Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Grandma's 100th birthday - and i have absolutely no gift Ideas

(38 Posts)
DoubleHelix79 Thu 26-Apr-18 20:15:36

My grandma, who I love very much, is turning an incredible 100 years old. We're having a nice party for her which I'm really looking forward to.

The problem is I have no inspiration for gifts and really want to give her something she'll be happy about. Any ideas for something that's worthy of the occasion?

It doesn't necessarily need to be a tangible object.

To give a little more information: She's mentally very fit (beats me at Scrabble in her sleep) but her eyesight has declined a lot. She walks ok and loves traveling in the car.

She was born in 1918 in Wroclaw when it was within German territory but had to flee in 1945 and has lived in northern Germany since that time.

Worked as a seamstress and later in a regional finance administration.

Loves gardening and has a huge garden with flowers as well as fruit and veg.

She's quite adventurous and will give things a go.

Thank you mumsnetters!

ny20005 Thu 26-Apr-18 20:19:20

Could you track down a copy of the German paper from the day she was born ?

Maybe a nice afternoon tea at a garden centre & some gardening stuff ?

kaytee87 Thu 26-Apr-18 20:21:14

An iou to an afternoon tea at a garden centre is a great idea.

I was going to say a scrap book of photographs / newspaper articles etc through her 10 decades but if her eyesight isn't good then that might be no good for her.

Annwithnoe Thu 26-Apr-18 20:35:10

What’s your budget op?

A lovely cashmere blanket : lightweight and much warmer than acrylic, beautiful texture which might appeal more so if her eyesight is failing

Battery operated heated gillet is my go-to gift for keen gardeners.

Does she use a tablet? We got fil a Spotify subscription which he loves as he can find all sorts of dreadful music from his obviously uncool youth. We’re getting him headphones for his birthday hmm. but it’s really something he appreciates. He was searching for songs the other evening that he remembered his father singing, and hasn’t heard in 70-odd years. Songs bring back lovely memories.

DunnoWhy Thu 26-Apr-18 20:52:06

Music CD from her youth?
Something nice to wear such as a soft and warm cardigan In her favourite colour?
A portable radio?
A gorgeous bouquet of spring and summer flowers that look gorgeous as well as smell lovely. I can't imagine anyone who can't be cheered with a gorgeous bouquet of flowers.
A combination of both flowers and a cardigan maybe?

NapQueen Thu 26-Apr-18 20:54:40

Some leather trousers.

kaytee87 Thu 26-Apr-18 20:57:32

My gran (in her 90s) loves posh soap and handcream.

Love the idea of a cashmere blanket or cardigan

Aprilmightbemynewname Thu 26-Apr-18 21:00:13

How about a This Is Your Life afternoon?

DoubleHelix79 Thu 26-Apr-18 21:08:35

Thanks everyone, some really great ideas here. Tempted to do all of them.

Leather trousers made me chuckle - perhaps they'd go well with a flight in a hot air balloon...

Budget is very flexible by the way. I'm prepared to spend a fair bit, although she's not the type to expect an expensive gift.

BrownTurkey Thu 26-Apr-18 21:09:06

Ancestry dna thingy?

DunnoWhy Thu 26-Apr-18 21:12:12

Some tasteful antique item which she would like. It could be an ornament, a vase, a silver or glass jewellery box.
Silver mirror and hair brush set.

SirVixofVixHall Thu 26-Apr-18 21:14:35

Ooh yes ancestry DNA is a good idea!
Hand made things too, are always lovely.
Also how absolutely WONDERFUL that your Grandma is to be 100. flowers cake

laloup1 Thu 26-Apr-18 21:17:05

Anti-wrinkle cream smile

Aridane Thu 26-Apr-18 21:17:35

100 roses?

RomaineCalm Thu 26-Apr-18 21:18:41

Are you close to a theatre? Could you arrange a matinee performance of a show that she would enjoy. Even better if you could have a private box!

IveGotBillsTheyreMultiplying Thu 26-Apr-18 21:20:04

Does she listen to audiobooks?

AllRoadsLeadBackToRadley Thu 26-Apr-18 21:21:27

When I'm buying for someone special, I try to track down a copy of whatever song was number 1 on their birthday. How about a collection of songs from 1919, if you can? Or, for a bigger project, a song from each year she's been here? I have a mahoosive collection of music- 4000 songs on my phone alone. If you want to do it, aňd you need help tracking anything down, chances are I have it on mp3.

DoubleHelix79 Thu 26-Apr-18 21:25:05

I think I've created a different problem for myself - lots of fantastic ideas und unable to choose. Nooooo!

littlepill Thu 26-Apr-18 21:26:22

Would she be up to a ride in a hot air balloon? Maybe with one of those photos of her house, if there is a family home?

Alwayslumpyporridge Thu 26-Apr-18 21:29:33

For my grans 90th we got her a massive tv, she loved it as she won’t admit her eyesight is getting worse! She always loves fancy clothes and diamonds. She hates being reminded how old she is.

We bought her garden furniture one year that’s she really loves, gifts for her are made more special if we club together, have you siblings or cousins that can do a group gift?

GlassHeart1 Thu 26-Apr-18 21:29:40

Something scented lily of the valley or lilac, these scents can literally transport you to a different place and time.

Leeds2 Thu 26-Apr-18 21:31:21

Garden bench, or bird bath.

AgentProvocateur Thu 26-Apr-18 21:32:41

What about an old map of where she grew up?

HerLadySheep Thu 26-Apr-18 21:32:52

A friend of mine recently had her parents wedding photographs drawn in a lovely line drawn style by an artist as a gift for them, it sounds naff but was really effective

AgentProvocateur Thu 26-Apr-18 21:32:55

Framed, I meant.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: