Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

How bad is it to cancel an interview?

(30 Posts)
MrsZB Tue 24-Apr-18 13:01:21

I’ve got a second interview today. I really want the job. It’s an online interview so not in person. I’ve woken up with the sickness bug that my daughter had on Saturday.

Is it better to rearrange or risk being sick halfway through the interview?! My husband thinks it’s a really bad idea to rearrange the interview.

I’m obviously not going to infect them so that’s not an issue.

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Tue 24-Apr-18 13:04:15

If it's online I'd just do it and tell them that you're not well at the beginning.

It's not like you have to travel to be with them or worry about contagion. I'd just assume you were wasting my time to be honest.

MrsZB Tue 24-Apr-18 13:10:40

Yeah my husband said if you cancel you won’t get it.

I would just be so embarrassed if I had to run off to be sick half way through.

amusedbush Tue 24-Apr-18 13:17:41

I did an interview when I was deathly ill with a stomach virus because it was my dream job and I couldn't bear to cancel. I couldn't even get access to anti emetics at such short notice so I put on my game face and sucked lots of boiled sweets on the journey to the interview grin

I probably should have cancelled just because I shouldn't have been around people and I was being selfish. An online interview is different though, I say just do it.

AvocadosBeforeMortgages Tue 24-Apr-18 13:19:14

I turned up to an in person interview with a stomach bug. It turns out you don't perform very well when the only thing you can concentrate on is not vomiting mid interview.

As your performance will be impaired, I'd explain and ask to defer it for a couple of days. In your current condition you almost certainly won't get the job, whereas asking to delay means you have a fighting chance.

dingdongdigeridoo Tue 24-Apr-18 13:28:00

If it’s online I’d try to suck it up and get through it, warning them at the start I’m not at my best. If that’s just not possible then don’t be shy about rescheduling. These things happen.

halfwitpicker Tue 24-Apr-18 13:44:20

Your husband is right

halfwitpicker Tue 24-Apr-18 13:45:02

If you do have to run off to be sick just say you need the loo or something

bbpp Tue 24-Apr-18 13:50:48

I think you should do the interview. If I was the interviewer and you didn't perform great, I think I'd be likely to invite you to a second interview anyway just to make sure I've seen you when you're at your optimal. It might sort of work in your favour!

RoundaboutSnail Tue 24-Apr-18 14:00:14

Tell them you're not very well but really want the job so still wish to do the interview.

AornisHades Tue 24-Apr-18 14:03:40

Be up front and let them know asap that you very much want the interview to go ahead even though you're unwell.

whatshappening1 Tue 24-Apr-18 14:07:09

Online interview at least you can't infect them, I would say right at the beginning you aren’t feeling very well but you really want this job so apologise if you need to run off to be sick, I’m sure they will appreciate your commitment. Good luck!

MrsZB Tue 24-Apr-18 14:14:37

Thanks so much everyone.

I’m going to do it.

As sickness bugs go this isn’t the worst one I’ve ever had so I’ll give it my best shot!

CognitiveDissonance Tue 24-Apr-18 14:19:20

Good luck OP! I was going to say to go for it too. Fingers crossed all goes well smile

vandrew4 Tue 24-Apr-18 14:33:41

If you feel like you're going to throw up can you not disconnect the internet connection then tell them there are connectivity problems. They may then rearrange it?

PhaedrasChocolate Tue 24-Apr-18 14:36:42

If I was interviewing, it would impress me that someone wanted the job enough tbh.

whatshappening1 Tue 24-Apr-18 14:39:33

Don’t disconnect and say it's bad internet in case you ever have to work from home/ not a good excuse. Personally it would impress me if someone was ill and stayed for an online interview it shows commitment and that you really want the job

MrsZB Tue 24-Apr-18 14:42:58

I have only been sick once so far although I feel like crap. So hopefully it will be ok.

RoundaboutSnail Tue 24-Apr-18 16:18:40

When does it start?

amusedbush Tue 24-Apr-18 21:25:37

How did it go, OP?

MrsZB Wed 25-Apr-18 00:00:55

I wasn’t sick and despite feeling really crap I was offered the job!!! I’m really pleased. Thanks so much for the support everyone!

ilovesooty Wed 25-Apr-18 00:12:16

Congratulations!

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Wed 25-Apr-18 00:12:55

Well done for soldiering on! Congrats on the new role!

MrsZB Wed 25-Apr-18 00:26:38

Thank you!

AornisHades Wed 25-Apr-18 00:46:54

Go you! You got the job below par and when you're feeling good you should be extra impressive. Hope you get better soon!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: