Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Why does Yonique seem to create such dramatic, theatrical behaviour!?

(58 Posts)
alltoomuchrightnow Wed 25-Apr-18 22:46:53

Yes, I know, another thread.
I have a few friends, real life and just Facebook, who are sellers (Yes I"m aware if FB only, they are not really friends).
Not a day goes by without some dramatic outburst or announcement from one or all of these women.
Example.. when it was hot last week, one kept up with the smug posts about being her own mummy boss and how she could choose when she wanted to work and take time off to play in the garden with her kids. How she felt sorry for any women missing out on 'making memories' etc and how her kids would thank her for it when older. A few days later and she's 'made a big decision' and can't keep it to herself much longer. She drags this out for a while, lots of cryptic posts (resulting in many 'ok hun? PM you's) before announcing she's leaving Yonique because it's not what she thought it was, she's working too hard and not achieving her targets and wants to free herself to spend more time with her kids.
But is this the end of it?? No. Yesterday she does a 'live' , filled with plenty of dramatic pauses. Clutching hands to heart several times. Big gulps. Tears, reaching for the tissues. It's better than Gwyneth at the Oscars. Comments spring up from fellow huns, telling her to be brave and that they find her inspirational. She keeps asking for support and handholding. It's like someone's just died . And at the end of it.. oh no..she's not leaving them after all. She's merely going to make some changes to how she works. The huns are beside themselves. She's so brave. One even offers to pray for her, hun.
I hate to say I'm not even slightly exaggerating any of this.
Is this the norm?! It seems to be with all the sellers I know. Yet I can't imagine anyone I know in a real job, making announcements like this, going live because they got a new job or are leaving a job.
Does Yonique actually encourage this diva behaviour for publicity?

EmmaGrundyForPM Wed 25-Apr-18 22:49:38

As far as I can tell all MLM s demand these sorts of theatricals. I've had a couple of friends get caught up in Forever Living and it's the same sort of thing. And don't get me started on Juice Plus....

SoftlyCatchyMonkey1 Wed 25-Apr-18 22:50:16

I can't really add anything useful but have you read ellebeaublog? It talks about younique and what's they're like...it's actually quite funny....hun

alltoomuchrightnow Wed 25-Apr-18 22:54:36

I've seen extracts of it on here! Will take another look while I'm still amused ;)

babyinthacorner Wed 25-Apr-18 22:55:09

I know a few people in Arbonne. It's like a cult. So weird. A few of them have become VERY successful and rich from what I can see, but it does seem as though they've sold their souls...

OdileDeCaray Wed 25-Apr-18 22:58:15

I think this was the brand that I brought a Mascara from before I realised it was a MLM scheme and I left an honest review that the mascara wasn't all that.

It was like I'd called someone's baby ugly as I had a barrage of Younique people on Facebook explode with rage and insult me for saying it was just an average mascara and I wouldn't repurchase!

They appeared to have been brainwashed!

It was rather amusing!

TuTru Wed 25-Apr-18 22:59:55

Must be all that empowering it causes lol

YouBetterWORK Wed 25-Apr-18 23:01:18

Better than Gywneth at the Oscars.... 😅

EmmaGrundyForPM Thu 26-Apr-18 16:36:01

There's a thread on here somewhere about MLM bots. I don't know how to link to it though.

DeniseBest Thu 26-Apr-18 16:57:20

I have a friend who is a MLM bot for a juice/diet/ healthy living company.

A few weeks ago, we had days of overexcited but elusive statuses on Facebook about a "very exciting announcement" coming and being unable to keep it to herself for much longer etc etc. Along with hashtags #lifechanging #excitedmumma #busymum #excitingtimesahead and the like.
Everyone thought she was expecting another baby.

It was a new flavour shake..

reallyanotherone Thu 26-Apr-18 17:02:07

That reminds me. My sane friend, and her sane husband, who suddenly went mental for some new mlm and seemed to be going on loads of free trips to vegas etc has gone silent. Must go stalk..

Bananajam Thu 26-Apr-18 18:13:19

My lovely work colleague is a Younique seller and is quite high up in the UK sales targets, she works part time and spends more than she earns I'm sure despite having regular customers who buy a ridiculous amount of make-up. Her ideal is to be able to leave work but she says that it'll never happen, she's too far down the food chain to replace her salary with just MLM alone. Recently she spent on three bottle of the most awful smelling perfumes at £48 per bottle for 30mls. It's been mostly used as air freshener..

I wasnt thrilled with the idea that I was joining an office with an MLM seller but she is now a good friend and doesn't push her products to us. She does do very dramatic "live streaming" though but I can ignore that!

alltoomuchrightnow Thu 26-Apr-18 19:50:57

There's another friend disillusioned with Yonique..she's now switched to a hair product MLM scheme.. an avalanche of cryptic posts and photos of her newly washed hair but oh so secretive... several have asked her for the brand.. nope, it won't be announced yet.. she's not ready..that will be in her 'live', you have to be invited..
Jeez, I can imagine the reaction from my mates if I got excited about a new shampoo...

alltoomuchrightnow Thu 26-Apr-18 19:53:41

oh - the dramatic chest clutching woman..is now offering people money if they can prove that their (non fake) lashes are better than hers with the poo-nique mascara. Apparently she'll give them £19.00 if they have better lashes.
Yeh right.

TrudeauGirl Thu 26-Apr-18 20:11:02

I have a friend like this

Bad skin?- younique can cure it
Dry lips- younique can cure it
Fear of spiders- special younique limited product can cure it

I don't care for their overpriced products.

whiteroseredrose Thu 26-Apr-18 20:59:01

Dammit I don't know anyone who is into MLM. I feel like I'm missing out!

Namastethefuckawayfromme Thu 26-Apr-18 21:06:41

Is the shampoo Monat?
They're getting sued in the US as the products cause serious skin damage to people's scalps.

fruityb Thu 26-Apr-18 21:08:52

Read Elle beau as others have said!

Mine is now changing lives apparently. Sharing and saying how busy she is - yet her posts go uncommented on, she thanks people for shares when there haven’t been any and the eeeeeeks about new products are cringeworthy.

I genuinely think it’s akin to a cult. The sheer excitement over a lipstick is insane!!

OddBoots Thu 26-Apr-18 21:12:39

I'm not a high end make up person so I haven't bought any but a couple of my FB friends sell it and neither is dramatic about it. I'm not sure there is anything inherently theatrical about it.

stayhomeclub Thu 26-Apr-18 21:13:11

I have one bot who I love to watch on Facebook, a real ‘mum boss’ planning her bizniss at Costa and benefiting from being able to stay home with her kids anytime they pump up their breakfast.

I can see how people buy into this, I know better now I’ve read Elle’s blog mentioned above but it does make you think that you are the mug, going out to work for pittance whilst these people craft the illusion of a dream lifestyle.

alltoomuchrightnow Thu 26-Apr-18 21:47:31

I think so, Namaste

parttimebored Thu 26-Apr-18 21:51:18

I think we have the same friend although she's moved on to selling bitcoin now grin

alltoomuchrightnow Thu 03-May-18 21:12:35

Poonique lady seems to be back to 'normal', with offers for customers and appealing photos of her half used , grubby looking products (inc dirty brushes) rather than of new stuff. And liking ALL her own posts on Poonique.

DOOOSH444 Thu 03-May-18 21:31:13

Haha great post, hun.

PP hit nail on the head that they sell their souls.

My biggest annoyance (out of many) is that they use before pictures that are real then their after picture is heavily filtered, good lighting, full of smiles and happiness.
And people actually fall for it!! Wtf

dingdongdigeridoo Thu 03-May-18 21:34:14

Oh god, the bitcoiners are sometimes worse than the MLMers.

I think poonique and similar tend to attract a certain type. Gullible and will fall for the stupid ‘making memories’ type bollocks. Not much else going on in their life. Stick a bunch of them on Facebook with too much time on their hands and, well...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: