Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Why do you iron?

(83 Posts)
DammitOedipus Thu 26-Apr-18 16:37:17

Just that, really. I understand formal shirts and fancy dresses, but ironing weekly? I am not from the UK so it is not a norm where I'm from. Why spend so much time ironing? What is it for? Are there benefits?

BakerBear Thu 26-Apr-18 16:39:40

Non ironed clothes look a mess.

I wouldnt wear something that wasnt ironed

A4710Rider Thu 26-Apr-18 16:40:41

Standards, Oedipus, standards.

Fintress Thu 26-Apr-18 16:40:44

Why spend so much time ironing?

It takes no time at all, there are only two of us. Ironed clothes fold much better for storing plus I like ironing. Anything else?

fleshmarketclose Thu 26-Apr-18 16:42:30

I iron because ironed clothes look much nicer than clothes that haven't been ironed. It's not too bad a chore I put on an audiobook and it's done in no time.

OdileDeCaray Thu 26-Apr-18 16:42:46

Ironed items take up far less space than nonironed items and looks much nicer on.

Davros Thu 26-Apr-18 16:43:15

Ironed clothes look better and I can listen to The Archers at the same time. I find it quite therapeutic but I won't do it if I struggle to find the time

RippleEffects Thu 26-Apr-18 16:44:03

Ironing kills bugs and bacteria not necessarily killed by low temperature washing. Historically I believe that was a reason people ironed.

NotUmbongoUnchained Thu 26-Apr-18 16:44:37

Because it’s relaxing.

Stops me from killing.

grasspigeons Thu 26-Apr-18 16:44:44

The hama beads don't stick together if you don't iron them

Bowlofbabelfish Thu 26-Apr-18 16:46:53

Because when you’re seeing a garment seams you just sewed need to lay flat before you sew the next one.

I don’t iron actual clothes. Not time in the day tbh.

UndomesticHousewife Thu 26-Apr-18 16:47:08

I used to iron so we would have non creased clothes
Now I don’t care if clothes are creased I put them in tumble dryer for few minutes I watch tv instead.
And teenagers just dump clothes anywhere and everywhere and make a huge mess looking for stuff in their drawers there’s no point ironing their clothes.

PinotAndPlaydough Thu 26-Apr-18 16:49:02

The clothes look better and are easier to put away. A lot of my children’s clothes are thin cotton that looks awful if not ironed. I don’t have to worry when heading out that I’ll have to quickly run an iron over something because it looks unwearable.
But I mainly iron because it stops me snacking in the evening grin

JenBarber Thu 26-Apr-18 16:51:48

I only iron at work where I get paid to do so. Don't iron my own stuff.

I admit that sheets, etc look better ironed but when you work full time who's going to spend precious hours ironing?

I did iron when I didn't work, but not now.

Jonbb Thu 26-Apr-18 16:53:35

Haven't for years, if you drip dry they don't need it.

Twounder1 Thu 26-Apr-18 16:58:48

I dont 😂

Padfootprongs Thu 26-Apr-18 17:10:33

Ha I never iron, don't get it either!

NorthEndGal Thu 26-Apr-18 17:10:54

I am not UK , over here we tumble dry and hang it up right away, so it's uniforms only that need ironing

lemonsunshinecake Thu 26-Apr-18 17:12:03

Because I don't want my kids and me to look like a crumpled mess

RoryGillmoresEvilTwin Thu 26-Apr-18 17:13:49

I think my clothes look/hang/fit better when they've been ironed.

I actually quite enjoy it. Once a week I put something on TV that I want to watch and happily iron for a couple of hours.

lynmilne65 Thu 26-Apr-18 17:14:55

I don't

Youradviceneeded Thu 26-Apr-18 17:15:42

The clothes that we choose to wear look so much better ironed. Lots of people wear styles and fabrics that don't need ironing. But our things look much better ironed. I also like getting into bed when the sheets, pillowcases and duvet cover has been ironed.

It can also be a matter of what you're used to. My mum itprons everything including socks and pants. I am not that bad!

AllMumsyWereTheBorrowedClothes Thu 26-Apr-18 17:18:46

I like the feel, and look, of ironed clothes, and I can watch daytime tv whilst ironing grin

I lived in Thailand for a couple of years, and was so impressed by how beautifully turned out everyone else was I not just ironed but starched everything. It was 35°C + and I had a rotating, floor standing fan at either end of the board to try to cool me down ❄ hmmconfused

I carried on doing it for years after we returned to the UK.blush The dcs clothes always looked so nice, but I got out of the habit eventually, thankfully.

Just off to iron now, mumsnetting while making tea...... 😳

AmazingPostVoices Thu 26-Apr-18 17:22:26

In my personal clothes look better on ironed and are easier to put away if they are ironed.

Nicely ironed bed linen makes me happy.

I don’t care what anyone else does, iron/don’t iron who cares.

Smeddum Thu 26-Apr-18 17:23:29

I find it soothing, and I like knowing everything is ironed and put away tidily so I’m not in a pickle. I don’t give a shit if anyone else irons, but I like to do our stuff. Bedding too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: