Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

You know what can fuck off?

(52 Posts)
Jinglesplodge Tue 24-Apr-18 13:37:32

Reflux in babies. Poor little things have done nothing to deserve the misery, poor knackered mums have done nothing to deserve the sleeplessness and the desperation to make it better for them.

This is my second baby with reflux. 12 weeks in and we still haven't found exactly the right medication in exactly the right dose to ease it 24 hours a day. I'm shattered. I'm grumpy. I have a 3 year old who is very jealous of the attention the baby is getting, and a baby who can only get any rest by sleeping upright on me. I smell of sick all the time. My back aches from carrying him around at the precise angle that doesn't cause more sick.

Don't worry, it's not a health advice post: I just wanted a massive moan. If you've been here, you'll understand. If you're in the same boat, here's a place for solidarity.

Pass the gin.

N0tfinished Tue 24-Apr-18 13:38:18

ginthanks

Wellfuckmeinbothears Tue 24-Apr-18 13:39:14

My heart goes out to you, reflux is awful x

AornisHades Tue 24-Apr-18 13:40:45

Been there and very glad it's history.
flowers for anyone in the middle of it

Bonelessbanquet Tue 24-Apr-18 13:45:04

We’ve just started aptamil anti reflux, have you tried it? We found gaviscon etc hasn’t helped and baby wasn’t gaining weight. Noticed an improvement on this milk already.

cake it’s shite but hopefully won’t last forever!

Jinglesplodge Tue 24-Apr-18 13:46:58

Thanks. I'm breastfeeding, so he's stuck with my milk ;-) Gaviscon was useless, ranitidine was fantastic but I don't think we've got the dose right yet because it's wearing off between doses. Hopefully once we get it right we'll get the wonder drug effect all the time and not just for periods of the day... Good luck with yours!

BigPinkOrchid Tue 24-Apr-18 13:48:06

Yep. I've been there and I understand.

flowers & gin for you.

BrioLover Tue 24-Apr-18 13:50:03

Reflux can indeed fuck off. DS2 has it and thankfully Ranitidine was the answer for him. He's started weaning now and it's getting better.

gin and thanks for you

Goingalonenow Tue 24-Apr-18 13:51:15

I've been there.

Gaviscon made her constipated. Ranitidine is so weight sensitive that by the time you've got the dose it's pointless.

Add in cmpi and it was all good fun.

Our magic combination was omeprazole dispersible tablets (better than suspension), neocate and carobel. Weaned off all three by a year and taking the milk ladder slowly now.

Good luck.

theyoniwayisnorthwards Tue 24-Apr-18 14:01:35

Oh you poor things OP, nothing helpful to add but hope it passes soon (and congrats on baby)

SlowDown76mph Tue 24-Apr-18 14:02:54

Poor you, it's horrid for baby, and exhausting for parents. You've been through this before, so guess you have already explored causes/solutions? For one of my grandchildren, it turned out they were lactose intolerant (breast milk contains lactose). Child had to go on a special formula (she was failing to thrive) and all was well.

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Tue 24-Apr-18 14:07:26

flowers indeed. I hope it gets easier for you all soon.

PinkSkyAtNightAngelDelight Tue 24-Apr-18 14:08:32

Totally sympathise as I’ve also been there and done it. Reflux which was projectile vomiting every feed (but putting on weight so no one was interested), miserable baby. Severe eczema which turned out to be CMPA. Gaviscon (no vomiting but caused major constipation) ranitidine, nutramigen, Aptamil pepti and finally neocate. Grew out of it aged 2. No problems now.

Ranitidine has to be increased with weight. But it was a life saver for both my children.

Tinkobell Tue 24-Apr-18 14:10:50

Yep. We have it with both of ours ...in both cases it just went overnight. I think it's in the genes maybe? Nothing worked long term other than pacing and a stiff drink. Hang in there!! 💐

CocoaGin Tue 24-Apr-18 14:15:14

My youngest granddaughter had it so badly, DD was a walking zombie after 3 months. She was breastfed and trying to get the medication in her was an utter nightmare. She literally came out of it overnight at 9 months but poor DD said it felt like 9 years. It was a vicious cycle of feed, sick, hungry, feed, sick, hungry. She's still very very small at 18 months. I spent many dog walks that summer with her screaming round the remotest fields I could find with her in a baby carrier to give DD a break!!

DearTeddyRobinson Tue 24-Apr-18 14:17:38

flowers for you both. Been there, got the sick-covered t shirt. Hang in there

Mutiny0nTheBunty Tue 24-Apr-18 14:18:26

Yep twins with reflux and CMPI. Over 6 months now and been off the ranitidine since 4 months.

I feel your pain! Rant away gin

scampimom Tue 24-Apr-18 14:23:48

Oh, WITNESS to that. It's a shit storm, nothing less than utter misery for everyone, and all you can do is wait for it to pass in a few months' time because all the things you do just seem to take the worst off, they don't help the poor wee things feel good at all.

Twoo Tue 24-Apr-18 14:33:51

gin & flowers sad

therealposieparker Tue 24-Apr-18 14:37:38

My last two had it.

Can I recommend a mechanical swing for really effective hands free time?

If you're a bit strapped you can get one on eBay or resell it after, or both.

ILikeYouToo Tue 24-Apr-18 14:40:18

Two of my three had it, I feel your pain. Youngest is on omeprozole still, but trying to wean him off it. Ranitidine didn't work for him, and gaviscon worked for my middle son - but only when he was over one.
It's a hard slog.
My youngest also had CMPI so worth considering if that's making it worse.
Hang on in there, it won't be forever. My youngest (22 months) has just started sleeping through for the first time - I don't know how I coped with sleeping upright on the sofa with him for months, or the continuous breastfeeding to calm him down (ours was silent reflux, not the pukey one). But you do. Hope you've got lots of people around you giving you tea (gin) and sympathy! xx

BlackandWhitePostcards Tue 24-Apr-18 14:49:15

We would baby to sleep in her bouncer on the floor next to our bed. It was a good sturdy bouncer, I know some can be more flimsy. It’s the only way she got any sleep, poor little mite. Might be worth trying (it prob isn’t recommended for safety reasons but like I say, it was a big sturdy bouncing chair and it was the only way she’d be able to sleep without bringing up her milk). Only did it for a few weeks as when she became a bit more mobile we didn’t want to risk her flopping out of chair etc.

Coyoacan Tue 24-Apr-18 14:52:42

My dd found drinking aniseed tea helped

GreenVelvetwithfrills Tue 24-Apr-18 14:52:46

We had this with our boy, not the girls, I breast fed, and still we had reflux, so I combined and used cow and gate anti reflux too. Added to this he wouldn’t latch, and I expressed for months.
( only child like this)

Awful, we contemplated putting a spare car seat in his bed to keep him upright at night, and as it was he had to be upright, at least an hour after every feed. It was difficult.
We did angle his cot with wedge ( bump ) cushions, ( under the mattress, giving a slight incline downwards, and ensured he slept on either side of his body each night, rather than his back.
I think we had infacol, and tried gaviscon too, ( not at the same time) but it was awful, so you have my sympathy

ThisIsThe Tue 24-Apr-18 14:53:18

Reflux can definitely fuck off. I had two dc with it. This is why I only have two dc. My heart goes to you. The miles and miles we walk with children in slings - I have never been so fit.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: