Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Kefir

(48 Posts)
Coconutandcoriander Wed 25-Apr-18 21:34:37

I’ve bought some kefir to help my tummy, but I’m finding the idea of actually drinking it a bit off putting. Do you just drink it straight, or can you mix it with something to make
It nicer? I’ve not even tasted it yet and I’m convinced it’s going to be minging.

TheVastMajority Wed 25-Apr-18 21:37:54

It tastes like plain yoghurt, you can drink it straight from the bottle.

That said, I have mine with granola in the morning - bowl of granola, milk, kefir and sometimes a spoon or two of yoghurt too...

PurpleWithRed Wed 25-Apr-18 21:38:22

DH is a convert to Kefir, he swigs it neat from the bottle when he opens the fridge. He has the goat's milk one. Swears by it: "first decent shit I've had in 18 months". First swig was a bit startling but he is completely used to it now.

8oOoOoOo8 Wed 25-Apr-18 21:40:20

I bought a cherry flavoured one from Sainsbury's on Sunday. It just tasted like a yoghurt drink. I've since been reading about the benefits!

8oOoOoOo8 Wed 25-Apr-18 21:41:11

I had never heard about it before Sunday - now it's everywhere! (Can't remember the term for that!

Andylion Wed 25-Apr-18 21:57:02

My friend uses it in smoothies.

bluerunningshoes Wed 25-Apr-18 21:58:38

I like it just plain, or with a tiny sprinkling of cinnamon & sugar.
but the dc like it mixed with fruit puree.

rosamore Wed 25-Apr-18 22:00:04

I have it in my smoothie in the morning instead of yoghurt. Lovely.

stayathomegardener Wed 25-Apr-18 22:03:03

I make my own from goats milk.
Initially I was a bit horrified by it. Now I love it, knock back half a pint neat every morning.
I've got too much at the moment but can't bring myself to throw some away, it's alive like a pet. #overinvested

BrownTurkey Wed 25-Apr-18 22:03:59

I really like two types I have tried - but I love that sour sharp yoghurt taste. I just drink it. But I tried a similar Polish product from ocado and it was like drinking cottage cheese. That one was a bit more challenging.

EnidButton Wed 25-Apr-18 22:04:21

It just tastes like runny yogurt. It's nice. I buy a cherry one and really like it.

Mrsramsayscat Wed 25-Apr-18 22:08:31

The cherry one is yum. I have bought some grains online to try, but I've not started yet. I wonder how you get that cherry flavour?

bluerunningshoes Wed 25-Apr-18 22:10:13

@stayathomegardener if you produce too much, you can strain it through a coffee filter. makes cream cheese.

lljkk Wed 25-Apr-18 22:38:14

We had it in the 1970s & I thought of it as junk food then! Funny it's being rebooted as health food.

AndhowcouldIeverrefuse Wed 25-Apr-18 22:43:03

I just drink it straight but then I like the sour yoghurty taste. It never occurred to me you can flavour it <ponders cinnamon and sugar>

EnidButton Wed 25-Apr-18 23:10:46

Mrsram I drink this to help with joint pain www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/active-edge-ltd-cherry-concentrate-shot-30ml-60098065?skuid=083710 It's concentrated cherry juice, you drink it diluted but I bet a teaspoon.
or two mixed into the kefir would taste good.

JustBeingJobless Wed 25-Apr-18 23:18:33

I grow my own kefir. Started doing it for the dog, as she’s got colitis and it’s good for settling her tummy, but I have it myself as well as it multiplies like mad! It’s just tastes like watery yoghurt and takes a bit of getting used to, but I use it to make porridge and stuff.

EnidButton Wed 25-Apr-18 23:29:52

Is it easy to make then? I had assumed it would be tricky so have just been buying it ready made but it's pretty expensive. Maybe I should try doing my own.

boomboom1234 Wed 25-Apr-18 23:34:39

Are people finding it is making them feel better? Have yet to try but did read some positive stuff.

LittleBirdBlues Wed 25-Apr-18 23:34:57

I grew up drinking it and love the taste! Especially in a warm day, so refreshing.

You can blend it with (frozen) fruit or add a pinch of salt.

OdileDeCaray Wed 25-Apr-18 23:39:28

I've not had it for years! It was always a bit hippy dippy!
However, I recently met a lovely couple who had a dog similar to mine be they told me that a few months prior the dog had nearly died. The vet thought he'd eaten something which had caused gastric problems resulting in the poor dog being very sick and losing a substantial amount of weight. When he got better his appetite was poor and they started giving him Kefir as they had started eating/drinking it themselves and they were convinced it had saved their dog from wasting away as he hit his appetite back and surprised the vet with his progress.

FluffyFerrets Wed 25-Apr-18 23:52:56

I began drinking it when I lived in Poland. I still drink it. Natural flavour, shake, shake,shake the bottle to thin it out and down it goes. I neither like nor detest the taste, Iv'e got used to it. I treat it as if it was medicine.
It has massively helped my digestive system. Before I started drinking it I had a really sensitive stomach and digestive tract. My bowel was sluggish and slow. Now I have no problems. I also find it helps if I drink it before I eat something with fat (Long story short = I had my gallbladder out but still sometimes get the same pain/issues due to having biliary colic - which is the name given because DR's have no clue why its happening )
So yeah, I'm a big Kefir fan smile

BackforGood Thu 26-Apr-18 00:05:47

What is it ?

ShovingLeopard Thu 26-Apr-18 00:09:45

It's fizzy milk hmm

What's not to love?!

JustBeingJobless Thu 26-Apr-18 00:10:20

Enid it’s surprisingly easy to make. I use a Kilmer jar with a muslin lid thingy and just keep it well topped up with milk. The grains multiply like crazy if it gets a bit warm though, but if you pop it in the fridge it slows right down. I just strain the liquid off into a bottle and keep it in the fridge. If the grains grow too much, I chuck a spoonful in the dogs dinner as she likes them.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: