Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Help!! What can I do about acne scars after accutane?

(12 Posts)
GinThereDoneThat Wed 25-Apr-18 14:28:15

I have always struggled with acne, since I was about 11. Two years ago I went on Accutane for 7 months which cleared me right up - now I only get one or two spots a month which is fab grin

The only problem is I have quite bad scarring on my face, because quite simply I was a twat and picked/squeezed spots when I specifically got told to leave them alone blush
Does anyone have any creams/oils they'd recommend? smile

LtheWife Wed 25-Apr-18 14:51:39

In my experience it depends on the type of scarring. If you're trying to deal with pitted scarring then you're going to be looking at something like micro needling or fractional laser to try and boost collagen production which should help smooth everything out. I'm not aware of anything you can apply topically will make enough of a difference to be noticeable unfortunately as the problem is so much deeper.

If it's pigmented scarring then daily use of a proper sunscreen, literally 365 days a year, to help prevent the formation of new pigmentation whilst allowing the old pigmentation to fade should help. Now you're far enough on from accurate treatment you could use some exfoliating acids (something like a glycol acid toner) alongside the sunscreen to speed things up a bit. The Ordinary have a recommended regimen for pigmentation issues that could be worth looking at too. But overall it's time and minimising further damage (sunscreen) that makes the real difference when it comes to fading pigmented scars.

GinThereDoneThat Wed 25-Apr-18 23:50:24

Thanks very much - suncream it is!!

OdileDeCaray Wed 25-Apr-18 23:52:48

Dermabrasion may help you.

Dustin Hoffman had acne and before they filmed the Graduate he allegedly had dermabrasion.

Make sure whoever you see is qualified.

OdileDeCaray Wed 25-Apr-18 23:54:35

www.facingacne.com/dermabrasion-answer-acne-scars/

BagelGoesWalking Thu 26-Apr-18 00:24:48

A lot of ppl have success with Vit C products. However, they are strong and can burn if you misuse them.

You could start with a gentle formulation like MAP from the Ordinary and slowly work your way up to stronger ones from their range.

They also have Azelaic Acid which can also be helpful.

GinThereDoneThat Thu 26-Apr-18 09:12:40

Thanks very much! I'm currently using a vitamin C oil from facetheory which is good, but just hoping to speed things up! God problem skin is a nightmare grin

BagelGoesWalking Thu 26-Apr-18 10:59:33

The face theory was recommended to me as a good brand. I think you have to be patient as these things take time. It's very tempting to go bonkers and try stronger and stronger acids/peels but it takes time for the skin to renew and, personally, I see a lot of ppl creating more havoc by not being patient.

You could look at adding more hydration - if you don't have a hydrating toner, that could be good. I think the Korean ones are the best. Gothamista and Liah Yoo do some great videos about hydration and acne type skin.

The other thing is Alpha Arbutin. The Ordinary does one which is also said to help with pigmentation.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 26-Apr-18 11:31:51

Try an led mask, the red light produces collagen and speeds healing up.

I love mine.

GinThereDoneThat Thu 26-Apr-18 14:52:58

Thanks everyone - that's the worst part about scars and stretchmarks and lumps and bumps.. they take bloody ages to sort out!!! And in this day and age we're all so impatient grin

donners312 Thu 26-Apr-18 16:09:51

micro needling or IPL?

WeirdyMcBeardy Thu 26-Apr-18 16:27:19

Following. I have marks on my face in the area I get spots and nothing is shifting it completely.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: