Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Advice from contact lens wearers with astigmatism please

(35 Posts)
SargeantAngua Thu 26-Apr-18 13:00:35

Are you happy with your lenses? Do the toric ones take time to get in the right position and make things fuzzy before then/on and off? Have you had to try different ones to get the right one?

I'm on day 2 of my contact lens trial (soft dailies). Right eye has a very mild astigmatism so normal lens. Left eye's is stronger so I have a toric lens for it. The right eye is great, put the lens in and i can see. The left eye just isn't. I blink a few times and things shift and I can see, then they shift again and I can't. I'm typing this on my phone having just put them in and each letter on the keyboard looks almost 3d, but changes as I turn my head. Day 1 it seemed to settle a bit but never perfect. Are these lenses not right for me or will it just take time to get used to them?

MeanTangerine Thu 26-Apr-18 13:02:34

Sounds like the left lens isn't a great fit. Might be worth giving your optician a call.

Calledyoulastnightfromglasgow Thu 26-Apr-18 13:02:40

I had that and they just weren’t right for me.

I had to try a different make. They should not be uncomfortable!

MsHomeSlice Thu 26-Apr-18 13:03:43

toric lenses do take time to settle and can settle oddly, just go back and get them to have a look and they should be able to modify the fit and/or the prescription to improve the vision

paganmolloy Thu 26-Apr-18 13:04:57

I used to wear gas permeable lenses. I found the soft toric one really annoying and couldn’t wear them. Went back to gas permeable then got eyes lasered and have never looked back. PArdon the pun

Freezingheart Thu 26-Apr-18 13:05:16

I think they’ve got the left eye wrong. A few blinks and it should sort itself. You’ll need to go back to your optician I’m afraid

Grumpyoldwoman007 Thu 26-Apr-18 13:08:15

I tried toric lenses but found my vision wasn't great and they were uncomfortable. I have reverted to daily disposable lenses.

MasterLeonard Thu 26-Apr-18 13:08:58

As pp said, toric lenses do take a while to settle and you should keep checking in with your optician to make sure the fit is right. That said, I never did get used to them so now I just have contacts that don't correct for astigmatism and glasses that do.

MasterLeonard Thu 26-Apr-18 13:11:55

Not that I wear lenses/glasses at the same time. And I have no idea why I can see properly through lenses that don't correct my (severe) astigmatism, but then I'm not entirely sure how contact lenses work at all...

ShesAYamEater Thu 26-Apr-18 13:17:26

former dispensing optician here who also has astigmatism.....torics are never perfect imho. they are weighted so they should theoretically sit at the right angle but i always found they never did, or moved, my vision was never perfect and they were never that comfortable. i went back to glasses as much of a pain as they are.
it was a few years ago since i was in the industry but i personally dont think astigmatism and contact lens wearing work terribly well.
the only solution is gas perms but they are so outdated now and so hard to get used to - takes weeks - with lots of discomfort and watery eyes - at my age id never get used to them and i have a slightly dry eye now too so it would be agony.

in all honesty - i gave up with the idea of contacts and torics. tried them all. just couldnt get it right.

Catrabbit75 Thu 26-Apr-18 13:19:06

I wear toric lenses, I was using monthly Biofinity lenses which were pretty good, but I've recently changed to Air-Optix (again a monthly lense). They are great, they don't move around atall when I blink. I wear them from 7am until 11pm-ish with no problems, from vision direct website

ShesAYamEater Thu 26-Apr-18 13:22:48

i think it really depends on how bad your astigmatism is.

mines pretty bad. seems catrabbit has better luck!

SargeantAngua Thu 26-Apr-18 13:23:06

Thanks for all the replies, that's really useful. Glad there may be more options if the left one isn't correct for me (as it seems to be), but sounds like there's a chance I'll be stuck with glasses. I'm 34...I've worn glasses a long time so no great loss although I really liked the idea of contacts.

I've a check up next Friday to see how I've got on so I guess I just use the ones I've got until then (only 3 more pairs, including the ones I have to wear to the appt) to be sure I've given them a good go then see what they say.

SargeantAngua Thu 26-Apr-18 13:25:29

Power -1.50, Cyl -0.75x160
Don't think that's very strong?

MargoLovebutter Thu 26-Apr-18 13:29:04

Over the years, I've tried every lense there is but they just don't work for me, as i have astigmatisms in both eyes and the lenses move too much so my vision blurs constantly.

I do occasionally wear lenses, which have no astigmatism correction to work functions, as they do improve my vision enough so I can see people's faces better across a room.

TorviBrightspear Thu 26-Apr-18 13:40:46

OP, I have a strong astigmatism. All the different lenses I've ever had took/take a few minutes to settle down, but once settled they are great.

The trial is as much to check fit for you, as it is for you to see if you get on with lenses. Talk to the optician, they may change the lenses. Mine certainly checks out the fit every time I have a contact lens check up.

PS, I use monthly disposables, don't know if that would make a difference.

Onynx Thu 26-Apr-18 13:43:15

I've found J&J Trueye acuvue daily disposable lenses to be literally the only lenses that work for me. All others either pop out or move or are extremely irritating....

StarUtopia Thu 26-Apr-18 13:45:01

I have worse vision and astigmatism. I use Focus Dailies. Just the normal ones. Brilliant. They're monthly disposables. Tbh, the optician keeps telling me there are better ones etc...I've tried loads of 'better' one but find these are the most comfortable for me

Go back and try a different make.

I've worn lenses for 25 yrs so know what feels right etc and some I've tried were awful and would have put me off lenses for life if they'd have been the first time I'd tried.

QueenRefusenik Thu 26-Apr-18 13:47:50

Apparently I have quite severe astigmatism in one eye but although I've been wearing lenses for years they're just the normal air optix ones - never had a problem and corrected eyesight is perfect (much to my new optician's very vocal bemusement!). Do you really need to wear torics at all?

sluj Thu 26-Apr-18 13:48:08

Ive worn Toric lenses for 30 years now and do fine with them.
Mention the problem to your optician.
Or you can gently rotate the lens on your eye with a clean finger to get it in the right position though that might be a skill you get after 30 years.

PS opticians, I know that's naughty

Calledyoulastnightfromglasgow Thu 26-Apr-18 14:02:57

I use Focus Dailies too!

tinydancer88 Thu 26-Apr-18 14:32:05

I had this problem (toric lens in one eye, never really settling right), spoke to the optician, swapped to another brand and now it settles after about 30 seconds or a couple of blinks.

I wouldn't give up on lenses totally, there are several things that could be changed/tweaked first to improve comfort and vision.

SargeantAngua Thu 26-Apr-18 15:49:13

Thanks again for all the replies. Had them in about 3 hours now. Been to knitting group on my scooter - outside isn't too bad but close up I just can't see very well. Knitting was hard. Hopefully I can try some different ones after my check up next week.

KathyBeale Thu 26-Apr-18 15:54:36

I wear toric lenses too and have done for years. Mine do take a little while to settle when I first put them in, and I also rotate them with my finger to get them right (shhh!). If you put them on your fingertip and hold them up to the light, there should be a mark on them that goes at the bottom - sometimes a dot or two dots. That helps get them in the right place.
Some days mine never feel right, others they are fine right away. I definitely don’t see as well out of my lenses as my glasses, but they are good enough.

dingdongdigeridoo Thu 26-Apr-18 16:02:21

I have an astigmatism and started off with toric lenses. They can be awkward, as I found I had to put them in the right way with the markings at the bottom, otherwise they were uncomfortable.

In the end I switched to basic lenses for day to day stuff, as they’re fine for driving, walking around etc. I then switch to glasses on days where I’m doing a lot of computer stuff or reading. I just buy my lenses online a month at a time.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: