Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Help me choose a nanny !

(41 Posts)
stuckintheblastingsnow Tue 24-Apr-18 21:47:15

Hello,

A month ago, I put up an AD to see who can help provide childcare for my youngest who has Autism.

I have received some replies but I need help in choosing a nanny.

Candidate 1: Has all the experience. It’s like the perfect CV. Has huge experience in teaching children with Autism, actually used to be a special needs teacher.

Cons: CV seems too good to be true. All of her experience & education is from abroad (where she is, I assume, is originally from). No experience in the UK, not a problem, but I fear accessing references would be an issue. She also drives, which may be a plus to some, but it poses a safety risk for me and I’ll be liable to pay mileage.

Candidate 2: Has very good work ethic experience.

Cons: She has No experience, in any capacity, working with children, especially children with SEN.

Candidate 3: A student, seems quite good, has little experience in working with children with SEN.

Cons: I know this is bad, but I searched this person on social media and she takes drugs... not hardcore drugs, just weed, but I’m just cautious. Plus, as she’s a student she may not be as flexible.

Which candidate would you most likely interview ? If not, I’m going to go through an agency.

SirVixofVixHall Tue 24-Apr-18 21:50:12

Candidate 1 and probably 2. I wouldn’t want a student who smokes weed.

OdileDeCaray Tue 24-Apr-18 21:50:49

No to the last two and depends on which country the first one is from.

TheIsland Tue 24-Apr-18 21:51:21

stuckintheblastingsnow Tue 24-Apr-18 21:53:08

old she’s from Poland.

Bryzoan Tue 24-Apr-18 21:56:01

I would interview the first 2, and include discussing some challenging scenarios they might face to get an understanding of likely approaches.

EmmaC78 Tue 24-Apr-18 21:57:34

I would interview 1 and 2 and start making enquiries with agencies in the background in case neither are suitable.

Bobbybobbins Tue 24-Apr-18 21:57:35

Hmm I'm not sold on any of them. Having 2 DS with autism I would definitely want someone with experience. Lack of references would be an issue but if number 1 has them I would interview her.

VladmirsPoutine Tue 24-Apr-18 22:00:02

I've smoked weed and done all sorts in my student days. Unless you have always been a paragon of virtue don't write off candidate 3. Her only fault is to not be able to sort her security and visibility settings on social media. I've managed thus far in life pretty well despite spending most of my student days in a nebulous stupor.

StylishMummy Tue 24-Apr-18 22:01:25

1 - possibly
2 - did you get the feeling they'd be out of their depth?
3 - no way

stuckintheblastingsnow Tue 24-Apr-18 22:03:14

True Vald... Candidates 3 CV is actually good and ambitious ! But she’s a student and may not be as flexible...know I shouldnt discriminate because of the weed..it’s just hard cause it’s my DS and I want him to be around food Role Models.

stuckintheblastingsnow Tue 24-Apr-18 22:05:20

Stylish

Not really. She has a very good work ethic and really good experience. The only issue is that she has No experience, whatsoever with children, especially children with SEN.

LorelaiVictoriaGilmore Tue 24-Apr-18 22:07:27

I'd interview candidate 1. I'm confused why her being able to drive is a problem. What's the safety risk? If there's a safety risk and you don't want to pay her mileage, why wouldn't you tell her she needs to take public transport when travelling with your kids?

But I'd be making preliminary enquiries with an agency at the same time as interviewing candidate 1.

I interviewed more than 10 nannies (with interviews lasting up to an hour and a half, so I was really grilling them) and then did three second round interviews before choosing. Unless you are incredibly lucky, you are likely to need to spread the net and wider.

VladmirsPoutine Tue 24-Apr-18 22:09:58

I'd go with 3. Power to the stoners. Students are actually a lot more flexible than anyone else tbh. I'd write off candidate 1, not sure about candidate 2. But candidate 3 has my vote. I graduated from Oxford whilst high off my tits. I'm still here to tell the tale!

GoldilocksAndTheThreePears Tue 24-Apr-18 22:20:46

I was a nanny for over 10 years. I know I wouldn't employ someone without references and qualifications, level 3 in childcare and paediactric first aid as a minimum. As an employer you are just that, the boss, so if you don't want a nanny to drive you stipulate don't drive with child. If you plan to use childcare vouchers you would need someone ofsted registered, qualified, with insurance. The role will also differ completely if sole-charge or parent at home, age of all children, whether you need someone to do medical appointments etc.

stuckintheblastingsnow Tue 24-Apr-18 22:34:54

Lore I guess I would feel more comfortable If she takes DS out and about in public, to begin with, till I know her better. Also she lives quite far away from us, I doubt she would use public transport, I would ask.

Vlad... Still not sure, I don’t want the person to be high whilst looking after DS.

Littlechocola Tue 24-Apr-18 22:38:12

Number 1 without a doubt. Trial basis.

IveGotNoClothes Tue 24-Apr-18 23:05:43

Can't imagine she'd even consider looking after a child whilst high.....the last thing anyone wants to do is run around after a child whilst high.

Pretty sure cocaine is the drug of choice when it comes to having to run around.

IronicWitttUsername Tue 24-Apr-18 23:08:24

1. Obviously.

You don't need to let her drive your son. She can get the bus with him or walk. Although you will still need to pay bus tickets.

CruCru Tue 24-Apr-18 23:22:46

From your OP, you like the look of candidate 1 - otherwise you wouldn’t have listed them first and written the most about them.

VladmirsPoutine Tue 24-Apr-18 23:32:24

Don't go with candidate 1.

stuckintheblastingsnow Tue 24-Apr-18 23:42:13

Vlad why not candidate number 1 ?

Ivegot I hope your not serious !

Cru 1 has the most experience out of the bunch.

Another factor is, as DS is a boy and is 7, I will prefer if the nanny to be a male.

Onceuponatimethen Tue 24-Apr-18 23:46:08

My concern with candidate one is whether polish care/education for students with asd is in line with that here and your views. If it is very different that could be a problem.

It’s very difficult with references that are hard to check. I know someone who employed someone from overseas (as it happens also former eastern bloc country) with amazing refs/experience but when she turned up from her performance he was pretty sure the cv was faked.

stuckintheblastingsnow Wed 25-Apr-18 00:09:09

Exactly Once. I have the same concerns.

ingreed Wed 25-Apr-18 00:22:17

I'd go with 3. Most people I know smoke weed here and there but never around children. She's young and she'll have energy patience and understanding and she'll want to learn and be eager to do a good job. I'm sure she'd never smoke around him and they'd have fun together. Could not be like that though. Who knows?! Sounds best out of the 3 to me though.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: