Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Can you tell me what the etiquette is on holiday?

(76 Posts)
HoldingTheLineWinston Fri 27-Apr-18 08:53:22

If someone has claimed the sunbed at the crack of dawn, but the bed is unused for hours (and there aren't any free I can use)..do I just remove their towel and use it 'til they reappear? or is that out of order? It appears to be a big problem at the hotel we are going to soon..and I don't want to spend my holiday worrying about the blooming sunbeds (or lack of them).

IsDaveThere Fri 27-Apr-18 08:55:36

I wouldn't use it until they re-appear, I would use it for as long as I wanted, as long as they hadn't just gone for breakfast or something.

Some hotels do actually remove towels from beds that are not being used, pity more don't follow suite.

HoldingTheLineWinston Fri 27-Apr-18 08:57:56

From what I gather from reviews and conversations with people, sunbeds are bagged pre 7am but left unused til late afternoon some days. Seems very unfair. Hotel says they remove towels, but in practice don't.I don't want to be THAT guest, but I want to be able to use a sunbed!

TawnyPort Fri 27-Apr-18 08:58:33

Toss their towel off it and its yours. Nowhere lets you reserve sunbeds with a towel.

Last time I was on holiday I took 3 sunbeds for my family from the SIX one woman had tried to claim as hers with 2 towels and a pair of flip flops, that had been empty for at least an hour. The screeching out of her was hilarious when she came back, still alone, accusing me of stealing her sunbeds. Entertained us all mightily she did.

Dowser Fri 27-Apr-18 09:01:18

I would definitely use an empty sun bed that was minding a towel.

Allthatglittersisgold Fri 27-Apr-18 09:01:49

I wouldn't have the guts to remove someones towel but think it would be perfectly reasonable if you did it under those circumstances.

On another note. Last holiday we went on there was reviews saying there was issues with sunbeds. When we actually got there we had no problems. Don't worry about it too much, it might not even happen x

Millionairesshortbread1 Fri 27-Apr-18 09:01:52

Definitely throw towels all on the floor and be ready to be entertained.

KirstenRaymonde Fri 27-Apr-18 09:01:57

I’ve found the only way is to just play the towel game as well, get up early and stick the towels out and claim a spot. I’d prefer it not to be that way, but if everyone else is doing it that’s the only way to get a space.

motorpink Fri 27-Apr-18 09:06:07

Fuck etiquette. Move the towels grin

Furano Fri 27-Apr-18 09:06:16

Move towels. Use sun bed. Claim ignorance.

HoldingTheLineWinston Fri 27-Apr-18 09:09:50

The other half has been briefed, and is ready to spring into action..but I think his resolve will slip if he has to get up pre 7am to get a sunbed..but we would only reserve one if we were actually going to use it within a reasonable time frame (ie: straight after breakfast).

bestbefore Fri 27-Apr-18 09:11:02

I hate this! Def use the lounger and maybe move them a bit so people - if they ever come down - don't know which ones are "theirs" or not!
We arrived at a hotel once later in the day and there was towels on sun beds, we just sat down and moved the towels. The lady came back and expressed surprise but we just said we'd not realised anyone was there as there wasn't anyone there confused

AmazingBouncingFerret Fri 27-Apr-18 09:12:16

Remove the towel but fold it nicely. I’m nice like that. grin

HoldingTheLineWinston Fri 27-Apr-18 09:14:09

I will definitely fold the towel. I'm nice too! grin

MrKaplansGlasses Fri 27-Apr-18 09:14:24

Throwing towels on the floor is unnecessary. I would remove and fold them up.

HoldingTheLineWinston Fri 27-Apr-18 09:16:38

I wouldn't throw them on the floor, don't worry.

DextroDependant Fri 27-Apr-18 09:17:16

I would probably move towels off lots of sun beds and fold them neatly so it looks like the hotel have done it.

Asmallrole Fri 27-Apr-18 09:18:36

I used to do as a PP suggested, shuffle a few around, group a few together, leave a few gaps. This was my job while DH got the kids pool-ready.

DuchyDuke Fri 27-Apr-18 09:22:12

I take personal towels off. If anyone questions it, and it has only happened three times in all my years of going on holidays, I tell them the hotel manager did it and was going to throw it away but I folded it nicely for them in case they returned. Usually prompts a nice pleasant reaction smile

If it’s a hotel towel then dump it to the side or return it to the pool manager. Nobody will notice!

Tamingoftheglue Fri 27-Apr-18 09:23:25

When we went away last year this was a huge problem for us. People would 'reserve' sunbeds by putting out their towels but one family in particular did not only do that oh nooo, they'd make a bloody deck chair fort around the flipping things. Stacking plastic patio furniture with the sort of proficiency you might see in the Tetris Olympics!

We are a family of 8 but never have more than 3 sunbeds because the kids aren't even usually sitting on them most of the time as they're playing in/around the pool.

Day 3, I was so pissed off with it, I handed their belongings into reception as lost property, moved the sunbeds and watched on as they returned, the father was frothing about it for ages while we pretended not to know a thing grin

PuppyMonkey Fri 27-Apr-18 09:24:11

I don’t go on this type of holiday ever as I hate sunbathing, but I’ve never understood why people don’t just take the towels off and go and hide them somewhere or take them inside and put in a cupboard out the way or something. grin

If you leave a towel or anything else hanging around unattended, you run every risk of it being nicked imho.

00100001 Fri 27-Apr-18 09:24:54

yy to just remove the towels.

witchofzog Fri 27-Apr-18 09:26:44

Lots of places let you deserve sunbed this way despite having a policy that states otherwise as they don't want the hassle

Tawny I think you were in the wrong in your scenario. In all the hotels I have been to it is always ok to keep your towel on a lounger while you go to lunch or to do an activity providing its a short one. If this lady had only been gone for an hour she might have gone to do one of these things.

Obviously those who get up at the crack of dawn to reserve a lounger and then don't use them for hours and hours are selfish assholes and I have witnessed plenty of that behaviour too. Even then though I would not throw the towels on the floor but would fold and place it somewhere nearby. There is no point in causing a bigger argument than necessry

Juells Fri 27-Apr-18 09:27:52

It's bums wot keeps seats

Ellie56 Fri 27-Apr-18 09:28:30

Tamingoftheglue grin grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: