Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

National Trust Membership

(34 Posts)
clairethewitch70 Thu 10-May-18 11:16:47

I was given membership as a gift. Can anyone recommend good sites to visit. We are located South Wales but have a motorhome so can travel. Especially looking for Somerset, West Midlands area, but willing to travel to a interesting place.

We like gardens such as Colby Woodland Garden & smallish houses like Lytes Cary Manor. Also something unusual like windmills etc. I am interested in samplers, quilts, costumes, DH likes military memorabilia, and classic transport.

Thanks.

carrie74 Thu 10-May-18 11:20:45

The NT website will be able to give you best ideas, but we're in Bristol and tend to visit Tyntesfield (large gardens lots of walking), Montacute (house and long gallery fab - portraits loaned from Nat Gallery), Stourhead (gorgeous grounds and great pub on site), Barrington Court, Dyrham Park (long walks, deer, tulip festival in spring), Prior Park in Bath (lovely views). Outdoor space can be lovely too.

clairethewitch70 Thu 10-May-18 11:27:41

Thanks Carrie.
I have been to Montacute, I liked it but preferred Lytes Cary. Aiming for Tyntesfield. Thanks for the recommendations.

PotteringAlong Thu 10-May-18 11:30:12

Trek up to Northumberland!! Gibside, cragside and wallington are all excellent!,

FadedRed Thu 10-May-18 11:42:47

Staffordshire, Warwickshire and Derbyshire, lots of NT properties in relatively close proximity, lots of variety from Letocetum Roman Baths to the Birmingham Back to Backs, Tudor houses to Georgian mansions, vast estates like Shrugborough to the Kinver Rock Houses.
We have a Motorhome and NTmembership is brilliant for short breaks away, we also have English Heritage membership as well and enjoy the events.

clairethewitch70 Thu 10-May-18 22:56:02

pottering I have never been to Northumberland, it's on my list.

Faded I noticed the Kinver Rock Houses in the handbook, they look interesting

Thanks all

Anyone know if the NT have a costume collection in one of their properties?

EskSmith Thu 10-May-18 23:01:35

You'd love Gawthorpe Hall near Burnley. Fabulous textile collection smile

NannyR Thu 10-May-18 23:04:30

The lake district has lots of NT properties - I like Townend and Allan Banks, and there is also Beatrix Potters house, Hill top. Quite a few free car parks too if you have a membership card.

CocoaGin Thu 10-May-18 23:04:36

Our nearest NT is Croome Park in Worcestershire. It's very unspoiled, the grounds are lovely for a long wander around and there is always a quiet place no matter how busy it is. Fairly easy access too just off the M5.

TheIsland Thu 10-May-18 23:10:57

My favourites are Hanbury Hall (do the women in power tour), Wightwick Manor and Snowshill.

Definitely recommend Snowshill given what you’ve said you enjoy.

Bath has a great costume museum but not NY

springmachine Thu 10-May-18 23:14:02

Download the app.

It's brilliant as wherever you go itl show you whatever is closest or you can see what places are on route to a destination and use them as pot stops.

Much nicer than a motorway service station (if you don't need fuel)

Handy to give all info in once place in regards to opening times and facilities too

springmachine Thu 10-May-18 23:14:38

Also - you should get a handbook with your membership. Keep this in your motor home and you can refer to it by area if you lose signal on your phone

doleritedinosaur Thu 10-May-18 23:15:29

Croome has war things as it’s centred around one.

Croft Castle & Berrington Hall in West Midlands are all doing things around Suffrage at the moment.

Charlecote Park is gorgeous with deer too.

Powis Castle is utterly stunning & lovely walks.

Imchlibob Thu 10-May-18 23:18:29

Lacock Abbey is close enough for a day trip from South Wales but with a motor home available I would plan to spread it over a long weekend as there is so much there to do and see that a single day trip leaves you either missing out huge sections.

DontMakeMeShushYou Thu 10-May-18 23:22:02

Dunster Castle just outside Minehead is good and there's a working water mill (working on certain days) in the grounds so it sounds as though it would tick a couple of your boxes.

Also Nuffield Place in Oxfordshire would be worth a visit - relatively modest home (given his wealth) of William Morris, founder of Morris Motors.

puddleduckmummy Thu 10-May-18 23:26:55

Baddsley Ensor and Packwood House are both worth a visit in the Midlands

puddleduckmummy Thu 10-May-18 23:28:07

Sorry Baddsley Clinton not Baddsley Ensor (still a place but not NT!)

UrgentScurryfunge Thu 10-May-18 23:31:41

I swear half of Cornwall is NT although a lot of that is land and gardens rather than the more typical houses.

We use Tyntesfield as a services when going SW. It's the right side of Bristol. The DCs get an excellent leg stretch and energy burning session and the food is tasty and no dearer than Gordano wink

Els1e Thu 10-May-18 23:36:13

I love Tyntesfield, so would recommend a visit.

EyeDrops Thu 10-May-18 23:47:14

Cornwall is good, I remember Lanhydrock particularly.

Not Cornwall, but Kedleston Hall is breathtaking and has one of the most beautiful dresses I've ever seen on display.

Calke Abbey was owned at one time by hoarders and is absolutely fascinating.

The thing I love about NT membership is how you come across such gems - some places aren't so great, but that doesn't matter if you haven't paid to get in, and makes the great places that much more exciting when you do find them!

clairethewitch70 Thu 10-May-18 23:49:59

We have decided to go to Croome and Snowshill manor this weekend. Thanks for all the suggestions and I am looking forward to planning more trips.

Vole3 Fri 11-May-18 05:10:38

Erddig near Wrexham is lovely

BikeRunSki Fri 11-May-18 05:27:13

Climber Park and Calke Abbey in the midlands are great.

BikeRunSki Fri 11-May-18 11:10:39

Clumber, not climber!

Cedar03 Fri 11-May-18 11:27:30

Killerton in Devon has a costume collection. It was closed last year because they were doing work to house don't know if it is open again yet.

Stourhead is lovely - we've stopped off there on our way South West several times.

Coleton Fishacre near Dartmouth in Devon is also lovely.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: