Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

An Ebay one

(17 Posts)
Middleoftheroad Fri 27-Apr-18 08:25:57

Why do I never get a straightforward sale or purchase?

Three weeks ago
I sold a digital piano for £440 on ebay (well £400 once ebay took its cut).

Piano is mint and I had several offers and bids from people - one offering far more if I could arrange transport, but I declined as I didn't want hassle. In my ad I stated I preferred cash to avoid paypal fees and to ensure the piano suitable - always do this on collection pieces. however, winning buyer paid immediately via PP.

The item was bought by somebody in Poland and they asked if they could pick it up on their next uk trip (this weekend). We had wanted the space free sooner for new furniture, but said ok.

They are coming at some point tomorrow evening, they cant be specific, and while in uk are collecting various items in a big estate car.

Piano was originally transported whole to mine via a large Picasso boot.

Buyer wants to dismantle the piano to fit in car. DH isn't even sure it will dismantle. I've told buyer this, but they've said they are sure it will come apart fine!.

I feel uncomfortable in case the piano gets broken/damaged and they claim it back via ebay and we lose out on what is a large sum for us. I can't even cancel as ebay have already taken its ten percent fees and paypal.

WWYD?

TheBigFatMermaid Fri 27-Apr-18 08:27:57

I think your bigger problem is you will have no proof they have collected it and they have paid by PP.

IWantMyHatBack Fri 27-Apr-18 08:28:00

I'd definitely cancel the sale.

If you do decide to go ahead, refund their paypal and insist in cash on collection.

ZeroFuchsGiven Fri 27-Apr-18 08:29:52

You need to refund the PayPal payment now whilst you still have the piano and tell then cash on collection only. You are not covered at all otherwise.

ILikeMyChickenFried Fri 27-Apr-18 08:30:13

I'd never ever tale PayPal on collection items. They can claim they never received it and you have no proof they did and PayPal will refund them. Cam you have them sign something to say they've collected it? I don't know if this will work.

OdileDeCaray Fri 27-Apr-18 08:33:33

pages.ebay.co.uk/help/sell/cancel-transaction-process.html#cancel

Do not let them
Pick it up!

SuburbanRhonda Fri 27-Apr-18 08:33:53

Agree with PP - cancel the PayPal payment.

I bought a large item on eBay from a local seller and paid by PayPal because I didn’t know about the danger to the seller of the buyer saying they never received the item.

When I said I would collect, the buyer instantly cancelled the PayPal, explained why and I paid cash when I collected.

And it was a lot less than £440.

MikeUniformMike Fri 27-Apr-18 08:34:54

Cancel the purchase and refund immediately.
Relist as UK only and cash on collection, must be collected within x days.

Middleoftheroad Fri 27-Apr-18 08:36:48

Thanks - the problem was that Ebay forced me to tick paypal box as a method of payment. When i left it unchecked it forced me to tick it so i put in the ad that I preferred payment on collection.

Middleoftheroad Fri 27-Apr-18 08:37:39

If I cancel though will I get my £40 fees back off Ebay and Paypal fees?

Middleoftheroad Fri 27-Apr-18 08:38:27

Will I be blacklisted? I thought only buyers could cancel in such circumstances.

Middleoftheroad Fri 27-Apr-18 08:41:48

Sorry - just read the link above. Should I give them the option of collecting and paying cash? Still makes me nervous they want to dismantle it though!

Shen0102 Fri 27-Apr-18 08:53:05

they need to pay cash on collection...if you process a refund you'll get all the money back from eBay except listing fees. PayPal will keep a few pennies too but all worth it as buyer might report item not delivered and you'll need a tracking number for that

OdileDeCaray Fri 27-Apr-18 08:54:48

If they pay cash they can't do fuck all about a refund via eBay.

MikeUniformMike Fri 27-Apr-18 08:55:59

Contact eBay or look through their help pages. You can cancel under some circumstances, and this is probably one of them.

Middleoftheroad Fri 27-Apr-18 09:01:48

Thanks. I've just opted to cancel. I just had visions of them arriving and trying to dismantle and it's just awkward too if it gets damaged.

Would anyone advise selling this on Gumtree instead? I'm no longer on Facebook so can't use that.

Buyer has my name and address so expecting a few texts today!

SuburbanRhonda Fri 27-Apr-18 17:55:52

Gumtree would be a good idea as they have to collect.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: