Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

How long did it take you to feel like yourself again post- birth?

(35 Posts)
Givemethebiggestslice Thu 26-Apr-18 12:23:01

I'm due very soon with first child. It's not been a fun pregnancy - severe sickness in first trimester; chest infection; acid sickness from week 25 onwards... I was projectile vomiting last week at 34 weeks. Plus just 'little' things like having thrush on and off and the constant funny taste in my mouth.

I've piled on the pounds, mainly due to having to eat constantly to keep the sickness at bay.

I used to be size 8 and really sporty and take some pride in my appearance, but I haven't been able to exercise at all due to sickness and I literally haven't had the energy some days to wash my hair, get dressed.

I'm worried as I've still got to get through the birth and then I will have a newborn.....

I'm not expecting miracles and know that some things will never go back to how they were, but how long was it before you started to feel like your old self again? Can anyone give me some hope?!

LuluBellaBlue Thu 26-Apr-18 12:28:16

How about starting now doing daily thing for yourself because you love yourself.
No matter how small, a nice meal, candlelit bath, a walk etc.
Just keep nurturing yourself till you feel back to normal.
I never felt this way, with pregnancy but have felt this way after other events.
HTH smile

HoppingPavlova Thu 26-Apr-18 12:30:58

17 years and still waiting ......

retainertrainer Thu 26-Apr-18 12:32:25

In all honesty it took a good 2/3 years (I’ve got one DS) and even then it was a different version of me.

Givemethebiggestslice Thu 26-Apr-18 12:38:56

I'm prepared for it to be a different version of me.... I just want to know how long until I no longer feel sick, exhausted, fed up.

Hoe long before I can contemplate doing some exercise and actually put on a nice outfit and some make up and feel vaguely attractive again

Cleo2628 Thu 26-Apr-18 12:40:36

After pains - bad for two weeks, completely normal after about a month.

Pysically it just crept up on me but I definitely felt myself again by 2 months!

Your body is creating life, how amazing! Just focus on that xx

Justanotherzombie Thu 26-Apr-18 12:41:34

For me
-3 weeks to regain some sort of normal mobility
-6 weeks to feel well and more like myself
-6 months to deflate to a more normal weight for me
-1yr to really feel like I haven’t had a baby but I only got to 1 yr love without already being pregnant and very sick all over again.

Justanotherzombie Thu 26-Apr-18 12:42:05

Love=once

LastOneDancing Thu 26-Apr-18 12:42:29

My youngest is just 2 and I'd say it's taken this long for me to feel like I have my own identity again.

I'm more focussed at work, see my friends regularly, run and DH and I have escaped for a whole weekend together. I've accepted the changes in my body and feel more interested in style and beauty again.

But as PP said - I will never feel like my old self as my life and priorities have changed immeasurably since the birth of DS1.

I wouldn't change it for the world smile

LOliver123 Thu 26-Apr-18 12:44:58

It didn’t take me too long, a few weeks I think. I went and got my hair coloured a few days after we were discharged home from hospital (I had been in a week). Although during my pregnancy I had weekly blow drys and I had really enjoyed my pregnancy. Take some time of your week now for some treats Xx

LastOneDancing Thu 26-Apr-18 12:45:27

Oh sorry just read your update.

After 3 weeks the fog started to clear and I felt mildly human.

After the 6 week check I found a mum & baby exercise class. The weight peeled off with BF, walking and a sensible diet.

I was looking fairly good by 6 months after?! It's all gone to pot again now.

Waitingonasmiley42 Thu 26-Apr-18 12:46:01

I had elcs this time! Stopped bleeding 8 weeks after, back to gym 8 weeks after (light exercise), running 13 weeks after. I think from 12 weeks I felt back to normal except breastfeeding and exhaustion.

kaytee87 Thu 26-Apr-18 12:47:00

I still don't... he's 21 months.
You just find a new normal.

Lightsong Thu 26-Apr-18 12:47:55

My DS has just turned 13m, and I didn't really feel 'switched on' again till about 3 weeks pp (had EMCS though).

I felt like me again after that but since my DS is such a crap sleeper (still!) and the worlds most velcro-y velcro baby I still haven't lost any weight, despite BF angry

QueenofSerene Thu 26-Apr-18 12:48:59

I’ve got a 14mth old and 13wk old so I’m fairly new to this “Mum” business, I remember DH saying something to me a few months after our DD was born where he said “you can’t do that, you’re a mother now” and I was shocked and like “am I?”. It’s surreal. I don’t think you ever truly feel like “you” again to be honest.

Going back to work when my DD was 4 months old was huge, it really put the wind in my sails for being more like “old” me again but still a different “me”. So I think you just have to consider what parts of “you” you relate to most heavily in your identity and try and focus on that (for me it is my career).

PootlingPombo Thu 26-Apr-18 12:49:10

I felt almost normal by 1 year old and then completely normal just before 2

KatnissK Thu 26-Apr-18 13:07:27

DS is 10 months now and I feel ok. I do have weight to lose still but it's gradually coming off and I have time to exercise. I found recovery from birth the hardest (but I had quite a few complications which hopefully you won't have to deal with!) and the sleep deprivation is tough in the first few months but I reckon from about 6 months on I have been feeling more myself.

user1471459936 Thu 26-Apr-18 13:16:14

It's so tough! But you will get there. I did a lot of walking, pushing pram, a few weeks after birth which helped me get fresh air, exercise and lose weight. By 3 months post partum I could run 5km (was a runner before). But it really took a year to be properly back to full fitness, feel normal, back in pre-pregnancy clothes. Though I did put on 6 stone! I was also a very fit size 8 before.

Best of luck!

QueenOfMyWorld Thu 26-Apr-18 13:28:10

18 months

OdileDeCaray Thu 26-Apr-18 13:29:31

Everyone is different. Physically I returned back to how I was very quickly. Emotionally I became different as before it was all about me but afterwards it was all about the children and I was happy to put them first.

As you have put on a lot of weight whilst being pregnant you might find that it comes off more quickly than you thought as you can be as active as you like after you've had the baby. Well, I would test for the first week but then you're up and at 'em!

If it's any consolation I hated being pregnant, I felt dreadful the whole time and certainly didn't glow but I had very easy labours, I hope you so as well.

user1484167681 Thu 26-Apr-18 13:38:16

My little one is only 12 weeks old, and in some respects things are getting back to normal(!). I’ve been lucky with a good sleeper though. There is hope, OP!

After four weeks, I made a point of actually getting dressed out of pjs every day, wearing some make up etc. Being able to sleep in any position I liked, again, meant I felt more “normal” from the first night back home. I gained double what you’re meant to during pregnancy, and have lost probably two thirds of that by now, without any actual exercise. Don’t be upset if it takes your stomach two months to go down as your uterus contracts (I was! Had an emergency section, which likely didn’t help). And having thrush is no “small” thing in my book- but it will likely go as soon as baby is out. Hang in there!

Mousefunky Thu 26-Apr-18 13:39:36

I had three DC in the space of 2.5 years and piled on six stone in that time. It was hard and most days I was completely on autopilot barely making it through the day, felt like a zombie. I’d say I only got back to any sense of ‘normality’ when the youngest was two and I started to finally get serious about losing the weight.

Frith1975 Thu 26-Apr-18 13:40:49

Physically - about half an hour.

Mentally - nearly 18 years and still waiting.

smilingthroughgrittedteeth Thu 26-Apr-18 13:43:48

I hate being pregnant so for me I felt better as soon as I'd given birth then by 6 months I was definitely back to the new version of the old me.

I have 3 children under 3 the youngest being 8 weeks and I can honestly say I feel pretty much back to normal just a bit more tired.

3stonedown Thu 26-Apr-18 13:44:06

It took me about a week to be able to move around easily and not feel my vagina would fall out when I walked down the stairs. But I don't think that's what you meant.

Mentally I was fine from about 2 weeks but I wasn't truly myself again until about 14 months.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: