Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

How does it work when school refer to Educational Psychologists?

(6 Posts)
lostmymindandmarbles Thu 26-Apr-18 09:15:36

I have been told by my school that there is a waiting list for Educational Psychologist referral (this may be true) And that the school are currently discussing the case load with the Ed Psych and when they have a date for the EP to come in they will let me know.

My understanding is that a actual referral needs to be made, they then have to respond within 6 weeks and even if the school apply on my behalf they will always reply to me as the parent (see attachment taken from Ipsea website) not me waiting until the school give me a meeting date?

I can’t help thinking that yet again the school are fobbing me off and just delaying

LARLARLAND Thu 26-Apr-18 09:17:47

They won't be fobbing you off. It will be a funding issue causing huge waiting times.

Checklist Thu 26-Apr-18 09:31:19

It looks to me like OP is looking at the section of the IPSEA website on request for an assessment for an EHC plan? The LA have to consider the request, and if they agree to go ahead with the assessment, then they must arrange an assessment by an Ed Psy and any other relevant professionals, including those reasonably requested by the parents.

The timescales are in the SEN CoP and IPSEA’s website. Funding problems and waiting lists do not come into it, during an assessment for an EHC plan, because the procedure is laid down in The Children and Families Act 2014.

Did you put in a request for an assessment for an EHC plan OP?

mastershelp Thu 26-Apr-18 09:42:15

When ds needed an EP assessment the school (and paediatrician) told me that every school has a quota of EP referrals per year and that the dc go on a triage list, so it isn't even a 'first come first served' process.

LARLARLAND Thu 26-Apr-18 09:47:31

It's a funding issue in overstretched LEAs where there are more referrals than Ed pyschs can cope with.

Agent13 Thu 26-Apr-18 09:52:16

School won’t be fobbing you off in my opinion. Why would they? I’m sure it’s in their interests to get the referral/assessment/diagnosis or whatever. It’s just that everything’s overstretched nowadays.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: