Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Can I have your "cat got lost, then was found" stories please?

(106 Posts)
Runawaycat Thu 26-Apr-18 20:41:19

Our three year old boy hasn't been back since yesterday afternoon, which is completely out of character. We live at the edge of a village, near woods. I'm really worried he has got lost, stuck, or attacked. He is the most lovely boy, we have had him from seven weeks old, when he was abandoned on the side of a motorway.

I feel that there is no way he would miss out on so many meal times without something bad having happened. We're sick with worry. I really need some encouraging cat wandering then returning stories to get a bit of perspective!

parrotonmyshoulder Thu 26-Apr-18 20:43:13

My mum’s 15 year old cat didn’t come back
one night. They searched everywhere but didn’t find her and sadly assumed she’d died somewhere.

She came back a year later and lived till she was 19.

TarquinGyrfalcon Thu 26-Apr-18 20:45:18

My lovely tabby boy disappeared - we hunted for him, asked neighbours, put up posters but no sign of him.
After 6 weeks I said to DH that I couldn't bear it any more and we had to get another cat - I opened the local paper and started reading though the 'pets' section (this was many years ago before the internet), about an hour later we heard a tapping noise and looked up to see him sitting on the windowsill asking to come in.
He was thin and bedraggled but he was home - we joke that he'd heard we were about to replace him and hot footed it home!

Runawaycat Thu 26-Apr-18 20:46:10

Goodness me. I wonder where she was for that year?? shock

Thefeud Thu 26-Apr-18 20:46:37

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

crispsahoy Thu 26-Apr-18 20:47:18

My dbro's cat went missing, after 3/4 days we trawled the streets put up missing posters. He was messaged a few days later that a cat fitting her description was found by side of the road.

Then about a week later his neighbour knocks on the door and asks if this is his cat? It was. She had snook into their house and set up home in the spare bedroom. She had been sneaking downstairs when neighbour was in bed to eat off plates and doing business near the door.

The neighbour was disabled and the door was often left ajar for visiting professionals etc.

Runawaycat Thu 26-Apr-18 20:47:48

Oh that's lovely Tarquin!

parrotonmyshoulder Thu 26-Apr-18 20:48:32

We never found out. She was thin and bedraggled though.
Such a sweet kitty.

Runawaycat Thu 26-Apr-18 20:48:44

Thanks for that thefeud hmm

TheDinosaurRoars Thu 26-Apr-18 20:49:09

One of my cats disappeared for a week, despite never having gone missing for even an hour before. He came home quite skinny and with blunt claws, so I assume he was locked in a garage or shed, but was absolutely fine.

Another one escaped during a home move and turned up two months later.

I also have a relative whose cat disappeared for a year before coming home. Sadly she had assumed he had died and got another cat and the new and old cat did not get on.

WhereBeThatBlackbirdTo Thu 26-Apr-18 20:49:17

Our young ginger tom went missing for a few days. We knocked on doors, put notes through neighbours letter boxes, had phone calls saying someone was stealing cats - it was heartbreaking.

We were woken in the middle of the night by a very hungry ginger cat purring loudly in our faces, paddling paws on my chest.

We never did find out where he’d been

9GreenBottles Thu 26-Apr-18 20:50:23

We had a cat who disappeared for a week years ago. She may have been trapped in a basement area which didn't have a staircase for her to come back up (that was where we found her anyway).

Earlier this year I found an eight month old kitten in my garden and she had been lost for three weeks.

Don't give up hope flowers

tccat Thu 26-Apr-18 20:51:42

Twice mine has gone missing presumed dead and came back all bedraggled after five days

jaffajiffy Thu 26-Apr-18 20:52:28

Our tabby madam moved out in high dudgeon once our second son arrived. She popped in from time to time but eventually stopped. She was missing for about 4 months. She’s back now. Cheeky!

parrotonmyshoulder Thu 26-Apr-18 20:52:36

My friend’s cat got into a removal van - she was able to trace it (by phoning the removal company) to a house two towns away and it was curled up on a sofa in the van!

iknowimcoming Thu 26-Apr-18 20:52:47

Yep mine has 'gone' for 2-3 days several times and then turned up. My friends dcat (who is 7 months old and just finished her vaccinations) disappeared about 2 weeks ago for 48 hours then turned up starving but fine. It's the time of year I fear. Have you tried local Facebook pages etc? Fingers crossed for you thanks

Snowballz Thu 26-Apr-18 20:52:56

Ours went missing for a week when only 8 months old. It was a cold foggy days I think was disorientated. We asked all of the neighbours to check sheds. Did several streets. He came back in dead of night and woke us all up. He was hungry with broken claws.
A year later his brother did the same. We now refer to it as their 'vision quest', a kind of kittenly right-of-passage.

Tonytonymacaroni Thu 26-Apr-18 20:53:13

Not mine but a friends cat escaped from her boyfriends parents house (where he was being kept while my friend was moving house.) He was missing for a couple of worrying nights before she had some advice to put a piece of her recently worn clothing outside the back door to help him smell his way home. It was summer time and once they’d finished moving boxes for the day into their new place, they still had no bed delivered so stayed at the parents house again that night - with the window to the spare bedroom open in the heat. He came in the window 6am like nothing had happened! She also put his litter tray outside as that might have smelled stronger. It’s probably worth a try - shaking dry food and calling his name did absolutely nothing as he was probably too far away exploring to hear. Hope this helps.

DownAtFraggleRock Thu 26-Apr-18 20:53:18

2 weeks was the longest one of ours disappeared for when I was a kid. Think he got stuck in someone's garage or something when they went away.

He was soooo hungry when he came back!

Ours don't go out at night and we once couldn't find the older one to get her in of an evening. Searched the house, nothing.

Cue a sleepless night..... found her in the basement closet the next morning hmm. Not a peep out of her, even when we were calling her over and over. Cow grin

custardy Thu 26-Apr-18 20:53:37

My cat went missing. Couldn't find her, looked everywhere. Waited until 2am (quiet and dark) and called for her. Heard her meowing from a walled garden, I opened the gate and she ran right to me. I don't think she was stuck, just a bit lost and too scared to come out in the noisy daylight. Absolutely fine, but very clingy and hungry!

MrsSchadenfreude Thu 26-Apr-18 20:54:12

We had one that disappeared - we assumed she had another home somewhere, and they had moved away. We removed the cat flap, didn’t get another cat. Two years later, there was furious banging on the kitchen window, and there she was, sporting a smart red collar, and clearly very cross that the cat flap was no more. She stayed with us (mostly!) until she died at around the age of 22.

ChoccyJules Thu 26-Apr-18 20:54:20

Cat vanished, didn't reappear after several days. I put flyers through all the doors of houses which backed onto ours, plus neighbours etc. About a week after she went, someone said they might have seen her in their garden and let me go and call her, then their neighbour also let me do this. No sign. The same night, I got her food pot and shook it up and down their street at dusk, calling her. She came. No injuries, seemed happy. Silly moggie.

MuffinMad Thu 26-Apr-18 20:55:32

A couple of years ago, our cat went out in the middle of the night. Never saw him for two weeks. Then,exactly two weeks later, in

cloudyweewee Thu 26-Apr-18 20:56:12

One of my cats went missing for three nights and we were francit with worry. He turned up very dirty and a bit thinner so we assumed he may have been accidentally shut in a shed. One tip I read was to empty your vacuum cleaner onto your lawn, so that the puss can smell familiar scents and is able to find his way back home.

MuffinMad Thu 26-Apr-18 20:57:08

Posted too soon......

Two weeks later in the middle of the night, he turned up.

A bit skinny, but otherwise healthy.

Don't give up hope!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: