Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

How To solve the obesity crisis thread 2

(20 Posts)
madein1995 Mon 30-Apr-18 23:25:32

Hi

Just to carry on From the old thread (I've posted the link below) which is now full.up. I read an article re childhood obesity and ads which I find interesting, I think the link between advertisements aimed at kids and obesity is a strong one.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/3233226-How-would-you-solve-the-obesity-crisis?pg=2

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/3233226-How-would-you-solve-the-obesity-crisis?pg=2

Lollypop27 Tue 01-May-18 00:16:47

I haven’t read the first thread so I apologise if this has been mentioned.

I feel it needs to be recognised more as a mental health issue. I had a medical at the drs last week (I am obese) and obviously my weight was mentioned. I explained to him that as a family we eat very healthy and we have the correct portion sizes - no one else in my house is overweight. I said that I binge on junk food when no one else is around. It’s my way of self harm is suppose. I was told to try and not do that anymore. Now I’m. It blaming the drs in anyway. It is all my fault/problem, but I do feel that if I was anorexic there would of been a lot more help available and I wouldn’t have been told just to try and eat more.

Now this is going to sound really snobby and I really don’t want to offend anyone at all but I also think more Poorer people are obese. Junk food is cheaper. I cook from scratch everyday for my family, I have all kinds of gadgets and gizmos to help me, if I’m cooking a spag Bol the hob is simmering it for most of the day. If you are short of money and are on a electric meter you can’t afford to do that. I worked out that for my family of 5 (3 teens and 2 adults) chicken breast kebabs, roasted veg, pittas, coleslaw and couscous is about £9-£10. If your budget is only £30 a week for food you just can’t do it. It’s cheaper to get 5 ready meals at £1 each or 4 pizzas for £3. A bag of 5 doughnuts in Tesco is 50p, 6 apples is £1.50. I’m not judging these families at all, I can see exactly why they are doing it.

HelenaDove Tue 01-May-18 02:18:59

if the NHS and others want to use BMI but common sense seems to go out the window when it comes to loose skin.

The man in my link is being refused an op on his loose skin because his BMI isnt low enough for the op They want him to lose 3 more stone which is exactly what the loose skin weighs.
Kafkesque
I dont have a lot of faith in them using BMI when its being abused used like this

HelenaDove Tue 01-May-18 02:23:14

HelenaDove Mon 30-Apr-18 18:08:18

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-37409500
Add message | Report | Message poster
HelenaDove Mon 30-Apr-18 18:10:06

"A man who lost 22 stone (140kg) said it is impossible to meet the NHS criteria to have three stone (20kg) of excess skin removed.

Jeff Huggins said he was told he does not meet the body mass index (BMI) yardstick for surgery.

The 45-year-old from Morecambe said the weight of his spare skin means he cannot meet the BMI test.

NHS Lancashire North Clinical Commissioning Group (LNCCG) said it could not comment on individual cases.

Mr Huggins lost 22 of his 40 stone (254kg) in the space of 18 months through a change of diet and regular swimming.

But it left him with multiple folds of skin under his arms, on his back and around his midriff which are prone to infection and make it difficult to sleep, he said.

A letter from the LNCCG said it will only pay for an operation for Mr Huggins if he keeps a low BMI, suffers severe "functional disability" or suffers regular infections which fail to respond to treatment

Mr Huggins said: "Because of my loose skin I do not meet the BMI criteria."

He added that if the skin was removed he would be within the BMI range."

Its bloody Kafkesque.

HelenaDove Tue 01-May-18 16:59:47

Chocolate promotions are nothing new though. WHSmith arent giving them away free.

Mars were in the very late 80s though. Anyone else remember the Applause bar? In the big shopping mall in Chelmsford one Saturday they were giving away two free bars to each person . The queue was all the way up the mall. I remember lining up with DB and we got two free bars each. Some of the younger kids tried lining up again. They were being handed out by a couple of young women from large cardboard boxes full of Applause bars.

I dont think this would happen now . But i could be wrong.

Grasslands Tue 01-May-18 18:47:26

m.youtube.com/watch?v=moQZd1-BC0Y
Along with another lecture I recently listened to by a Stanford Univerity professor suggests some falsehood to calorie in calorie out.
Both studies suggest individual responses to insulin affect weight gain.

ButterflyOfFreedom Thu 10-May-18 22:11:18

Signing this might help....

www.newcastlecan.com/letter

Armi Thu 10-May-18 22:27:13

De-cancer the ciggies and let us all take up smoking again. I was four stone lighter.

HelenaDove Thu 10-May-18 22:37:07

Signing that wont stop Universal Credit which will make matters worse..............weeks + weeks with no money and having to rely on processed carb heavy foods from food banks.................im more worried about the danger to public health from this quite frankly.

I wonder how those in the Newcastle area on UC felt about Hugh extolling the virtues of fresh veg when some of them wont even know IF they are eating from one week to the next let alone what they should be eating.

ButterflyOfFreedom Thu 10-May-18 22:55:43

That's probably true but signing it might help some people which can only be a good thing.

There isn't a 'one size fits all' solution to obesity- it is so complex, as are other issues relating to society / politics / economics etc., but surely trying to do something is better than nothing.

FreeMantle Thu 10-May-18 23:08:40

There is a definite link to poverty and obesity for the reasons you describe ( fresh food costs more than processed).
I also think that being poor also means you are more inclined to cheer yourself up with crap. It's cheap, it tastes lovely.
Once you are eating lots of yummy junk food it's so much harder to go back to real food in smaller affordable portions.
I try and eat low carb now but in Lidls the urge to buy a family bar of white chocolate for 45p was too much. Just the price alone sucked me in really. I could have done with a small bar but they are 65p in my local shop.

HelenaDove Fri 11-May-18 00:28:11

A family bar for 45p Blimey i had no idea they were that cheap. We have a Lidl here but its tiny so i dont bother.

ButterflyOfFreedom Sat 12-May-18 07:50:56

I know it's not easy but cheap healthy options are available.

For example, in my local Aldi you can buy a single banana for 13p.

HelenaDove Sun 13-May-18 17:53:13

well there is a very interesting thread in AIBU which shows that the NHS dismissal of women with thyroid problems is quite likely to be skewing the stats.

quite frankly what with that and the NHS counting loose skin as weight i am very very skeptical about how these stats are collated.

IJustHadToNameChange Sun 13-May-18 18:06:44

Advertising for junk food to be banned.

Endorsements by celebrities or characters to be banned.

No film, toy or event associations with food or the marketing of food - McDonald's, Subway and Burger King I'm looking at you.

Strict rules about manufacturers' claims about 'healthy' foods 'full of goodness' when in fact they're sugar, fat and salt loaded junk.

Children to be accompanied by adults when in shops.

Calorie and nutrition tables to be printed more prominently, with nutrition and calories to be listed by packet contents, recommended portion size and per 100g.

Packets should contain multiples of the recommended portion size eg. if the recommended portion size is listed as 30g, stop putting 70g or 80g in a packet. 60g or 90g should be packed.

hidinginthenightgarden Sun 13-May-18 18:32:10

There was rumour that a law was going to be passed to stop junk food being sold to under 16's without an adult present. Why didn't that happen. It is an excellent idea!
I see loads of kids eating junk on their way to and from school. I have seen them with fried chicken at 8.30am shock

IJustHadToNameChange Sun 13-May-18 18:38:40

Strict legal guidelines about food nutrition values and additives.

Environmental concerns should be more 'in your face' with the plight of wildlife in areas where cash crop plantations being addressed.

Little orangutan logos on products which contain palm oil, for example.

Processed snacks and chocolate bars to be sold in packages containing no more than 100 calories.

KateSpade Sun 13-May-18 19:19:24

I think it’s an issue that should be taught in schools aswell as how to survive as an adult e.g working life, taxes, paying bills & sensible advice e.g not getting into debt, avoiding schemes, ect. I guess that’s what PSHE was about, which we did not do.

I know adults now that struggle with these issues & it shouldn’t been the case.

I do think their should be more awareness of over eating as a mental issue

& a full blown ban on innocent smoothies with more sugar than a bottle of Coke! it’s so deceptive.

Out of interest, if you see an obese child e.g under 10, do you judge the parents?

KateSpade Sun 13-May-18 19:25:25

To add on..

A family member works at a local hospital & has advised me of the many, many dental extractions being done on children some as young as 4, needing 7 teeth out because they were black!

I would have social services involved if I could! I think that is disgraceful & don’t get my started on parents putting coke in baby bottles! 😮

HelenaDove Tue 22-May-18 02:15:51

Well in this case Kate i would judge the housing association.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3125086/Mother-furious-housing-bosses-dismantle-children-s-trampoline-complaints-noise-disruption.html

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: