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007251&hvtargid=pla-332012935582&th=1&psc=1

Depending on the age of your DC a roll of black bin bags and some masking tape is worth packing to make a DIY blackout blind for the bedroom.

I've also seen a lot of people recently with thermal cups by the pool - ideal for keeping cold drinks cold for longer. Big sunbed pegs are good for clipping your towels onto the loungers if it's windy.

RomaineCalm Tue 15-May-18 21:51:59

Not sure if it's a genius idea but we always pay for the fast-track at our (notoriously slow and busy) airport. It's the best £12 I spend all week to avoid the queues at security.

NumbersLetters Tue 15-May-18 21:55:31

Barbra and Never - I have one word for you: Teissiere. www.teisseire.fr/

Frax Tue 15-May-18 21:58:04

I used to take extension leads with foreign plug but now that chargers are universal I don't bother. Most decent hotels have usb sockets and hairdryers so adapters less needed.
My tip when taking small children on a beach is to take an old large double flat sheet to use as a beach mat.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: