Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

My 'male' rabbit has just given birth!

(520 Posts)
U2HasTheEdge Fri 04-May-18 17:42:42

Came home to find my 'male's' fur stacked in the corner and a wriggling nest.

Very shocked and nervous! I don't know how many there are. I have called the vet nurse and she said to leave her to it. Have taken the male out (he has balls, so def dad) and i'm now about to buy him a cage.

Has anyone gone through this before? I am a bit stressed by it all.

Girliefriendlikesflowers Fri 04-May-18 17:45:41

When we were kids we looked after two 'boy' rabbits, one then promptly gave birth!!

My advice is ignore the mum and leave her in peace as if they get stressed they can eat their babies!!

Girliefriendlikesflowers Fri 04-May-18 17:46:29

Oh and book your boy rabbit in to be neutered!

ProzacAndWine Fri 04-May-18 17:46:54

We had that with a "male" hamster once, but somehow seems more likely with a teeny thing like a hamster! Maybe have a quick read about rabbit babies, and just go with it? And post pictures when visible!

(We found homes to all the hamster babies, and hopefully all lived happily ever after...)

GoJohnnyGoGoGoGo Fri 04-May-18 17:48:35

My male hamster gave birth. Only a few days after we'd bought 'him' from the pet shop.

flumpybear Fri 04-May-18 17:48:42

Oooo the wonders of science, we had two girl guinea pigs - and just like we read in Jurassic Park, they made babies too!!! .... or perhaps lollipop actually had a lollipop shockwink

U2HasTheEdge Fri 04-May-18 17:51:14

Neutering is booked. I'm planning on reading lots. I just need to de-stress first. Hopefully it will all work out ok.

CallYourDadYoureInACult Fri 04-May-18 17:52:48

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

saucepot8 Fri 04-May-18 17:53:12

This happened to us too!

EscapistTendencies Fri 04-May-18 17:54:21

Definitely keep your male separate, females can get pregnant again only a few days after giving birth. Don't worry if you don't see her feeding regularly, kits only get fed once or twice a day and spend the rest of the time hidden. There's more health benefits for the female when it comes to neutering if you don't want them both done. Oh and make sure mum has lots of food available, especially as the kits grow. The kits can reach sexual maturity by 12 weeks so will need to be sexed and separated by then. But other than looking after mum and preventing any more pregnancies you don't have to do too much.

U2HasTheEdge Fri 04-May-18 17:56:36

I haven't seen her go near them but I see a lot of wriggling in the nest. I want to look to see how many there are and if they are all alive but I'm worried about disturbing them.

U2HasTheEdge Fri 04-May-18 17:57:12

[Grin] at trans rabbit

U2HasTheEdge Fri 04-May-18 17:58:36

Thank you for the advice. I'm a bit calmer now.

EscapistTendencies Fri 04-May-18 17:58:43

I think you'll be ok to take a quick peek OP, just don't handle them.

ijustwannadance Fri 04-May-18 18:05:16

Yep, same happened when I was young. Told both male.
As above, leave alone and get them sexed/split up before they are sexually mature themselves.

Baby rabbits are so damn cute though!

Mountainsoutofmolehills Fri 04-May-18 18:08:22

We had same story with guinea pigs. Don't fret. This is super!!!!!!! Think how popular you will be when people find out you have baby bunnies.

KakunaRattata Fri 04-May-18 18:11:49

We had the same, only our 'female' rabbit got his sister pregnant. I separated them the following day (it was late at night and dh was away so thought they'd be ok till the morning) but it was too late and she was pregnant again, the first 4 babies were fine but when she gave birth to the second lot who didn't survive she got aggressive and we had to take the babies away.

We need baby pics when the come out of the nest!

flissfloss65 Fri 04-May-18 18:11:57

This happened to my cousins rabbits. Some of the young escaped and burrowed in their garden. They eventually caught over twenty of them in the end.

Get him to the vet ASAP!

Sofabitch Fri 04-May-18 18:13:29

This happened to us as well. We seperated the rabbits as soon as we saw the babies. But 4 weeks later a second set popped out!

I'm never ever getting rabbits again.

LifeBeginsAtGin Fri 04-May-18 18:17:48

grin @Call

Maybe the she-rabbit just identified as man-rabbit the day you bought him her whichever it is

<waits for thread to be deleted for miss-rabbiting>

LifeBeginsAtGin Fri 04-May-18 18:18:44

Can we have a photo if you can manage it??

ScreamingValenta Fri 04-May-18 18:20:37

I have no experience of rabbits but would love to see pictures once they are old enough to be photographed without upsetting their mum.

AdoraBell Fri 04-May-18 18:21:45

Congratulations 😁 I remember when one of our two female hamsters had 10 little hamsters, parents were not impressed hmm

VladmirsPoutine Fri 04-May-18 18:23:43

Why is everyone saying "male" rabbits... am I missing something?

ScreamingValenta Fri 04-May-18 18:25:53

I suppose we should really be saying 'bucks' and 'does' Vladimirs grin.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: