Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Queen or Princess or something else

(220 Posts)
Undercoverbanana Tue 24-Apr-18 19:50:13

I am not a royalist but with all the chatter around the royal birth, I overheard someone say saything about “Queen Kate”.

Surely she won’t be Queen Kate?

The Queen’s spouse is Prince Philip, not King Philip.

She’ll be Princess Kate, won’t she?

StopBeingNosey Tue 24-Apr-18 19:51:10

If a queen is in charge then their husband stays as prince. If it’s a king then their wife is queen.

kaytee87 Tue 24-Apr-18 19:51:11

Queen consort

HolyMountain Tue 24-Apr-18 19:54:07

Queen Katherine.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Tue 24-Apr-18 19:54:27

She will be when William is king

BossWitch Tue 24-Apr-18 19:54:59

King outranks queen, so that's why Phillip is a prince. Elizabeth is the monarch so her title needs to be highest.

Once William is King, Katherine will be queen as her title will still be lower than the monarch. Officially she'll be queen consort but will just be known as queen Katherine.

dangerrabbit Tue 24-Apr-18 19:57:34

How come she’s not princess now?

kaytee87 Tue 24-Apr-18 19:58:47

@dangerrabbit duchess is higher than princess and technically William is a duke. She could style herself as princess but she'd be princess William (like princess Michael)

kaytee87 Tue 24-Apr-18 20:00:43

And they've all got different titles up here in Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 smile

EdithWeston Tue 24-Apr-18 20:02:31

"How come she’s not princess now?"

Because if not born as HRH Princess Firstname, then you take the married style from your Princely husband, like Princess Michael of Kent, so she could be Princess William of Wales. But that really doesn't go down well any more.

All consorts of Kings have been styled Queen. Consorts of Queens are Princes. OK, someone is bound to come along with a contrary example that's slipped my mind, but that's how it's been for a few centuries.

BossWitch Tue 24-Apr-18 20:02:33

Do they kaytee? I never knew that! What are they?

kaytee87 Tue 24-Apr-18 20:04:23

Earl and Countess of Strathearn for William and Kate

kaytee87 Tue 24-Apr-18 20:05:46

Harry and Meghan will likely be Earl & countess of Ross when they marry

EdithWeston Tue 24-Apr-18 20:05:56

For Prince Charles, it's His Royal Highness Prince Charles Philip Arthur George, Prince of Wales, KG, KT, GCB, OM, AK, QSO, CC, PC, ADC, Earl of Chester, Duke of Cornwall, Duke of Rothesay, Earl of Carrick, Baron of Renfrew, Lord of the Isles and Prince and Great Steward of Scotland.

kaytee87 Tue 24-Apr-18 20:06:21

And probably Duke and Duchess of Sussex

EdithWeston Tue 24-Apr-18 20:07:41

I was rather hoping for the re-creation of the Duke of Clarence for Prince Henry of Wales

(butt of Malmsey seeing quite apposite)

KirstenRaymonde Tue 24-Apr-18 20:10:59

King is higher than Queen. So a ruling Queen’s husband will be a Prince consort, but a King’s wife will be the Queen. So yes, when William is King Kate will be Queen.
The Queen generally bestows titles on marriage, she gave William and Kate a vacant Duchy - Cambridge - she will likely give Harry and Meghan another.

QueenOfTheAndals Tue 24-Apr-18 20:11:04

duchess is higher than princess and technically William is a duke.

Is it? I thought princess of the Blood outranked all ducal titles? So Anne, Bea and Euj curtsy to Kate if William is around (as he outranks them) but the other way around if he isn't.

Incidentally, I'd love to know if the younger royals actually do curtsy to each other when they meet!

dangerrabbit Tue 24-Apr-18 20:12:37

Ok I’m really confused. How come princess Diana was princess Dianna rather than princess Charles then when she was married? Did she become a princess in her own right because married to the first in line to the throne?

radi8tor Tue 24-Apr-18 20:13:14

So, Queen Camilla?

EdithWeston Tue 24-Apr-18 20:14:26

More than you could possibly want to know about order of precedence

www.heraldica.org/topics/britain/order_precedence.htm

And it's different in Scotland, and in other realms and dominions, but on pretty much the same principles

PollyEthel Tue 24-Apr-18 20:16:07

She was Princess Diana because the press wrote of her as that

Eenymeeny123 Tue 24-Apr-18 20:16:21

I was thinking the same thing dangerrabbit and wasn't she also hrh?

twinkledag Tue 24-Apr-18 20:16:24

Princess Diana was a name given by the press which stuck. She should've been Princess Charles of Wales.

SenecaFalls Tue 24-Apr-18 20:17:14

All consorts of Kings have been styled Queen. Consorts of Queens are Princes. OK, someone is bound to come along with a contrary example that's slipped my mind, but that's how it's been for a few centuries.

Here I am with some contrary examples, but it has been a few centuries. Philip of Spain, the husband of Mary I of England was named co-ruler when they married and called King of England. He spent most of his time in Spain, though, and never really functioned as a ruler in England. And his title did not survive Mary, who was succeeded by her sister Elizabeth.

Henry, Lord Darnley, the husband of Mary Queen of Scots, was made King Consort of Scotland.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: