Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Kate Middleton not Mountbatten-Windsor?

(76 Posts)
dancingqueen345 Thu 26-Apr-18 21:39:20

Arguably it is an absolute mouthful, but I wonder why Kate is always referred to by her maiden name when she has changed it?

tortelliniforever Thu 26-Apr-18 21:40:12

Has she changed it?

dancingqueen345 Thu 26-Apr-18 21:40:46

I've read on google that she has yes

EggysMom Thu 26-Apr-18 21:40:52

I thought she was now known as the Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge?

dancingqueen345 Thu 26-Apr-18 21:41:02

Although happy to be corrected!

dancingqueen345 Thu 26-Apr-18 21:41:54

@EggysMom I mean whenever the press write about her

DaveswifeDawn Thu 26-Apr-18 21:42:00

When she sued that French rag that published photos her sunbathing topless, the Court papers listed her as Catherine Middleton.

DickensianHysteric Thu 26-Apr-18 21:43:38

She's Kate Middleton in the press because that's what most people still know and refer to her as. Like Lady Di in the 80s!

FellOutOfBed2wice Thu 26-Apr-18 21:44:08

On TV/officially she’s referred to as “The Duchess of Cambridge” now isn’t she? No one calls her “Kate” anymore officially/pubically, not even William, much less “Kate Middleton” (I assume this is like how my husband is called something like “David” and everyone- including I- call him “Dave” but his Mum and Dad are having none of it and still call him by his full name).

I think officially their surname is “Cambridge”.

JennyHolzersGhost Thu 26-Apr-18 21:44:32

I thought MN was generally supportive of married women who retain their maiden name ?

EdithWeston Thu 26-Apr-18 21:44:46

She was referred to as Middleton when they launched the action I. The French courts about the paparazzi shots. There isn't really an issue, is there, with a woman keeping her own name (even when there is a title as well)

William and Harry both use Wales when they need a surname, so if she did opt to change her name at some point in the future, presumably that would be the one?

NapQueen Thu 26-Apr-18 21:47:28

The press use Middleton to remind us that she is a "commoner". The whole family surname is Mountbatten-Windsor. Kate and Wills being the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge use Cambridge as their surname when needed (Waitrose loyalty card, Drivers license etc.).

Presumably George is George Cambridge at school

dancingqueen345 Thu 26-Apr-18 21:48:02

😂😂 Jesus, this is chat, no AIBU. I absolutely have zero issue with whatever her surname may be, whether she kept her own or has changed it (or lost it all together by the sounds of it), was merely wondering!

dancingqueen345 Thu 26-Apr-18 21:48:56

@DickensianHysteric wasn't Princess Di's surname Mountbatten-Windsor though?

NapQueen Thu 26-Apr-18 21:51:03

The surname of the royal family is Mountbatten Windsor. However they are bestowed a title often on marriage which they use day to day.

Diana Spencer became Diana, Princess of Wales, so will have used Diana Wales day to day.

MaisyPops Thu 26-Apr-18 21:51:16

I wondered that.
Didn't William/Harry have Wales as their surname in the Army?
So maybe it's Cambridge.

How does the Mountbatten-Winsdor surname work then if that's the family one?

NapQueen Thu 26-Apr-18 21:52:48

They are member of the House Windsor. Or Mountbatten Windsor as it became eventually.

When Harry and Meghan marry say they become the Count and Countess of Sussex their kids would use Bob and Jenny Sussex etc.

soggydigestive Thu 26-Apr-18 21:54:00

I love the idea of them having a Waitrose loyalty card grin

RandomlyChosenName Thu 26-Apr-18 21:54:51

Here you are: www.goodhousekeeping.com/life/entertainment/a33327/royal-etiquette-stop-saying-princess-kate/

FellOutOfBed2wice Thu 26-Apr-18 21:55:03

I had a brief relationship with a boy who was in the same year at Eton as William and his used surname there was “Wales” but presumably he’s changed that on marriage and is now William Cambridge on his drivers license and- as a PP said- Prince George is “George Cambridge” at school.

Butterymuffin Thu 26-Apr-18 21:55:45

It's how 'the public' first got to know her. As a pp said, Diana was 'Lady Di', and I don't think I remember Fergie ever being called the Duchess of York.

NapQueen Thu 26-Apr-18 21:57:39

Only to the public, are the nicknames "Fergie" and whatnot used.

Presumably amongst the royals themselves they would say "Do invite Sarah for tea, Mummy" or "presenting Sarah, the Duchess of York" etc.

Butterymuffin Thu 26-Apr-18 22:01:23

Well, yes, but then amongst other royals they wouldn't need surnames either.

NapQueen Thu 26-Apr-18 22:02:20

True. Surnames arent really a necessary part of royal life. Ok for school / army etc. But day to day who actually needs a surname?

MNscum Thu 26-Apr-18 22:03:58

William has changed his surname so often I’m surprised he knows what it is. He was Wales at Eton and in the raf. I believe when he was younger it was Windsor. Now Cambridge.

So the press are probably unsure what to use. Even if they know that it’s Catherine Cambridge maybe they just worry the public wouldn’t know who they meant.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: