Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

DLA-PIP transfer has been decided...

(15 Posts)
Becca19962014 Tue 24-Apr-18 19:55:04

So, I got my notice today saying I've got enhanced care and standard mobility for five years (or given my ESA experience less). I didn't have a medical it was on my form and evidence alone.

I had an appointment with my social worker who had the paperwork (my benefit post goes to them). I've a lot going wrong right now (involving safeguarding and stalking) and, I should be really, really happy except I'm not. It's devastated me that I got over 20 points for care - they weren't even points given in the areas expected where I have most needs, like washing and dressing.

My social worker told me to appeal because I should have got much much higher for mobility and for my care needs in some crucial areas, as some needs are marked much less and they've said ive got the absolute minimum dwp can get away with giving me as I'm much more disabled than the points imply but I cannot face doing that, I burst into tears when she suggested it.

They were really confused at to why I found it so upsetting, kept saying how hard it is to get so I should be happy instead I felt even worse. I keep thinking about those I know who deserve it more than me who have been turned down for it altogether. My friend in a wheelchair with
a brain tumour got nothing at all, she deserves it far far more than I do.

I don't know why it's upset me so much.

clippityclock Tue 24-Apr-18 20:03:56

To get enhanced care you need more than 12 points which you have got so there is no point in asking them to review that and you could risk a different person scoring you less. There are only 2 levels so I'm not sure why you social worker suggested appealing over care.

For mobility - can you walk more than 20 metres and do you leave your house? If yes to those then it is unlikely you would score higher for mobility. Some of the scoring for mobility is in regards to cognition so unless you have a learning disability you won't score for some of it. This does confuse people when it comes to scoring. However, if you can't walk for more than 20 metres then get a letter from your GP stating this and appeal. Its doesn't necessarily mean you'd have to have a face to face assessment.

You could be upset because it is telling you in black and white that you are not well and need help. Its not nice for anyone to face and deal with so do something nice for yourself.

Becca19962014 Tue 24-Apr-18 20:12:07

I never expected to get PIP at all and never expected to get it with no medical.

I think the care thing is because they use the scoring sheet when looking at care needs in social services assessments they use the sheet as proof. I don't really know why to be honest I know there's only two rates.

I can't walk more than 20 meters or at all without injury due to severe subluxing knees and hips. I do go out but can't do that distance. I know my GP/consultant has already said about that in their letter.

I couldn't cope with appealing and going back to the court again even though it's unrelated to the assault it's the same room (there's only one).

Maybe it is seeing it in black and white. I been told my depression is bad (so much so people have noticed), that along with knowing others who have had nothing with medicals and letters may be why.

Becca19962014 Tue 24-Apr-18 20:13:13

I sound bloody ungrateful, it's not that, so much as undeserving.

Elflocks Tue 24-Apr-18 21:21:08

flowers Sounds like you've got a lot on your plate right now, op. flowers

Becca19962014 Wed 25-Apr-18 10:31:11

It turns out the reason the social worker wants to appeal is my local authority use the points awarded for pip to decide if someone has soecific care needs or not and none of my points are high enough for me to qualify.

I've got to return my bus pass as well as I didn't score high enough on the descriptor necessary to keep it and I can't afford to pay for my GP to fill in their own medical certificate.

At least now I know.

I still won't be challenging it though.

flopsyrabbit1 Wed 25-Apr-18 14:28:00

the bus pass thing is a shame but you are getting a mobility payment so surely that is what its for helping towards travelling cost

Becca19962014 Wed 25-Apr-18 14:48:08

I spend almost £200 a month on taxis. I didn't use the bus a lot without it I won't at all. It doesn't matter.

Found out today my godmother I was very close to committed suicide so don't care anymore.

Justwhenyouthink Thu 26-Apr-18 10:24:51

Please appeal. Or ask the social worker to handle an appeal if they are your appointee. You may well be one of the lucky ones who gets their award corrected at Mandatory Reconsideration, especially if you can draw the decision maker's attention to the evidence from your GP that you are unable to walk 20m "reliably, repeatedly, safely, and in a timely manner" .

As for the bus pass, would you be allowed to drive? Being medically unfit to drive is a qualification for a bus pass. Either way, you can hang on to it until renewal time, surely.

dangermouseisace Thu 26-Apr-18 12:02:59

I’d appeal...social worker or citizens advice can help. You can go through the report and point out where they got it wrong, explain why, and if you use their points system here (via CAB website) you can say how many points you should have scored. If you put all that on the mandatory reconsideration you put yourself in the best chance of getting the enhanced mobility. If it doesn’t happen at mandatory reconsideration, appeals are largely successful.

Social services should not be using PIP decisions to allocate care, as they bloody well know how unfair the system is. I’d complain about that too- with local MP if no joy as that absolutely isn’t on (I used to work for adult care. The DLA/PIP system has been shit for many years)

Would the bus pass people accept that you are appealing against the decision and allow you to keep your pass based on that? This situation must happen a lot.

Don’t feel bad for being upset. You need and deserve help, and the DWP system as it stands is heartless. You are not ungrateful- you are loosing out until they change their decision flowers

SunnySkiesSleepsintheMorning Thu 26-Apr-18 23:08:11

Social worker should absolutely not be using PIP to evidence care needs. That’s unlawful. Do challenge the decision if you feel it’s unfair but only if you want to for you and not for a social services assessment. I’m quite shocked actually. I only ever ask people what benefits they are receiving in their social care assessment to advise if they should apply for them, not to base my assessment upon the outcome. shock

Becca19962014 Thu 26-Apr-18 23:36:34

I'm not sure about appealing. For a couple of reasons, one the MR could potentially take the care element and two, I've no medical people involved with me anymore as due to cuts there are no outpatient clinics I can get to, even with hospital transport due to severity of pain finally, I cannot cope with going past the court room, never mind into it - I'd need to represent myself, the social worker isn't allowed to and there's no CAB/disability rights. My county has the lowest percentage of benefit claimants and highest number of sanctions and lost appeals as a result in the UK, it's held up as an example of how benefit reform works.

The thing with social services using the points to assess needs is, supposedly, because they need evidence of my needs - seeing me struggling isn't good enough and I don't have any medical care anymore so no way to prove my needs. My GP isn't considered good enough to confirm my needs. So they rely on DWP.

I've spoken to my GP about this as well and they're annoyed I didn't get enhanced mobility and many of the scores I was given were very low (for my needs), they felt when I showed them the point scoring form I was implying it was their fault I didn't get more and they didn't understand my needs - this was not the case at all, I simply wanted them to see what I had.

The fact is on top of this I'm currently going through a major bereavement right now, and, struggling to function at all.

I am reading and will take a copy of this this thread. I'm sorry if I'm not making much sense right now.

Justwhenyouthink Fri 27-Apr-18 08:15:31

flowers So sorry for your loss. You don't need to make a decision this week.

TheBigFatMermaid Fri 27-Apr-18 08:39:30

I spend almost £200 a month on taxis. I didn't use the bus a lot without it I won't at all. It doesn't matter.

Google 'Transport services (your area) and you will likely find a mini bus service, suitable for disabled use that charged bus prices for a taxi style service, door to door. I use one and don't appear to be as disabled as you. I have to book at least 24 hours in advance, which works for some things but nor for others.

Becca19962014 Fri 27-Apr-18 09:24:11

I'll have a look. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: