Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Advanced Nurse Practicioner in doctor's surgeries

(11 Posts)
MaryPlain59 Fri 27-Apr-18 07:35:00

Is an Advanced Nurse Practioner at a doctor's surgery able to refer a patient to a Consultant and write a Deferral letter for a patient who will need to defer their university place this year due to illness?

Tobuyornot99 Fri 27-Apr-18 07:36:12

Depends on the set up agreed within the GP practice

MaryPlain59 Fri 27-Apr-18 07:54:50

It is a new system as we have just amalgamated with other practices. I rang for a follow up GP appointment and was told I have to see the ANP, I asked if she would be able to do the two things I have mentioned above and was just told quite curtly "they can do lots of things". I am concerned about wasting time waiting for this appointment next week if I do need to see a GP as I have had more and worsening symptoms over the last month.

ihatethecold Fri 27-Apr-18 07:57:27

I would ring back and ask specifically. Or ask to speak to the practice manager.

I know my ANP can prescribe but I’m not sure about referring on.

PurplePotatoes Fri 27-Apr-18 08:05:40

I had an ANP send an urgent 2 week referral to dermatology for me so they must be able to do it if agreed within their surgery.

IlonaRN Fri 27-Apr-18 08:08:45

At my surgery they do referrals (much to the consultant's surprise!)

GarbageBell Fri 27-Apr-18 08:14:34

I’ve had prescriptions and referrals from a nurse practitioner at the GPs surgery. I actually prefer to go to her now rather than the GP

TheBigFatMermaid Fri 27-Apr-18 08:59:51

Maybe they can, maybe they can't but what they can do is get quick access to a GP if it is necessary. I know you are concerned about wasting their time, but this is one hoop you just may have to jump through to get what you need. You may not even need to see the GP for them to facilitate this for you, they would take them on their assessment of you.

MrsJayy Fri 27-Apr-18 09:14:41

Mine referred me elsewhere. you could phone and ask though, save you a journey and an appointment

MrsJayy Fri 27-Apr-18 09:19:59

Actually Thebigfatmermaids post makes sense just keep your appointment and see where it takes you

Dinosauratemydaffodils Fri 27-Apr-18 09:48:25

One referred a friend's little girl to ENT when she had repeated ear infections.

Dh saw one for something and when she saw him/discussed his symptoms, she produced a GP for an opinion within minutes.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: