Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Supporting parents through SATs week thread

(96 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

ineedamoreadultieradult Mon 14-May-18 16:58:24

I haven't seen one yet so I've started one myself. I don't know about others experience but my child and the kids in his class seem to be coping very well. HIs friends called on him this morning and they walked to school by themselves as normal (although they did have to get there earlier than usual to ensure no one was late but they were bribed into doing this with free breakfast at school) Now they have all gone out to play advising me that it was easier than they thought and wasn't scary at all. And to think I've been worrying about them all day.

Starlight2345 Mon 14-May-18 17:03:01

From what my son has said he hasn't done well.

He went to breakfast club too.

I just said thats that one done then forget about it and move on to next one.

I haven't worried about him as I am not that bothered about his results. I just want him in the right frame of mind.

ineedamoreadultieradult Mon 14-May-18 17:05:44

Starlight I wasn't worrying about the results just more that they weren't getting themselves overly worked up about it. Whatever will be will be regards the results as far as I'm concerned.

Branleuse Mon 14-May-18 17:32:25

ive told my son to try his best, but im not stressed by it and I dont want him to be stressed by it. It wont affect anything about his future

Starlight2345 Mon 14-May-18 18:00:47

Yes for me managing the stress seems to be the most difficult part for them .

Rowgtfc72 Mon 14-May-18 18:05:00

Breakfast club for dd here too. She said today wasnt too bad but weve had lots of tears over the past few weeks. Shes expected to get greater depth but for some reason the school are panicking and have hauled these children in for extra lunchtime lessons. She now thinks she's stupid. Bloody schoolangry

PoptartPoptart Mon 14-May-18 18:15:12

Our school does a SATS breakfast for all the year 6 kids. It runs all this week.
It’s free, and they get to come in early (a clever way to ensure they arrive on time!) and get served breakfast by the TA’s.
They have a variety of fruit, yoghurts, cereals, toast, bagels and a different ‘treat’ each day (one day it will be mini muffins or mini donuts, or crepes)
It works really well and seems to relax them having breakfast with their friends.

Starlight2345 Mon 14-May-18 18:28:12

wow your breakfast sounds great.. ours had toast and cornflakes..

Apparently my DS put sugar on his toast as there was no jam blush

ineedamoreadultieradult Mon 14-May-18 18:50:28

DS had chocolate pancakes with honey and a hot chocolate with marshmallows. I'm not sure the healthy eating people would approve.

KathyBeale Mon 14-May-18 18:51:53

Do we get the results or just their secondary schools?

theduchessstill Mon 14-May-18 19:05:30

Oh dear, D's just got toast- he'll be feeling deprived if he sees this. He's the kind of oddball who enjoys exams etc but he said everyone was calm and ok.

Row - I'd save your ire for the various governments who have created this system of ranking schools against each other rather than the school itself. . The teachers won't be relishing panicking over results and thrilled to be losing their lunchtimes. Teachers will feel for the kids too.

PoptartPoptart Mon 14-May-18 19:09:36

Primary school will get the results, as will parents

BossWitch Mon 14-May-18 19:16:35

We get them in secondary too - I know the SATs scores of all my year 7.

Titsywoo Mon 14-May-18 19:19:34

I think the results come out in July usually

ICanTuckMyBoobsInMyPockets Mon 14-May-18 19:23:37

DS is in year and doing them this week.

The school haven't told any of the children, including Y6 that they're doing exams or tests. Just an important price of work to "show off your best work"

They haven't mentioned the word SATS and they specifically asked parents several times not to tell the kids, or to study, or anything. Just carry on as normal.

So far it's great, no stress. They haven't a clue and there's no pressure on them at all.

We'll see the proof of the pudding when results come out!

TattyFrench Mon 14-May-18 19:28:06

BoobsInMyPockets that's a great approach, DS's school have been quite laid back with no pressure. They dealt with Y2 SATs like your school, I didn't even know DC had done them!

theveryhighlife Mon 14-May-18 19:32:10

My daughter was a bit up and down mood wise over the weekend, however said she wasn't worried the exams.
Today's exam seemed to go well for her and she seems in a much better mood.

MelanieSmooter Mon 14-May-18 19:38:16

DS was horrendous this weekend! He’s definitely been stressed, but he said it wasn’t too bad at all in the end. Hopefully that’ll settle him for the others!

TheCrowFromBelow Mon 14-May-18 19:40:51

DS hasn’t even mentioned it and I forgot blush
I don’t think we got DS1’s results. He sat them 2 years ago, has something changed or is it at the school’s discretion?

Twofishfingers Mon 14-May-18 19:41:43

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Elementtree Mon 14-May-18 19:43:28

Ds1 says the tests today we're easier than expected and much easier than the revision.

There's no breakfast club here but they have been filling them up and they had an extra twenty minutes of dinnertime. Their homework is not to have an accident, especially with their writing arm. hmm grin

Elementtree Mon 14-May-18 19:44:18

I honestly wrote were, I just don't know what this phone is playing at.

buckleten Mon 14-May-18 19:54:45

My daughter came home in a great mood, she said today was much easier than she had expected, and they were all allowed to take sweets and cakes in to share!

TheNumberfaker Mon 14-May-18 20:01:55

Please don't mention actual content online. Some children may not have sat the exam yet due to illness.

PoptartPoptart Mon 14-May-18 20:21:34

The tests have to all be sat on the same day nationwide, so all schools will do SPAG today, tomorrow is reading comprehension, Wednesday is arithmetic and maths reasoning paper 2 and Thursday is maths reasoning paper 3.
Children who are ill should not sit them on another day (or if they do I don’t think their results will count in the school league table) due to possible cheating.
We had a child today who was poorly - she just came in for the test (and she sat in isolation with just one member of staff as she was contagious) and then went home straight afterwards.
I’ve known a member of senior management to go to a child’s house in the past, so they could sit the test on the correct day.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: